Got my first tube amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatMush

Reaction score
Ok, got an F-50 this after noon. Bought it without hearing it ! I made my decision base on the clips in the F-lounge.

The amp as a wonderfull clean channel. I am in love with it. Pure, spanky, clear, bell like tone. Im an addict.

I play at bedroom level in my appartement. Considering this I have problems with the second channel.

I find the second channel to not having enough "gain" or saturation. The distortion sound to my ears more like "grundge" instead of metal. I have trouble to play chunky palm mute and pinching harmonics everywhere.

I am used to play my Chameleon Online, and I admit to have spoiled myself with oversaturated distortion.

What can I do to bring more "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ" to my sound. I play at very low MAster level. Do the distortion benefit that much from power amp section. (i could buy a THD Hot PLate).

Could I put a Overdrive Pedal before the input. If I would benefit from it which one do you suggest ( I ask because I am not up the date, I quit playing for 6 years ! Yes I know, I have to rebuild my chops !).

I have an old Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. I remember using it in the loop of my first amp (Peavey special 112) to saturate the distortion. Would that help with the F-50.

I don't want to part from the amp because I am hooked to the clean channel, but I need more distortion from the second+contour.

Thanks for your answers.

GreatMush

(Excuse my english, it is my second language)

Welcome to the world of tubes!! And welcome to the board!!

Yeah, a THD Hotplate would let you get into the power amp saturation a little easier, but I don't know if it's going to be at a "Bedroom" level though or be as much gain as you want. I tried a F-50 and LOVED the clean, VERY Fender Deluxe-ish.... But the distortion wasn't quite there for me. I like the Rectifier line better, I also like the rectifier cleans but I will admint they aren't as clean as the F-Series or LS series.

Could I put a Overdrive Pedal before the input. If I would benefit from it which one do you suggest

Even though you've been out of the circuit for 6 years, your ears still know good sound when you hear it (weither it's old or new). Try a Ibanez Tubescreamer or if you have the money, go for the Mesa Boogie V-Twin (about $300 us dollars used) or even the Bottle Rocket. I've used both and really like both, but I use the V-twin more for the extra "umph" I get from it and the blues and lead channels. I use it on my clean channel for some slight gain and sometimes I'll run my T-verb at a lower gain and use the V-twin (or Tubescreamer) for gain boost to get the metal sound.

I'd try the pedal you have and then see if you can try one of the other pedals I mentioned or even a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster to send more signal to your amp and overdrive those preamp tubes more.

Thats my $.02 worth.

Latest posts

Back