Getting good cleans from a 2 channel Dual Rec...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the first Recto models (pre 95 or so) aren´t exactly known for it´s clean sound. Later 2 ch model have improved clean, but you still had to crank the treble and presence to get it to sparkle.

I have a 96 dual recto, and I recently compared it to a early model (serial# in the 400 range) which the guitarrist in a band we recently started to share rehearsal space with have.

My clean sound was cleaner and less dark, actually sounds pretty good whith the treble and presence set to 2 0´clock or so. Gain around halfway and the guitar in split humbucker mode. I usually set the mid very low in the clean mode to make the bass a little more noticable. The older amp distorted earlier and sounded pretty flat to me. A bit boring.

The older amp made up for it in the distortion modes though, fatter, tighter and more focused. Mine can be pretty buzzy at some settings, the older amp had none of this.
But my amp had better clean sounds.

I still wouldn´t mind having his amp. Those early models are really something in the distorted modes. Maybe he´ll sell it to me.

Newer recto´s are even better in clean mode, especially the RKII and the Roadster.
The Mark IV clean mode is very good, but right now I really love the clean mode on my Diezel Herbert.

Well I have a triple rec and I have an incredible clean with these settings.

These might not work well though on a DR since it has less head room though, but you should try these anyway.

Presence: 12:30
Master: Max (yes, all the way up)
Gain:9:30ish or less.
Bass: 11:30
Mid: 1:30
Treble: 1:30

Output: 12 or less.

And of course the 30 in 12:30 etc. means halfway between 12 and 1.

The pick-up is set to the mid position. If you have a guitar with active pickups, you might have to turn the volume a bit down to prevent saturation. These settings give me a mild cruchy sound when the guitar is set to the bridge position.

If I need anything brighter/cleaner than this, I have a Fender combo. Duh...

Cheers,
~Ben~

What cabinet are you going thru? I prefer cleans thru an open back cabinent.

Though I often hear people talk about how bad the sounds are, I like the sounds of the cleans I get out of my old DR using a PRS (strat doesn't sound quite as good thru the amp IMO). I sometimes wonder if they're playing with really hot pick-ups into an oversized 4x12, wondering why it doesn't sound like a strat thru a blackface. :)

mlockett said:
What cabinet are you going thru? I prefer cleans thru an open back cabinent.

Though I often hear people talk about how bad the sounds are, I like the sounds of the cleans I get out of my old DR using a PRS (strat doesn't sound quite as good thru the amp IMO). I sometimes wonder if they're playing with really hot pick-ups into an oversized 4x12, wondering why it doesn't sound like a strat thru a blackface. :)

i agree, however, an amp with good clean shouldn't have to come down to this much effort...

man i LOVE my clean tones. orange channel is set to modern(biggest diferent rigth there) bold style. neck pup on a g400. presene(all in oclock)11, treble:almsot 3 mids:2 bass:12 gain:9
its very sparkly and super warm for me

Back