Greenback+ EV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pick up an Avatar 2x12 for my mark IV. If I put the EV blackshadow and the 25watt greenback in it would the greenback be ok with only 25 watts power handling? Also anyone have any idea what it would do to the sound? Thanks

When you figure max wattage a cabinet can handle, you add up the number of the lowest wattage speaker. Your cab with one greenback and one EV is still only a 50 watt cabinet. If you keep your volumes down, you'll be OK, but if you crank it up, you'll probably blow the greenback.

As far as tone, you're probably only going to hear the EV. Greenbacks aren't efficient speakers, while EV's are extremely efficient, so I imagine the EV will pretty much drown out the greenback.

adrenaline junkie said:
As far as tone, you're probably only going to hear the EV. Greenbacks aren't efficient speakers, while EV's are extremely efficient, so I imagine the EV will pretty much drown out the greenback.

+1 Not even worth it. I would just use the EV.

Do you know this concept called "detuned cab"? It only works with closed back cabs. If yours is a closed back you may want to give it a try.

A detuned cabs is a 2x12 closed back cab that only have one speaker mounted. The empty hole acts like a speaker. Is like a ported cab but the hole is not tuned for any frequency. I've never tried but a lot of people likes the tone of this cabs.

With 4x12 you need to leave two holes empty, the ones on the bottom.

What you have to do is to remove the greenback from the cab and left the hole empty. Your cab will became a 300W/8Ohm detuned cab.

those are both cool speakers in their own right, but they are not complimentary as other posters have said. in other terms, i like ice cream and i like bbq sauce, but.......

Latest posts

Back