GT10 in the fx loop of Mark V sounds different

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadlessAxeman

Reaction score
Got my Mark V hooked up to a Boss GT10 in the fx loop of the amp using the 4CM method...noticed a few things especially with Channel 3:

Hardbypass switch ON: ALL THE BALLS are there...upper harmonics ring out especially in Channel 3...MESA...YEAHHHH

Hardbypass switch OFF/FX Loop On with BOSS GT 10 in the loop(Channel 3): The upper harmonics seem to diminish and the amp seems to lose a lot of its balls immediately...the raw power of the channel 3 sounds a tad like mush..almost megadethish ...not the hard on inducing Lamb of God midsy tone.
Even with all the fx on the GT10 turned off, but just in the loop, the 24 bit DAC effect is noticable ...sounds a tad fizzy/digitized....(duh..no surprise there huh).

I use the Boss GT 10 for only these fx when I'm playing channel 3:
Mark V -> GT10 { Compressor, OD-Tubescreamer sometimes, Delay, 2 stage Noise Gate} -> Mark V Reverb ->Mesa Cabinet.

Now, most of the high end processors (G System/AxeFX) all still use 24 bit DACs as well..so ..it cant be that different in how the conversion happens, if any the difference should be in how the signal gets routed in the digtal processor.

My question is...this...

Any body else know how to make the best use of the GT10 in the fxloop? I'm not inclined to throw it away as I can use the GT 10 as a cheap(er) product for bedroom practice session, but I want to be able to use the pretty decent fx on the GT10 as well with the Mark V.
Has anybody tried using Slave Out on the Mark V for Return instead of the return fx loop ? (or would you even recommend it?)

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance fellas \m/

This might seem rather obvious, but the Slave Out is an output, and trying to use it as an input is a bit like sticking your dick in a lightbulb socket just because it'll fit.

And, on a side note you just discovered why Mesa insisted on using parallel effects loops for so long.

"This might seem rather obvious, but the Slave Out is an output, and trying to use it as an input is a bit like sticking your dick in a lightbulb socket just because it'll fit."

WTF.....LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
This might seem rather obvious, but the Slave Out is an output, and trying to use it as an input is a bit like sticking your dick in a lightbulb socket just because it'll fit.
Now he tells me! :lol: :lol:

screamingdaisy said:

This sage advice coming from somebody named "Screamingdaisy". Coincidence, or are we hearing the voice of experience? ;)

SteveO said:
screamingdaisy said:

This sage advice coming from somebody named "Screamingdaisy". Coincidence, or are we hearing the voice of experience? ;)

I didn't want to admit that it would fit in a wall socket...

bahahhaah...
:twisted:
using the slave out on the mark V instead of the Send I mean...

also..parallel effect loops...care to explain please?
Thanks!

HeadlessAxeman said:
bahahhaah...
:twisted:
using the slave out on the mark V instead of the Send I mean...

also..parallel effect loops...care to explain please?
Thanks!

The Slave Out comes after the FX loop return in the signal path... wiring it up that way will act as a feedback loop.

The idea behind a parallel loop is that you have your dry signal running parallel to your wet (effected) signal, with a blend knob to control the mix. The concept has good and bad points... one of the bad points being that it doesn't jive too well with effects that digitize the entire signal. One of the good points was that you could blend in delay and reverb effects without processing the entire signal.

Series loops (like in the Mark V) are simpler to use, and more compatible with a larger variety of outboard gear. The main problem with them is that the sound quality is totally dependant on the quality of the effects you plug into it, which usually means some level of compression and digital artifacts are introduced, creating a somewhat flatter sound.

Anyway, to be more helpful to your situation... try running the channel masters as low as possible so that they don't overload the GT-10, then crank up the master output knob to compensate.

I think it's pretty much established that parallel effects loops are a horrible idea, at least Mesa's. A cursory search of this forum would reveal that virtually no one likes them and there are many threads dedicated to modding the parallel back to serial.
The problem with the GT-10 is that there are many, many level controls: input level, individual effect level, patch level, output level, etc., and they all demand to be tweaked in order to match up with your gear. So get yer manuals out, dude, and proceed! :lol:

I have been using a GT-10 in a 4CM setup for a year now. It's quite alright for the purpose. I just can't use some modules like compression, overdrive, distortion without adding too much noise, but for the mods and delays its good and I can select the lead channel with the AMP CTL output.

When I play at home with headphone I use a set of patches based on the live patches but tweaked for studio work. I then use the TUNER output (below the SLAVE output).

@ScreaminDaisy: ..Yea...gotta try lowering the channel masters today evening and see how that works out.

@ LPJunky: Agreed..it does sound quite alright.....actually very good, but you know what I mean...you'll know you hear the difference.. Heck I'm still going to keep using the GT10 in the fx loop..even for Live situations. Rolling back the presence from 11:00 to 10:00 seems to roll off the digital fizz a little bit.

@MrMarkIII: I've had the GT 10 ever since it came out ..so..yea..all the levels are matched out at every stage within the GT10..pain in the *** procedure..but I'm a level matching nazi here :twisted: ...gotta hand it ...fizz or not, but the Advanced Compressor using FX1 instead of Compressor does a pretty sweet job..(MXR sux..Orange Squeezer/Boss CS3/Hi Gain kicks ***) when placed in the same location in the fx chain.

Latest posts

Back