Getting good cleans from a 2 channel Dual Rec...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
...is it possible? I'm getting so sick of the poor cleans on this amp that I'm thinking about selling it as much as it would pain me to do so. Has anyone got any good settings for a clean sound on the older Rectos?! Cheers guys.

two ideas, one of which i've done.

1. max out the presence, mid, treble. adjust gain and bass to taste. you need to really crank the volumes and play in an open space. also, fiddle with your guitar knobs and pickups as much as you can.
2. mod the preamp to make it brighter, similar to what some people do on the Mark2's and 3's, etc.

Clone the Orange Channel to Modern..makes it brighter.

Change v1 for a bright, sparkly tube.... EH 12ax7, Ei 12ax7...there must be others.

6L6s will give the best clean tones as far as I know too.

Botch said:
...is it possible? I'm getting so sick of the poor cleans on this amp that I'm thinking about selling it as much as it would pain me to do so. Has anyone got any good settings for a clean sound on the older Rectos?! Cheers guys.

Absolutely I have... I get great cleans from my old 2 Ch's.

JKD said:
Clone the Orange Channel to Modern..makes it brighter.

I was gonna suggest that, as was the case with my '00 two channel, but I'm not sure the earlier one's have channel cloning? I also , of course, selected "clean", not "variable high gain" for that Orange channel. Not sure of that option either?
My settings were:
Presence & Treble @ 2 o'clock.
Mids @ 9 o'clock.
Gain & Bass @ 11 o'clock.

The big thing was getting off the treble pup!

do as everyone else does, by a seperate amp for cleans, like a roland jazz or even a flextone II 1x12 combo.

thanks for the replies so far. i've tried the channel cloning but it still didn't achieve a decent clean and i already use 6L6s. i will definately be trying the settings you guys have posted. any more tips are welcome. cheers!

im right with you on it i'm coming very close to selling mine and getting an orange head to match my cab

I cloned the orange to modern and used a chorus pedal ran in front of the amp...

decent clean tone...

Vote number two for a Mark IV......

I assume the tone you are looking for just isn't inside the DR stock. Maybe you can look into getting a preamp to run into the DR (like a studio preamp or Quad preamp) so you don't have to get rid of the DR head if you really like it for its distorted tone.

Have you tried different cabs? I found that I like brighter sounding amps with bright speakers. Currently I use a Mesa Mark series 212 with c90 and EV 12l speakers. It's bright but can be tamed.

Good luck,

Greg

Orange's are nice amps, but they are no recto's, if you love the recto distortion you will be back. I have done the same thing, got rid of all my recto's only to come back to them. They just have there unique growl that you will not get from any other amp.

There are so many better solutions, like i said you can usualy get a cheap flextone II 1x12 for about $250ish. What is good about this solution is not only do you get a great clean with built in effects, but you can also play around with some other dirty distortions for mild gain parts.

If you play mostly clubs with PA systems then a POD 2.0 will be just as good and more portible.

I personaly use a 2 channel recto and either a bogner XTC or my DC3 or one of my POD's, I have both the PRO and the 2.0's.

To switch between amps I have a Sound sculture Head Trip. I can switch up to 3 different amp heads and 2 different speaker cabinets or just 1 speaker cabinet. It is a great unit. Two Built in serial loops so i do not need to mod mine at all, plus it shares the loops with all the heads. It is not perfect, it is midi but it is preset so you cant change anything. But it does give you many different options on how to run it, or you can just run it with a foot pedal.

verity38 said:
im right with you on it i'm coming very close to selling mine and getting an orange head to match my cab

Botch said:

Have you tried a compressor to see if that will clean it up a little? It may help smooth it out a bit.

I just realized: Umm, your guitars are'nt exactly helping you out here! I mean, I don't really consider the SG as the consumate "clean" guitar! :shock: And the Tokai, I don't know enough of

I better be careful what I say around here then huh? :shock:

:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jbird said:
I just realized: Umm, your guitars are'nt exactly helping you out here! I mean, I don't really consider the SG as the consumate "clean" guitar! :shock: And the Tokai, I don't know enough of

I would consider the SG to be one of the cleaner solidbodies offered in production by Gibson. It is all in your not dimed dials. I would actually consider it pretty clean for a humbucker laden mahogany guitar Gibson or not. If you mean clean like a single coil then I guess you are right in a sense. There again it depends upon the single coils. A Strat can be clean but it can also be very dirty, same for Teles.

jbird said:

hahaha yeah man i know it wont get me the cleans of a tele but i love how it sounds on the 2nd channel and only 10% of my playing is clean. i'm just looking for some ideas to make my clean tone acceptable. thanks to everyones suggestions, i'll be printing this theread off and taking it to band practice tonite to try out your ideas. many thanks!

Back