GIBSON OR PAUL REED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Play all the LPs and PRSi you can get your hands on and let the tone/feel decide. You can put 10 differen PRSi or 10 different LPs next to each other and each one will have a different sound and feel. When you find "the" one you'll know it. Its what i did when i was looking for a PRS and ended up with one of the best guitars i've ever played.

now with that aside, I like PRSi for their versatility, which is something i found lacking in many of the LPs i've played. dont get me wrong some of those LPs sounded fantastic but in the end the feel and comfort of a PRS is just it for me. The neck shape and body just fit me so well so for me a PRS was the better choice, but i wouldnt have known that without playing just about every guitar ic ould get my hands on... never know which one will be the one.

I got a PRS myself... And I think it is the coolest guitar in the world....

BUT..

My Girlfriend plays a Les Paul Standard Sunburst, just like Slash, and sometimes, just for a short while... I am as jealous as hell !

One thing the Les Paul always seems to have that many guitars are often found wanting, they just look so good! But my next guitar will be a PRS singlecut....

Obviously this will not help you in the slightest, so best advice I can give is try out tons of guitars and ...

Don't choose the guitar, let the guitar choose you.

Ive got an early PRS Custom 24. I built for Kramer, Ran a guitar shop in upstate N.Y, and have been repairing guitars for over 30 years. Once you own a PRS playing someone elses guitar is like jumping out of your Maseratti and into a borrowed chevy.

I have a bunch of cool guitars that I want to work into band use so bad.......but......no matter what....my Les Paul always sounds wayyyy better than any of my others, so I end up using it most of the time. (it's an average cherry sunburst one too....so it's not even as fashionable as I'd like!)

Before you take this endorsement too heavily, I need to confess 1 thing> I'm dying to buy a nice PRS. "Some day".....

I know you're asking about LP's (as far as gibson), but out of all of my guitars, my explorer sounds the best by far. I have a LP too...

Have you looked into Tom Anderson Guitars?
A Cobra with Hums or an Atom with M-series pickups would fill in nicely for you. Strat and LP sounds in one guitar. Plus the options available are more than Gibson or PRS. I've been playing over 30 years and I've never been more happy with a guitar. John Suhr makes great stuff too..
just my .02

Shaun

like a few others have said. sit down and play a lot of both kinds. Play them through your amp and your speakers.

When you are spending that much on a guitar it's best to sit down and play the instrument.

Personally I think Gibson quality is hit and miss and they are overpriced and riding on the fame of their former glory. With PRS the quality is always very good but IMO they are overpriced too.

If I had the money available to me though, I would probably lean towards PRS. Their are few other companies that make guitars that are that nice and they are gorgeous.

every PRS i have tried has played better than every les paul i have tried, i now own a PRS, both are very overpriced, but at least the PRS will MOST LIKELY play better ( im sure there are some amazing LPs out there, i just havent played one)

Commander Coo1 said:
every PRS i have tried has played better than every les paul i have tried, i now own a PRS, both are very overpriced, but at least the PRS will MOST LIKELY play better ( im sure there are some amazing LPs out there, i just havent played one)

I know a lot have said PRS is overpriced but i tend to disagree. They have top notch quality and extremely durable. My old bandmate played two years with his of 5 days a week of practice and at least 3 days a week worth or gigs. Aside from some of the cosmetic wear, the guitar never needed a setup, the intonation was always on spot. He has since bought many other guitars (LPs, SGs and Strats) and has probably needed a proper setup every 6 months. So in the long run his PRS investment ended up saving him some $$$ and was IMO the best sounding guitar he's owned.

Now I'm not saying other companies dont produce that type of quality and durability, I just think most PRSi are worth their money and aren't really overpriced. Now some obviously are (Private Stock, Santana, Braz Limited), but overall your standard McCartys, CU24s, CU22s and especially the Mira seem to be priced right for what you get. And if you dont wnat all the glitzy stuff they have the more affordible standard and CE models.

On top of that I've played many many many guitars mid to high end guitars in the past few years, and has always been the most comfortable and in most situations best sounding overall guitars out there. If i played a different style my opinion would most likely be different, but for what I do a PRS usually fits the bill... the only other guitar i crave is a Gibsonor custom made explorer which i will have someday (when PRS puts out a similar model :twisted: ).

The CE models are discontinued so if you are interested in one get one now.

I've owned both. I have to agree I have had more problems with stock Gibsons than PRS. Inevitably I always replace the PUPs in my Gibsons while I have kept my PRSs stock.

Also, don't go to GC to try guitars (PRS or Gibson). Bunch of **** kids detuning guitars, turning everything up to 10 playing through the Line 6 amps. I would never buy a guitar that was hanging in GC. Go to a smaller dealer for both if you can find one near you. Also, hopefully they have an amp room where you can drag your amp and wail away!

PRS McCarty
PRS DGT Goldtop
Fender American Deluxe
Gibson BluesHawk
Gibson LP Standard

I've got an LP and a PRS and I think they're both great guitars but very different. I think it's all a matter of what feels and sounds good to you.

What do you mean by most perfect????
The most perfect for you? Only you can decide. If everyone were exactly the same in every way, then there would be only one of EVERYTHING.
If you are down to choosing between a Gibby and PRS then only you can pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Back