Good lord!! I finally tapped into the power of my MKIV!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swansong

Reaction score
I hate to gush like a school girl BUT I finally found out what the MKIV can do.
I have been getting so-so sounds out of this thing and have been going back to my DC-5 (which is a great amp in its own right).
But when I bought this red lizard skin long head, it had the outer power tubes switched out I think to EL34's maybe or 6L6 (one of them comes with the amp and the other was put there for different tones - I'm not going to the basement to look right now :D )
Anyway, I pulled out the 2 power tubes from my DC-5 (they were the same as the inner 2 tubes in the MarkIV) and put those in the MKIV.
Then I took a setting that one of you guys suggested that sounded good and when I plugged my 30th Anniversary Goldtop Les Paul in I was in tone heaven!!!!!
This thing sounded like everytone has been describing. I am pinching myself as this amp is a keeper. I was thinking of dumping it for a VettaII :oops: Just goes to show you how wacked out we can get.

Here are the settings:
R1 gain - 4.5 pull
R2 gain - 10 pull
R1 treble - 6
R1 + R2 bass - 3
R1 + R2 mid - 5.5
R2 treble - 9.5
R1 - presence - 7
R2 - presence - 9.5 pull
Lead presence - 7
Lead Gain 8 pull
Lead Treble - 8
Lead Bass - 2
Lead Mid - 1.5
Lead Drive - 7 pull
R1 Master - 4
R2 Master - 3
Lead Master - 4

EQ:
80 - 3/4 to top
240 - center
750 - 3/4 bottom
2200 - bottom line
6600 3/4 top
out put level - 3
Power - full
Simuclass
Pentode
Harmonics
Reverb 1.5

Have fun! I'm going to get a sub a Quizzano's and come back and jam!!

Right on,

I had all 6L6's in mine, but one of the guys who works in our store broke one of the tubes today. I'm thinking about trying E34L's in the outer sockets.

Just out of curiosity, does your head have a black spot on the top? If so, that is a great amp, I bought it from the Mesa factory a few years ago and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since for selling it.

Monsta-Tone said:
Right on,

I had all 6L6's in mine, but one of the guys who works in our store broke one of the tubes today. I'm thinking about trying E34L's in the outer sockets.

Just out of curiosity, does your head have a black spot on the top? If so, that is a great amp, I bought it from the Mesa factory a few years ago and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since for selling it.

I bought it on ebay from some guy in Hawaii

Monsta-Tone said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was me! What a small world.

Whoa! Hey what was the main reason you changed out the tubes? What were you going for?

I just printed out your settings and I'll give them a go tomorrow when I can crank it up a bit and not disturb the neighbors... Thanks!

EDIT: I just turned all my knobs to match your settings, and I was pretty close on about half of the settings. I'm interested to hear the difference. I started out with JPs settings and I've slowly started changing it to 'my' sound. I like the looks of your unique settings, but I'm not sure how the 2200 eq slider being on the bottom line will sound. We'll see!

I'm just learning about the Mark IV's. Can all Mark IV's have 6L6 and EL34's in at the same time and is it assignable per channel like the Road King? Thanks!

outer tube sockets can accept EL34s coz they are biased 'colder'. This gives the amp a more british or tighter sound. The inner tubes must be 6L6's. In Class A mode, you use just the 6L6's and in Simul Class mode you use both. You can also use 6V6's but there are some strict requirements for how to run the amp. I prefer all 6L6's personally.

Every couple of months I swap tubes in my Mark IV and **** with the settings from scratch and I get giddy all over again.

Goddamn I love this amp.

:twisted:

What type of cab/speaker is normally paired with the Mark IV? I have an Avatar Vintage with Hellatone 60L's.

I am an advocate of the thiele cabs. I have two thieles and an open back cab. I love the tone variations and portability the (3) 1x12's offer...

Wow man! I had a chance to mess with your settings today and they sound great! I'm kind of surprised, but they really sound awesome! I'll stick with them for a while! Thanks...

Latest posts

Back