Getting an amp for my b-day! Rectos!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

My birthday is coming up in a little over a month, and my dad is offering me the biggest present I have ever gotten/will more than likely ever get!

He's offering to buy me a new Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifier! One thing, I have to sell my XXX super 40 EFX combo and give him the money for it....but I think I may just give him $400-500 and keep it for practicing at school/small practice (I don't think it's a good idea to take such an expensive stack to school!)

First of all, what do you think of my idea about the XXX? Give a little and keep it, or just sell it and drag the rectifier everywhere?

Second, are there any amps I should consider instead of the Rectifier? My favorite guitarist is Mark Tremonti (uses a triple recto), and I would like something close to his tone! So Alter Bridge, Creed are my main tones, and I can work from there for my other needs! I play to eventually add some rack gear to it (EQ to further mold, etc.) but that will come with time!

So basically, I need some opinions on the recto, and where better to ask but here! I've heard really good things and really bad things.....what do you guys think? Also, what cabs would you recommend pairing a recto with? I've heard flabby bass is a big problem....can it be fixed?

Any ideas? Or should I just stay with the good old recto? Or maybe drop it completely and keep the XXX?

Well.. I believe Tremonti uses the oversized cabs but if you want to get rid of the 'flabby bass' I'd get the standard size cab.

I tend to prefer the Dual Rec to the Triple Rec personally, you should definetly play each one before making a choice.

Also check out the tone database on these forums, there are some alter bridge/creed tones out there, you could write down the settings and go try them out.

As far as negative things, in my experience the people who say negative things about rectifiers can't spend 30 minutes with their amp. Most are 18 year old nu-metal goons who saw a mesa in a video and wanted to buy one and think the knobs will act like a Marshall. I don't think there is a tone I cannot get **** close to with my dual rec but it takes a lot of time and patience and playing with knobs. You need to actually read the manual that comes with it because the EQ and settings are all interweaved and they perform much differently than most amps I've ever played.

I think the only way I'm gonna sell my DR is to get the Road King which has the dual rec built into it.

As far as the XXX, personally I'd dump it. After playing a rectifier it will seem lifeless.

I know the recto will sound much better, but to play at school/small practice, should I keep the XXX, or just lug the boogie around?

So you guys are saying that the oversized cab is the cause of the flabby bass? Is the standard size still a good one, or should I get the oversized and live with it? Which would you recommend?

I got a better idea. Sell the xxx and get your recto modded from voodoo. There are a bunch of modded recto clips (standard mod) and they reallly improve the recto, i even found it to be great and im not a fan of recto stuff...well maybe siliva and alterbridge.

P.S. sorry for bringin up voodoo amps so often but man there great and super friendly. Had i known about them earlier i would of got a crappy amp and have them mod it.

How much is a mod from them? Shipping isn't going to be cheap either.....
is it really that good?

What about the cabs?

Not to take away from what bobbypols said (the clips sound great) you should get familiar with your amp as it is before you go and change it. You have to know what is lacking so someone can mod it for your properly.

My thoughts exactly....mods aren't going to be coming soon....maybe a tube swap, but that's about it for some time!

Any more cab opinions? Platypus has given me some good info on them, but anyone else?

Like rectos but fear the flub?

Well theres quite a few ways to fight that.

Not cranking your bass for one helps..
Just be prepared to learn the mesa tonestack, its different from your XXX and can take some time to master.

Not cranking the gain to max is also usually a good away of avoiding flub.

Avoid the Mesa standard recto4x12. If you want a tight bass response, Id just avoid mesa cabs period.
Consider these alternatives: (in order) VHT fat bottom, Genz Benz G-flez, Marshall 1960. Any of these cabs have a tighter and more focused low end than the mesa cabs.

Also, I noticed in your sig that you have a Keely SD-1.
You could set this as a clean boost in front of the amp, which can really tighten things up, which is great for doing heavy power chord stuff.
I use a TS-9 in front of my recto for just this thing.

But as mentioned before, I wouldnt worry about this. Just get used to the amp by itself for a while.

Bobbypols said:
I got a better idea. Sell the xxx and get your recto modded from voodoo. There are a bunch of modded recto clips (standard mod) and they reallly improve the recto, i even found it to be great and im not a fan of recto stuff...well maybe siliva and alterbridge.

P.S. sorry for bringin up voodoo amps so often but man there great and super friendly. Had i known about them earlier i would of got a crappy amp and have them mod it.
but it won't sound like a recto all that much anymore. they get rd of all the things that make it a mesa.

Ive seen videos of Marks live rig and he explains his EXACT settings. I have a new 3ch dual rec w/ oversized cab, and believe me, THE MAN CAN DIAL IN SETTINGS!! W/ my buddy's epiphone LP, we got a tone extremely similar to his own. The only difference would be his PRS, and all that extra rackboard gear to fine tune, plus he has a Bogner Uberschall for some low growl. So if you like his tone, yes the rec has it.

Now, i recommend the dual rec over triple b/c 1) you can pull out tubes to get 50watts . cant do it on the triple. 2) 150watts IS INSANE!!!!!!!! ive nevr put my dual at level 4 i think!

I also recommend if you really want the purest tone, go for the head and cabinets. The combos IMO lack the same juice.

PS. if you want his settings, go to guitar.com, search for mark tremonti live rig video. enjoy.

So it's going to be a dual rectifier.....

but cab wise, is I were to stay mesa, you guys are saying I should go with the traditional (smaller) cab? I know tremonti uses the oversize, and his tone is amazing....problem is he has some nice rack gear added to find tune everything!

So, for someone without all the cash to perfect, would the traditional be a good way out? I still want the Tremonti tone....can it be obtained through a traditional, or is an oversized very important for that?

I'll look into the other cabs too!

Other opinions, please share!

this is a matter of taste now...i find the oversize to be the tremonti tone.
however, i consider linkin park to have a great recto sound, and they use the smaller cab! do you ever want to play old-school rock and metal? youll need the smaller cab. for example, metallica>>small cab.

this is b/c the small one gives you tightness in the bass, especially apparent when you chug and tremelo pick on the bass strings.

One thing to consider is that the recto already is pretty bassy, so the small cab controls it some. Do you ever want to record or play in clubs? the engineer will appreciate the small one. Or....get both!!! i someday hope to have a small cab that ill combine w. other amps and stack them.
If you can, go to Guitar center and try out both.

theres also always a small Straight cab instead of angle. the straights anything supposedly have a bassier sound.

The smaller might be the way to go, since I want to make sure to control the bass......can the small one still obtain the tremonti tone though? at all?

Elpelotero said:
Now, i recommend the dual rec over triple b/c 1) you can pull out tubes to get 50watts . cant do it on the triple. 2) 150watts IS INSANE!!!!!!!! ive nevr put my dual at level 4 i think!

You know whats EVEN COOLER than that! I dont have to pull ANY tubes out of my single recto to get it at 50watts! :wink:

whats so insane about 150w?
Realisiticaly, its not any louder than your Dual, or even much louder than my Single.

Alright guys! Thanks for all the help! Any other comments, please share them! 2 More questions:

Are there any tubes (preamp, Power, rectifier) that you guys found made an immense difference to the amps tone?

The difference in volume between the dual and triple recto realistically isn't that much.....but by getting a Dual recto, wouldn't I be able to push the amp more (tube amps sound better when pushed)?

I really prefer the Dual to the Triple. 150 watts is way too much if you aren't playing large venues.

I think the Dual is less forceful, and has much more finess.

As for cabs, I don't have a Dual Recto anymore, but I really like the Avatar 4x12 with Celestion Heritage 30's (definitlely not the tone you are after, but works very well for me :mrgreen: ).

I also really like the THD 2x12 with Greenbacks or Vintage 30's.

The Mesa Black Shadow Celestions will get you closer to the tone you are looking for though. I like the smaller cabs. The older I get, 35, the smaller the cabs get.

I used to lug a Sunn 6x12 up a flight of stairs every night. I also used to lug a Marshall 1960A up 3 flights of stairs every night (if 3 am constitues as night). Forget that.

As for the XXX. I think you are definitely on the right track if you are still thinking about keeping it. It will sound like **** next to your Recto, but won't hurt as much if it gets stolen or damaged at school.

You can always have it modded, or sell it next year and get a Rectoverb for school.

In the meantime, you can get a pedal to help it sound more like the Recto. An EQ pedal in the Effects Loop will work wonders with an amp's tone. It won't be exact, but you won't want to cry if anybody steals it either.

FWIW: You could talk your dad into getting you a Rectoverb for Christmas and sell your XXX then to make up some of the difference.

First off, I'm with Platypus on several points.

A: I also prefer the Dual Rec. I know you're wanting to get a super modern tone like MT's. I'm not a fan, really, but I agree that his tone is a million feet high super rad sounding. I believe in my heart that the dual rec can produce this sound. It'll also be cheaper to re tube. Remember, tubes don't last so long these days. You need to consider this.

B: If your buying a new amp, don't run right out and mod the thing. Get an amp that is what you want and not almost what you want. If you want to mod somthing, mod the XXX. I bet there's lots of cool stuff you can do to that thing. If you do it yourself, you might learn something.

Speaking of the XXX, I say keep it. I don't believe in getting rid of old amps. They're fun to mess with and they always come in handy in the studio.

Good luck. By the way, mention to your dad that I've been wanting a Lone Star Combo. He can swing a little fatherly generosity my way if he wants to.

I'll run it by him! Thanks for all the help! Any tubes that are worth looking into that will really help the recto tone?

Back