Got my modified 3ch DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
My 3ch Dual Rec is back from being modified by JerryP of FJA Mods.
-Mercury Magnetics OT
-Circuit mods to tame fizz and liven up clean channel
-Bias mod

The Bias pot is installed inside the chassis and will require pulling the chassis from the shell to get to it. The amp is now running with 6L6s in the 6L6 position at 32mA.
The amp definitely feels and sounds different, but still very much like a Mesa Dual Rec. This will probably be difficult to put in words as it is one of those 'you have to hear it to believe it' things, but I will try. I guess a good way to put it is that it still very much has the same Mesa voice, but is refined and higher quality.
The bottom end is much tighter and punchier. The high end has lost its harshness making the presence much more useable. This has opened up the Vintage mode for me. Before the mod it sounded like there was a blanket over it and it seemed dull. Now I can get the presence up high enough to help get the high end balanced and cutting through w/out ice pick city. It actually sounds more like my old T-verb Vintage mode now.
The clean mode is also much more lively. Feels more dynamic.
So far I am very happy with it. I have a lot more playing to do!

You'll definitely have to post some clips of this modified beast! Sounds very interesting.

Ciao ...

Storm said:
You'll definitely have to post some clips of this modified beast! Sounds very interesting.

Ciao ...

I will give it a try. Not sure if I will be able to capture its mojo to do it justice. I wish I would have tried to record beforehand to have a point of reference, but there just isn't enough time in the days :(

Some time in the future, come more funds, I'll get another 3 channel dual recto and get it modded...then I can compare the two head to head.

Btw, did the moddifier put new tubes in it? That could also be a large culprit in the better tone. The Stock mesa tubes really aren't too good, sonically, IMO.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Some time in the future, come more funds, I'll get another 3 channel dual recto and get it modded...then I can compare the two head to head.

Btw, did the moddifier put new tubes in it? That could also be a large culprit in the better tone. The Stock mesa tubes really aren't too good, sonically, IMO.

No new tubes. This amp is a 2001 and I am at least the 3rd owner. I put new SED 6L6s in the power section and Tung Sol and 9th Gen Chinese in the preamp shortly before modifying.

Try this amp with JJ KT77s

Give them about 20 hours to fully break in.

I have a Modded Dual Rec too.

kramerxxx said:
Try this amp with JJ KT77s

Give them about 20 hours to fully break in.

I have a Modded Dual Rec too.

What differences do they make? Are they a replacement for 6L6...meaning run the amp in 6L6 mode? I can adjust the bias now too, which is nice.

It is an EL34 replacement.

It is the right between a 6L6 and an EL34 sound.

Great highs, mids and lows.

It doesn't have quite as much bottom as a 6L6.

It doesn't have the midrange hump of an EL34.

Great tube for soloing and chunk rhythm.

Back