Got some strange crackle sounds today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerChas

Reaction score
I powered up the V this afternoon leaving it in the standby mode as usual while it warmed up and I started getting some loud crackle sounds from the tubes. I turned it back off and waited a minute and turned the amp back on and it started to crackle for a few seconds and then faded to quiet. I thought maybe since the amp is still very new that it might be breaking the tubes in a bit. Is it normal for that to happen occasionally or should I be concerned?

It's usually a tube thing. Mine crackled a bit when I first got it, but it hasn't happened since (over seven months).

mine's new, i dont notice much crackling at standby, but once i heard a noise similar to crackling. it was the relays giong nuts, i pull the footswitch cord and it stopped and put it back in and it was fine.

I got the a subtle "frying bacon" sound a couple weeks ago...but no affect to the amp nor have I heard it
since.

Mine does it too! Its only lasts for awhile when I first turn it on at gigs but in my basement its terrible! Pulled all the pre amp tubes and replaced em and it still happens! Dunno what it is unless its output tubes. Seems like a common problem with these amps.

i think its the footswitch, it seems sometimes when i put flip the standby switch to on (so i can play) if all three channel lights on the footswitch are lit, then i hear a crackling noise. seems to be the relay's going crazy. again as soon as i hit a channel it stops, or if you reseat the footswtich cable that works.

Crackling is NOT good! I'd call Mesa......I would not tolerate something like that from a hand made amp of this caliber.

In my case it is definetly not the footswitch or its cable. Outside of the low volume occasional crackles I get during power up, it was the only time that the crackling was considerably louder than normal, and loud enough for me to turn the amp off and on again. I called Mesa and they said it might be that one of the power tubes is acting up and that I should just watch to see if it happens again. They also said they would send replacement tubes if the problem continued. So far it hasn't so hopefully it was just an oddity.

I was having a similar issue. I was getting a crackling sound through the speakers when I turned the amp on. It would go away eventually. The crackling kept getting worse and lasting longer, so I swapped out all the power tubes. Crackling is gone. The SED 6L6's I put in sound better overall to me as well.

Back