Got a Mark III at a good deal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonZombie

Reaction score
A good friend of mine was going to sell his Green Stripe Fully Loaded Mark III Head along with 2 1x12 cabs to Daddy's Junky Music for $600. I couldn't watch Him do that so I jumped on it. I have a bunch of Heads but could never tap into the sound I was looking for. I have 2 JCM 800'S a stock 50W and a Voodoo Modded 100W, a Dual Rectifier 2 channel Rackmount, a Lee Jackson Ampeg VL-502 and a Crate Lee Jackson Stealth. The Mark III is blowing me away! The Mark III is a bit rough. Could use a good cleaning and the Lead Master knob is broken off. Man is this Amp LOUD. I have a gig tomorrow and I can't wait to let it Scream!
P1020806.jpg

Unbelievable score!!! what a price!

The ultimate yoda rig. Small, compact and kicks butt!

congrats!

I called a authorized Mesa repair shop today about the Volume knob.
I was quoted $80 for the repair.
Sounded a bit high to me to replace one pot and knob.
That sound right to you guys?

Great score, 80 dollars for the volume knob is about right. Seems high but most shops have a minimum rate, knob being about 10 dollars, the pot another 10 plus 60 dollars bench charge.

If you're buying at Daddy's Junky Music, are you in New England somewhere? If you travel to us, and if you supply the potentiometer and knob from Mesa, maybe one of us New Englanders could install the pot for you for the price of a beer...

Just a thought. I'm in southern Vermont...

Chip

Thanks GTS. Ill call Mesa tomorrow and order the parts.
The Amp sounded amazing at the gig last night.
Finally the tone I have always wanted!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

RonZombie - Throw out a post next time you are playing out. I live near Hartford and would come out to a show.

Looks great...nice..compact...lots of power....split those cabs..have been doing that last few gigs....much bigger sound...stick your amp and one bottom on a crate or something to get it up a little...

I ran it through my Marshall 1960A and it ripped!

boogieman60 said:
Looks great...nice..compact...lots of power....split those cabs..have been doing that last few gigs....much bigger sound...stick your amp and one bottom on a crate or something to get it up a little...

Will do.
I am in a few bands. My original band is a goof on 80's Leather and Spike Metal like ManOwar meets Spinal Tap lol.
www.NastyDisaster.com
Had A Metallica cover band Alcoholica but we are on a extended break.
A Metal cover band Metal Up Your ***.
And the newest The Gabba Ghouls a goof on East Haven lol.
herrball said:
RonZombie - Throw out a post next time you are playing out. I live near Hartford and would come out to a show.

Good Score! My M3 is the way to go for loud and crazy. I use mine for the gigs when we trailer our gear/or play outside and can really open it up.

I played through a Recto Oversized 4x12 last night at practice and hated it.
Too much bottom end not the tight crunch I get from the 1x12's.
How are the older Mesa half back 4x12's?

RonZombie said:
I played through a Recto Oversized 4x12 last night at practice and hated it.
Too much bottom end not the tight crunch I get from the 1x12's.

I have both a mesa 4x12 straight recto and a marshall 1960 BV for my c+

I diffently think the mesa gets a bit to much in the bass department ,the c+ puts out alot of sub lows and sounds huge through this cab it almost overwhels the rest of the band ,infact it dos, the marshall is much tighter and has more midrange sounds and really sounds amazing when cranked but sound is not as big as with the recto , im getting another 1960bv and will try the side by side stack setup and see have that sounds and if that will give me the best of both worlds :twisted:

Thank you for the info.

gts said:
RonZombie said:
The bottom end will be similar to the Thieles you have if there are EV's in the bottom of the old halfback 4x12.
Btw it looks like there are EV's in your two thieles. Only way to be sure would be to take the back off and see what they look like but EV's were standard for thieles for cabs from that era.

Speakers make such a big difference.

EV's up top in a 4x12 might do it for you, or C90's, or Vintage 50's, or MS-12's.
Any and or all the above were used in the old 4x12 halfbacks in various combinations.

Back