GSP 1101 vs JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
Bought an 1101 the other day. Using a Schecter C-1 classic, I ran the Digitech straight into a Mesa 20/20 into a Mesa 1X12 Roadster. I went through every factory preset and found some nice ones. The tones were an improvement from the 2101 that I had in the early 90's although I don't know how fair that comparison is because I was using a solid state power amp with the 2101.

Hooked up the 1101 to the JMP-1 using the 4-cable method and opted for the JMP-1 as my preamp. I was impressed with the effects and don't miss my analog stomps. So far as effects go, I was really impressed with the Digitech - not too complicated but enough parameters to make a difference.

The JMP-1 clean tones are nothing to brag about. However, for whatever reason, the 1101 enhances the clean tones and brings them to life. I was thinking I would have to use the Marshall distortions and the Digitech cleans, but somehow the Marshall cleans surpassed the Digitech with the Digitech's effects, modelling, etc.

The EQs really make a difference, but my biggest surprise with the Digitech was the amp and cabinet sims. After reading more negative than positive comments, I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. Speaking of surprises, the Digitech's stompboxes worked quite well.

I didn't experience any tone suckage using the 4-cable method. I did experience a hum, which was remedied by moving around the cable going into the Marshall input.

I will say that I have not downloaded any of the Beta stuff onto my Digitech yet, as the Digitech reps on that board say there will be an official Digitech Beta release, which will address noise gate placement, etc. I've read posts from guys using the unofficial Beta download, and it sounds like the GSP 1101 with a Beta download is just a better machine with better tones.

My only complaint on the Digitech is the knobs stick out a bit far for my taste, but it's no biggie. My real complaint is about the JMP-1. I could REALLY use an input jack on the rear of the Marshall. Anybody know of somebody who does such a mod? I'm gonna search around for that!

Thanks to a bunch of folks on this board who posted their insights about the 1101 and other processors. I've only put 4 hours of playing time into the Digitech but am happy I bought it. In my opinion the JMP-1 has better distorted tones although the Digitech cleans can easily keep up with the Marshall's. With the Digitech processing though, I'd just as soon use the Marshall preamp for clean & distorted tones. However, it's nice knowing that I have a spare preamp, which could easily be used in a live show.

Just an update after another 10 hours logged onto the Digitech...

I sold the Marshall. When I ran it next to Digitech's presets using the Digitech preamp, I just couldn't tell a difference. I saw absolutely no need to run a 4-cable method and attract a bit of extra noise when I can plug directly into my 20/20 & get close to no noise.

I'm gonna plug the Digitech into Garageband this weekend & see what's what.

I have an 1101 that is four-cabled up to my Mark V, works really well in that application. Between the tones available from the V and the models in the GSP, there isn't much that I can't get tonewise.

It also does really well for direct recording, I run it straight into my interface.

I use my 1101 as a stand alone amp.

100_0518.jpg

100_0515-1.jpg

t0aj15 really nice setup! I use my digitech with an ENGL e530 preamp and a VHT 2502 and an Avatar cab in stereo. I use the ENGL for some patches and the Digitech for others. I'm close to using just the Digitech for all my sounds because I'm so impressed with it.

Running the Digitech into Garageband is a dream for a guy like me - I'm not an expert with microphone placement, etc. Plus, the Digitech has an adjustable recording level, which for some goofy reason, I cannot adjust when I run my Shure microphone into Garageband.

For those running the Digitech in stereo, is there a big difference between that & running in mono?

talltxguy said:
For those running the Digitech in stereo, is there a big difference between that & running in mono?
Yes and no. It depends on whether or not your using stereo efx, as well as are you using two cabs spaced widely enough apart to be able to hear the separation between the two channels.

Yeah t0aj15 is right. The wider you have your cabs the more drastic the sound will be. I have a single cab and it's set up in stereo. It's mostly noticeable with vibratos, panners, etc and ping pong delays.

Latest posts

Back