Got my Recto Recording Preamp back from Voodoo Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsmusic

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that Voodoo Mods has about the best customer service I have ever delt with! I talked to Trace (the owner) and Anthony that actually did my mod and they went out of their way to answer all my questions. I bought my Recto Pre new about 2 months ago, when I got it home it sounded good but it was'nt what I was hoping for. A little muddy on the didtortion and the cleans were'nt bright and chimmy like I was hoping for. Dont get me wrong I'm a huge Boogie guy, but your ear tells you what you want. I got it back and I've played through it quite a few hours and I can only say this was the best $295 I've spent. Trace also said to give it time to break in, it will only sound better. The cleans ring out, they are crystal clear with much more sustain, and then the GAIN!! The gain is very clean, and it still has that Recto high gain, you hear every string ring out when playing a chord, the sustain and harmonics come out of my guitar so easy! I said about a month ago I would write how I liked the mod, it would have been tough if I would have hated it because those guys are such good people to work with I would have hated to give them a bad review, but all I can say is they came through with shining colors!!!!!! If you're thinking about doing this, go for it! You won't be sorry! This sounds like I'm advertising for them, or getting paid for this, well I'm not, I wish, I'm just that happy with my sound!!

Last would be the hard part for me. I'm doing good just to check my emails and get on these sites, I'm not good on the computer but as soon as I get some help I will do it. Thanks

AAAH you're telling me. I'm about the same. Sometime I watch video made by kids on youtube and I can't believe I'm not able to do the third of it. If we calculate the time I take to figure out how to do things on the computer, I'm about sure that in the same lapse you will be twice time better than me... I started with a pc few years ago, I had so much trouble that I quitted. Now I use an Imac it's much user friendly, I still suck with computer but I just less aware of it since I got my mac. :?

It's ok take your time, with help everythings getting easy on computer.

Does it have as much gain as before, or more ?

I like my Recto pre, but I have to turn up the gain quite high to get that creamy sustain but then the bottom gets a little tubby, loses definition. I use modern mode exclusively.

I think it has more gain, not a lot, but it is a tighter clearer gain, I play metal and I'm using the vintage mode because the mod really made it open up and come alive. Its really hard to use words to describe what I'm hearing but the before and after is easy to hear. I've spent $250 on pedals that did'nt help my tone much, and I hate to think of how much I've spent over the years to improve my tone but for $295 you cant go wrong, and if you dont like it I guess you can go back to the way it was. I acually looked them up because I heard a 5150 that had been modded, this is right after I sold my Roaster 1/2 stack to go in stereo and switch to all rack gear, after I heard the 5150 I was pissed because that amp sounded so good. So I just did some research and looked up reviews and went for it! It really added to the bottem end of my sound also, the muddy hissy sound is gone.

We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the tones and that we could accommodate your needs. If you need anything at all or if there any questions you may have please do not hesitate to let us know.

Have a great day! :)
Trace

VERY interested in clippage.

300 bucks 'aint that bad. The mod I would love is to have the solo boost work on the modern mode.

Latest posts

Back