Got my new Express 1 x 12 extension cab today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbf

Reaction score
After waiting several weeks for the good folks at Mesa to build it, I received my Express 1x 12 Express extension cab today. It sounds really good and looks cool with the 5:50 sitting atop it. It really widens the sound coming from the amp, although I may try and cover up the back to experiment with how it effects the lower end. I'm planning to cut a solid piece of wood and velcro it in place. If I like it a few screws will do nicely. I don't know if the type of wood I use to cover the rest of the back will matter. If so, recommendations are appreciated in advance. :)

You should be able to get a piece of birch plywood (3/4" thick?) at a home improvement store. They even sell it in 2' x 2' pieces.

I believe it $389, maybe $429...something like that. It's every bit as solid as the amp and came with the same heavy duty cover.

Thanks, Don....I'll be on the look out for the birch plywood you suggested.

vbf said:
After waiting several weeks for the good folks at Mesa to build it, I received my Express 1x 12 Express extension cab today. It sounds really good and looks cool with the 5:50 sitting atop it. It really widens the sound coming from the amp, although I may try and cover up the back to experiment with how it effects the lower end. I'm planning to cut a solid piece of wood and velcro it in place. If I like it a few screws will do nicely. I don't know if the type of wood I use to cover the rest of the back will matter. If so, recommendations are appreciated in advance. :)

So vbf - coulpa questions -
did you get an open back cab
was this a custom cab Mesa made for you ?
what speaker did you get ??
is it wired so you can operate both the combo speaker and the cab simultaneously ???

Q) did you get an open back cab?

yes, I went with the open back as the sales rep said it was "voiced" to match the amp. That sounded reasonable to me knowing I had the option of covering the back if I wanted to. I'm planning to experiment with covering the back.

Q) was this a custom cab Mesa made for you?

It wasn't a custom cab. Apparently Mesa doesn't make then warehouse their products waiting to sell em. They build to order and I ordered a standard cab and took about 4 weeks.

Q) what speaker did you get?

stock black shadow

Q) is it wired so you can operate both the combo speaker and the cab simultaneously

yes, this is the primary reason I purchased it. For larger venues I wanted a more open sound and it doesn't disappoint. I run both speakers at 4 ohms,

vbf said:
Q) did you get an open back cab?

yes, I went with the open back as the sales rep said it was "voiced" to match the amp. That sounded reasonable to me knowing I had the option of covering the back if I wanted to. I'm planning to experiment with covering the back.

Q) was this a custom cab Mesa made for you?

It wasn't a custom cab. Apparently Mesa doesn't make then warehouse their products waiting to sell em. They build to order and I ordered a standard cab and took about 4 weeks.

Q) what speaker did you get?

stock black shadow

Q) is it wired so you can operate both the combo speaker and the cab simultaneously

yes, this is the primary reason I purchased it. For larger venues I wanted a more open sound and it doesn't disappoint. I run both speakers at 4 ohms,

I got a custom cab made by a local amp maker / one man operation.
Mines a closed 2x12" cab with v30's, wired to run by itself or with combo speaker together, has rugged carry handles and cost US$300 :mrgreen:

I've got an old Marshall 1X12 cab that I bought for $100 and stuck a 12" alnico Blue Dog in it. Now I've got a Mesa/Marshall/Weber stack. Sounds great. Hooked it (the 12"er) up the other day with a 4X10 4 ohm Peavey cab. Kicked some serious butt.

I'm almost wishing I'd just gone with the 5:25 head.

Want to try the 12" cab with a 1X15 next. You don't see many 15" cabs for guitar.

I got a yamaha sp15 somethingor other p.a. cab for $40 bucks. Gutted it, left the holes open for ports, and put a 15 inch alnico Blue Dog in it. Awesome sound, but I wanted to tweak it a bit further.

So a 15 inch ceramic Michigan is on its way to my house......

Do some serious kickin with an EVM15L!! :twisted:

15's are seriously overlooked these days.

I was going to order a British garnet red cab to match my 5.50 but the prices are stupid, around £700, which for the Americans is about $1200 :(

No way is a wooden box with a Celestion speaker in worth £700, Celestions are really cheap and a box isn't worth much.

Back