Gearing up for a new MESA! Which should I buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Troy!

So i went to the Mesa dealership today and tried a stelleto Ace, the 2006 LSC and LSS. The dealer i went to did not have any of the 2007 LSC's with the 10 watt option, which kinda bummed me out, seeing how I had my heart set on trying this one out.

After about ten minutes of Knob anxiety, I finnaly dialed in some sweet clean tones on the LSC, very reminencent of my fender concer II, but still just not as sweet. I did manage to get a little closer to the that thick SRV type tone on the Lonestar Special, and all in all I think I liked the LSS a little better, except it does not have the bias selector.

The 2006 LSC's were on sale for 1399$ for the 212, which is cheaper than I expected.

The ability to change to the 5 watt option on the LSS was a big turn on, I could then crank the gain and master and not worry about killing the 13 year old kid playing the road king next to me.

I could not really crank it up, because the "issolation booth" i was supposed to be playing was actually a big room with like 4 of us in there wailing away.

Going back tomorrow to make my final desision.

On a side note the dirty chanels on the Lonestar series are a little light in the loafers. the ACE blew them away in that regard.

Hey ZL! If you wouldn't mind posting your decision I would appreciate it. Interested in hearing what you decide on since we're kind of on the same search. Good luck bro!

zappaslaughter said:
Thanks Troy!

So i went to the Mesa dealership today and tried a stelleto Ace, the 2006 LSC and LSS. The dealer i went to did not have any of the 2007 LSC's with the 10 watt option, which kinda bummed me out, seeing how I had my heart set on trying this one out.

After about ten minutes of Knob anxiety, I finnaly dialed in some sweet clean tones on the LSC, very reminencent of my fender concer II, but still just not as sweet. I did manage to get a little closer to the that thick SRV type tone on the Lonestar Special, and all in all I think I liked the LSS a little better, except it does not have the bias selector.

The 2006 LSC's were on sale for 1399$ for the 212, which is cheaper than I expected.

The ability to change to the 5 watt option on the LSS was a big turn on, I could then crank the gain and master and not worry about killing the 13 year old kid playing the road king next to me.

I could not really crank it up, because the "issolation booth" i was supposed to be playing was actually a big room with like 4 of us in there wailing away.

Going back tomorrow to make my final desision.

On a side note the dirty chanels on the Lonestar series are a little light in the loafers. the ACE blew them away in that regard.

Thats what Lonestars are really . The overdrive channels arent the same as Stilettos. I remember in an early LSC brochure there was a quote that read " You wont find one on stage at Ozzfest" . Why not just order the 2007 model and get the 10 watt feature ? Did you go for any custom options ?

well i did gang!

I bought me a 1 x 12 LSC...I did not get it custom because or wait for the 2007 model because they had the old 2006 amps at discount. I played thru all they had there even a 4 x 10 LSS. It was nice looking and I loved the cleans..but the 1900 price tag and the missing features of the LSS turned me off.

I was really set on the 2 x 12 LSC...but it just did not sound as good or seem as responsive as the 1 x 12 they had there...and the funny thing is...the UGLIEST amp there sounded the best to me, so i bought it. It's a blue 1 x 12 LSC and I also picked up another 1 x 12 cab for it incase I need the extra spread.

I did look at a custom job there barry, and I got everything priced...an imbuya with the wicker grill. It was stunning visually, but very tin-y sounding...which kinda bummed me out. cause i was really considering ordering one.

These amps are definatly not for metal heads. I will have to run a pedal i suppose for the added boost.

But it runs the range of clean sounds and makes my tele sound angelic in the neck position.

My Parker Fly sounds crisp throu the amp, specially with the added cab....very strat sounding. Have yet to try my buddies les paul custom.

So now begins the journey of learning the ins and out of this amp.

Congrats! I've seen that blue, I think it looks great. You'll be busy finding your groove on that amp for quite awhile.

zappaslaughter said:
well i did gang!

I bought me a 1 x 12 LSC...I did not get it custom because or wait for the 2007 model because they had the old 2006 amps at discount. I played thru all they had there even a 4 x 10 LSS. It was nice looking and I loved the cleans..but the 1900 price tag and the missing features of the LSS turned me off.

I was really set on the 2 x 12 LSC...but it just did not sound as good or seem as responsive as the 1 x 12 they had there...and the funny thing is...the UGLIEST amp there sounded the best to me, so i bought it. It's a blue 1 x 12 LSC and I also picked up another 1 x 12 cab for it incase I need the extra spread.

I did look at a custom job there barry, and I got everything priced...an imbuya with the wicker grill. It was stunning visually, but very tin-y sounding...which kinda bummed me out. cause i was really considering ordering one.

These amps are definatly not for metal heads. I will have to run a pedal i suppose for the added boost.

But it runs the range of clean sounds and makes my tele sound angelic in the neck position.

My Parker Fly sounds crisp throu the amp, specially with the added cab....very strat sounding. Have yet to try my buddies les paul custom.

So now begins the journey of learning the ins and out of this amp.

I think you did the right thing and get a tube screamer. it will give to push you need . Ive got one and im going have mine modded by Robert keeley . As far as the custom job . For my taste i like some of the embossed leathers better than the wooden ones . The wooden ones to me are'nt practical if you are a gigging player . it will get dinged eventually .I think you will be happy with your choice . Take your time and dont be scared to experiment . Did you try EL34s ? Make sure at least try them . Enjoy !

ahhh,LSC,all the way for what I think your lookin for.Breaks up a little later than the LSS.Also as mentioned has a wide veriety of rec. options and overall gets some really really amazing tones.I was offered one on thecheap but refused(as I was saving for my dual rec.)but I should have bought it anyway as It is probably the next mesa to join my ranks(if not an express 5-50,ohhh one of these please!!!!)

Latest posts

Back