Getting an amp for my b-day! Rectos!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more question that just came to mind....

My biggest concern at the moment is the portability of the 4x12.....could I get 2 2x12's to get the sound of the 4x12, but to make moving it around much much easier? Or will it not be the same as a 4x12?

i dont think it'd be the same sound. Maybe im wrong. in terms of movability, i hope you dont have stairs. If you do, i hope you have a friend. tubes? Ive heard people say things about JJ. go to eurotubes.com and look around or call the man there, bob.

now stop asking and go play the damned thing!! go to guitar center!! then come home w. a recto!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
One more question that just came to mind....

My biggest concern at the moment is the portability of the 4x12.....could I get 2 2x12's to get the sound of the 4x12, but to make moving it around much much easier? Or will it not be the same as a 4x12?

Hey again,

The portability is certainly a factor... but you can only get the 2x12 in oversized so that might be the clincher right there. Plus having two of them means more wiring headache.

I would get the standard (normal) sized 4x12 personally. You will prob need two people to move it.. I think it's about 90lbs.

As far as your other questions.. play with the stock mesa tubes for a few months, get to know them. At that point come back and tell us what you don't like about them or things you wished the amp did and we can help you from there. As a general rule for me personally, I prefer the EL34 sound in the DR because mesa got the bias correct in that mode. I also prefer JJ EL-34L tubes.. but like I said, play with what you have and then go from there. Half the fun is pursuing the tone goal ;)

If you can try it in the store, here is what I would do:

1. Try the Oversize cab with the Dual Rec
2. Try the regular cab with the Dual Rec
3. Decide which one you like more, then try all of the other Dual Recs the store has, I've had 2 and they sounded dramatically different from each other

4. Once you find the one you like, and the cab you like, try a 3/4 back 2x12
5. Try a Recto 2x12

6. Try the 3/4 back 2x12 cab and the Recto 2x12 cab. Stack the 3/4 on top of the Recto

7. If you don't like the tone of option 6, try 2 Recto 2x12's stacked on top of each other.

8. Try all of the other cabs in the store until you find the one that fits your needs and your tone.

The best tone I ever had was using an Ampeg angled 2x12 closed back cab with Vintage 30's, and a Marshall 1960B with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Celestion Lead 80's. Wall of sound big enough to peel the paint off of a battleship.

My point is, take the day. Go to the store without your dad and find what you want. Have him meet you there after you found it. This way you won't feel any pressure from him to just get something and get out.

You may be pleasantly surprised by a cab or combo of cabs that you haven't considered yet. Plus, if decide on 2 smaller cabs that sound as huge, you will be able to carry your rig by yourself.

Figuring the Dual Rec is what, $1400? And the recto 4-12 is say $800, that's $2200 +-...
Won't the Roadking get the recto/Tremonti tone well? And then a recto 2-12 cab along with it, you could get all the tones you want, plus mobility, plus additional tasty tone tweaking...
I know the Dual Rec and 4-12 is an awesome rig, but if you're not gigging large venues often, is it really necessary?
Just my two cents..
ax. 8)

Just to add. I don't like the idea of having a "stage rig" and then a smaller amp for practices etc. I think half of the practicing, is also practicing with your main rig to learn the amp as well as practicing the songs...
It would be like playing live with a well set up Ibanez guitar, and then using a crappy acoustic to practice on at rehearsals and band practice...
Also, If I were young , I'd get a 4-12 rig for sure.........
ax. 8)

The Roadking with a 2x12 would be nice, but it's going to be much more than a 4x12 dual recto....

Also, I'm only keeping the XXX to play at school.....I don't feel safe taking my new $2500 stack to a school where it's bound to get beat up or stolen.

Also, If I were young , I'd get a 4-12 rig for sure.........
ax.

:mrgreen:
Lay your hands on the monitor and give me an amen my brothers & sisters.

I can still lug one around like nobody's business, but now I'm just old enough to question why. I just put some cabs in my attic for my Music Room that I plan on building this summer. 70 pounds over my head on a rickedy ladder made me want to just put them in the carport for 5 months.

One more question from you guys....I just noticed that the dual recto price jumped to $1700.....so the price for a stack is getting a little high for me....

I found the Carvin Legacy 4x12 (also has v30 speakers)....do you think it would be a good alternative for a mesa traditional 4x12? It seems like a great cab, very similar to mesa, that would save me $400.....

Opinions?

I found the Carvin Legacy 4x12 (also has v30 speakers)....do you think it would be a good alternative for a mesa traditional 4x12? It seems like a great cab, very similar to mesa, that would save me $400.....

If you're on a tight budget, you could also look at an Avatar cab with V30's. I haven't heard a Carvin cab, but they seem to make decent quality equipment.

The Carvin cabs are well built....a little better than avatar IMO.....

Any other opinions? Will the match nicely sound wise?

ibanez4life SZ! said:

Opinions?

Legacy cabs are great!
Not like a Mesa though, save the speaker choice.
They are MUCH smaller than even Mesa trad cabs.
The speakers practicaly touch each other on the carvin.
Relative to Mesa cabs they are pretty tight sounding, and an excellent choice if you are playing precussive metal, for all other applications Id probably pick a Mesa cab over the carvin though. But for the money they are a great deal.

Well....I think I may give the carvin a try....I would much prefer the mesa, but $ 900 +tax is alot more than I'm willing to spend at the moment, considering the head is already $1700.....

I just checked the dimensions....the two cabs (mesa traditional and carvin legacy) are identical in size (about 1/4 inch difference)......

Back