good blues sound MK4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwater

Reaction score
im looking for a nice blues sound out of the Mk4...like a overdriven fender type of thing...i know just ge a fender then..:)
i want the options of the three channells ..more of a vintage type of sound opposed to rock, like a fatter sound...iv got the MK4 with the ev and a 2x12 with 2 black shadows in ..not sure what options i should be looking at ..class a/b ..pentode triode..simul ect any help will be appreciated..thanks
Paul

I tend to use my IV in Tweed and depending on venue will then either use Class A or bump it a little in Simul.

Learn to use the Treble pots to set up the whole character of the channel - I tend to run these suprisingly low as it gives me more scope to turn the masters up to get the Power Section singing.

I also find that dialling OUT a little more mid than normal also lends itself to a smoother blues tone.

I run mine in full power and Simul (more bite) and triode (more vintage). Channel 2 gets me a great blues tone with gain at 7 (try pulling as well), treble around 7-8, bass at 3-4 and mids 5-6, presence (pushed) at 3. I'd recommend a slight reverse "V" in the eq. Boosting the mids helps thicken it.

Man that stevie ray vaughn sound has been played to death, Walter Trout uses a strat and a Mark 4 and gets an awesome blues tone and there,s clips of him on the mesa website talking about the differences in tone between the mark 3 and the mark 4, it,s like a breath of fresh air in an S.R.V clone inspired blues universe.

Rolling back the pickup volume on the guitar helps get a bluesy sound too. I use my strat on about 3/4 volume and my Les Paul at about half. It really depends on how hot your pickup is. Seems like the exact opposite of playing a through a Peavey or Fender where you need hot pickups to get that pushed tone. You have to pull back on the Mark IV. :D

Has any one been able to get any info on Walter Trout's settings of the MK-IV ?
I've tried to find something on the internet but no luck.
BTW, if you check my MK-II Blues tone thread, this sound is vary similer to Walter Trout's sound to my ears.

Itsik

I have an old magazine interview where Walter talks about his settings in detail!He uses the manuals death metal settings lol(funny but not a joke!!!)with the treble most of the way up and the middle and bass at about 2(ish)He keeps the amp on the lead channel and uses his strats volume control to clean up his sound by rolling back the volume.Surpisingly he keeps his amp on the class a setting as it,s miked up.I,m amazed when people on these posts cite Dream Theater, Whitesnake,Santana and all the other purveyors of the boogie sound and Walter never seems to get a mention.

I looked thru my manual but I can't find any setting there named "Metal"/"Death Metal"
Any chance you could post those settings here ?

Thnx
Itsik

I,ve just checked my copy of the manual and you know what your right!I think Water was having a laugh with the interviewer when he said ''death metal setting'' but as i said his settings roughly were gain..8/9(ish),treble..maxed(lol),bass and middle..2(ish).....ONLY USES LEAD CHANNEL!Walter has the mark 4a......did this have a different manual?i,m sure i read on one of these posts that it did.He plays his mark 4 through a mesa 4x12 halfback cab with two ev,s and two black shadows which he says also make a big differece from a cab with all the same speakers....hope that helps.

Definitely a different manual. Follow this link to see it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c92e93a981b65b407069484bded33bcd0be4f3ea7be74b37
Still, no "Death Metal" settings listed.

Yep. I probably have the newerver.
Thnx :)
I'll give it a try

Itsik

Latest posts

Back