Grill removal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uloozer

Reaction score
So how hard is it to remove the grill on an oversize cab? I bought an extra grill off fleabay so that I could change the cloth.... Just curious if anyone else has done it..

there's a guy named hal9000 that used to post here, but i haven't seen him around for a while.

He did a thread that covered this process in detail, but it was for a small combo, not a 4x12.

The annoying part about this is that there are literally hundreds, if not close to a thousand, big staples that you have to remove by hand. Each staple is tapped in with a high pressure gun, so they are not very easy to remove. You have to do it with a flat-head screwdriver or knife.

After that, you place the new cloth on, stretch it very very tight, and get to work stapling. Then you mount it back on and put the piping.

The one on fleabay I bought I have already started to take apart...I'll have to say, YES there are a crap load of staples... Got two sides done and I had to take a day off... I couldn't believe they use so many staples....It sure as hell ain't going to come apart with out a lot of effort.... I bought an old marshall cab that I'm going to convert to match my mesa... Got a heck of a good deal on it or I wouldn't waste my time with it....

I've noticed that the Mesa grill I purchased has velco on the back but no screw holes, so I'm assuming that it's just held on by Velco....But it can't be that simple...

The one on fleabay I bought I have already started to take apart...I'll have to say, YES there are a crap load of staples... Got two sides done and I had to take a day off... I couldn't believe they use so many staples....It sure as hell ain't going to come apart with out a lot of effort.... I bought an old marshall cab that I'm going to convert to match my mesa... Got a heck of a good deal on it or I wouldn't waste my time with it....

I've noticed that the Mesa grill I purchased has velco on the back but no screw holes, so I'm assuming that it's just held on by Velco....But it can't be that simple...

I"m taking pic's of the process, so when I'm done I'll post the process....

Finally got the grill reupholstered... Grill is held in by screws from the inside of cab.. Don't know what was up with the extra grill frame. The top cab is a marshall that I am converting to a Mesa.. Yea, I know it's sin, but I couldn't afford a new cab, so I did the next best thing... The top one isn't completely done yet, still need the new tolex and gold piping...
DSC00400.jpg

not to shabby uloozer!!!! :D I had always wonderd what a Mesa cab would look like wit the Vintage Salt-N-Pepper Marshall grill. I'm thinking maybe a TV Marshall grill would look SICK!!!!!!! :twisted:

That is sweet looking. What grill cloth is that? Looks similar to Marshall Salt & Pepper, but also sort of looks like old Ampeg stuff as well.

Yea, it's the salt and pepper... Got it off ebay for 22 bucks a yard...Mojo wanted double that.... Got the Marshall stripped yesterday... I thought I could get away with water to remove the old adhesive since it's water based, NOT... had to bring out the belt sander... Works pretty good... I did buy the Tolex from Mojo... Perfect match...

Well here's the final product.... The marshall was a pain in the *** to retolex... hardest part was the "angle" of the front cabinet, it's not perfect but good enought for the girls I date.... The corners were the easist part....I'm really impressed how well the tolex matched the oringinal Mesa
Mesa_boogie_stack.jpg

The tolex itself took about 4 to 6 hours to complete.... To assemble took a little longer... all in all, it wasn't too bad...

Has Celestion G12T-75's... I think the combination goes rather well with the vintage 30's....

Back