Greetings all... 2 channel dual rec questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madryan

Reaction score
I'm new to the board, and new to Mesa's. I locked up a Dual Recto 2 channel that came into Guitar Center used and I'm curious about it. I fell in love with an identical amp at Island Guitars in Honolulu about 10 or so years ago. I plugged my Les Paul into it and was bowled over by the sheer awesome fat warm tube sound that came from it when cranked. So, when I saw the used one sitting there I immediately chiseled on the guy I deal with there and he cut it loose for $900. I paid most of it right there and will pay the rest later this month if not sooner.

My question... I have the serial number and can't find anyplace where I can look up when the amp was manufactured. Also, I have a Digitech 2101 preamp that I plan on running in the loop for effects. What's the best way to accomplish this? Last, I plan on having the amp tech I like here locally go through the thing and give it a thorough tuneup just in case and I'll probably throw a lower gain tube in V1 and possibly get a set of EL-34's to try out.

So if anyone has any ideas about where to look up my serial number it would be greatly appreciated.

If you post it up I am sure Boogiebabies or elpelotero could tell you a close approximation. Once you get it home you can pop the hood and check it out for yourself.

Unless the number is below 600 -700, I wouldn't be able to tell you the year. Below this range is '92-'93. Production really took off after the first few years.

Like Russ said, unscrew the chassis out and just look for the hand written signature. It should say something like 7/92 = July 1992.

I own a 2101 and though it was a cool effects unit at the time there are better options nowadays. There are some that still cling to the 2101, 2112, and 2120 though. There are even those still writing patches for them online. I would say that if you really want to use the effects of the 2101 I would bypass the preamp completely and use your Dual Rec as your primary source of preamp distortion. With this in mind I wouldn't configure the 2101 to run into the front of the Dual Rec but instead I would run it in the loop. Your Dual Rec should have an effects loop that you can run it in. Depending upon the revision you will have either a Series or Parallel loop. Either way you will only get mono effects. So forget about trying to use the stereo effects unless you find another amp to send to. The 2101 has some tone coloring so expect that even when you have completed dialing in your sound. I would also look at using a real wah pedal and maybe use the expression pedal on the footcontroller as a volume or just an expression pedal for those effects that allow for its use instead. The noise gate will be your friend. Be sure to use it. The onboard eq in the 2101 will also be very beneficial to shaping your sound. I guess the best advice is to be sure that you balance your levels using the setting on both units so you get the best sound possible.

Back