GC in sacramento beware

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the list of SF places.

The only places I visited in SF so far are Guitar Center, K&K (still around?), Star Guitar (still around?) and Ashbury & Haight St. Music.

But did hear some of those other places you mentioned. I kinda like grungy used shops. Sometimes you find some gems.

Yeah, Gelb Music in Redwood City is almost a must.

Charlie said:
jdurso said:
definitely let me know as I'll be travelling in the SF/Sac area for the next three months (especially in Dec...I'll be out there for the whole month more or less)

Check out Rocker Guitars on 1350 Howard Street - they have a lot of cool boutique amps like Fuchs, Fargen, Bad Cat etc.. They have a TON of boutique pedals and a really good guitar selection - Gibson, Gretsch etc. From there you can walk down the street to Real Guitars which is at 15 Lafayette Street. It's REAL easy to miss it doesn't have a sign out front or anything but they have a lot of good used gear - in fact they don't have any new gear at all.

If you are into classical/acoustic guitars you should also check out Guitar Solo at 230 Townsend Street. It's a small shop and they specialize in Classical guitars and have a TON of classical guitar sheet music. Black Market Music is only a few blocks from here at 493 3rd street - they only sell used gear so the stock is always changing. Sometimes he has some really good stuff and sometimes not so much.

Last place I would recommend is Panhandle guitar at 1221 Fell Street. He's got a bunch of new low end guitars but always has a bunch of good vintage pieces hanging up behind the counter.

There is a music store on Haight Street but I wouldn't go out of my way to check it out.

If you are willing to travel a bit you should make the trip down to Gelb music in Redwood City.

There are also a bunch of good places to go to in Santa Cruz and San Rafael.

thanks..... i'll have to go and check those places out next time i'm out there..... thats the one thing that sucks about travelling... i'm gone for weeks/months at a time and my gear just sits there and the favorite part of my day is coming home from work and playing even if its just for a half hour

RR said:
Thanks for the list of SF places.

The only places I visited in SF so far are Guitar Center, K&K (still around?), Star Guitar (still around?) and Ashbury & Haight St. Music.

But did hear some of those other places you mentioned. I kinda like grungy used shops. Sometimes you find some gems.

Yeah, Gelb Music in Redwood City is almost a must.

Never heard of K&K or Star Guitar. GC has moved over to Polk street and Haight and Ashbury music is still there but I'm not too fond of it.

The new GC is actually pretty decent as far as GC is concerned and you might want to check it out. Like I said before I wouldn't buy any amps or guitars there (at least not off the floor) just because everything gets manhandled due to the large amount of foot traffic. The people I deal with whenever I'm there are really nice.

If you like the grungy used shops I'd check out Real Guitars, Panhandle Guitars and Black Market Music.

Latest posts

Back