Gauges

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rika_gd

Reaction score
Hi guys, what gauge are you using at the moment? have you tried different gauges and tunes? wich one sound best to you?
Right now Im in 009 an the next one will be 010 :mrgreen:

10-52 (Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms)

I think thicker strings generally sound better than thinner ones, but if you go so thick that you can't comfortably play then it's counter-productive.

thats so true, Id love to have a 012 but, hey Im gonna suck a lot! :lol:

I find 010s are a good balance between drop-tune and bending capability - they can do drop D and Eb pretty well. After trying all major brands, I chose Elixir Nanoweb Coating. Although expensive, they are simply superior, sound better, last longer (a lot longer) and feel silky to the fingers no matter how hard you treat them. Second choice would be GHS Boomers, they are also fine strings. I noticed that both Elixir and GHS 010s feel pretty much like other brand's 011 (for example D'Addario's).

Very best,
Marcelo
NOWAYBACK

I use 10-46 (48?) on my c-tuned 6 string. I like the clarity and crispness they bring over say a heavier gauge string. but, it takes a lot of getting use to because it's so sloppy and with hi-gain can be hard to tighten up...but hey, that's half the fun!

Ernie ball Hybrid Slinky. (9-46)

Good for speed, comfort, and a good bottom end.

Oh, and the Titanuim coated ones are not better than the Reg ones IMO...

completely dependent on the instrument.

les paul classic custom has DR 10s
elitist les paul has dadda 10s
mim 50s tele, ghs has nickel rockers 9-46
partsocaster has dadda 9.5s
used dadda 11-49 on an all-mahogany les paul before i sold it.

I tune to Eb generally, but only because the band I used to play with did so. I don't need to do that now, I suppose. tune down to D standard sometimes to play along with mastodon :twisted:

my cello has daddario helicores.

i would never dream of stringing one of my instruments with ernie balls :p they sound like a two week old pack of daddarios. I have just switched to DRs on the one paul, and I am thinking about trying the 11s. The DR 10s, to me, feel like 10s under your fingertips, but bend as easily as 9s. So if the 11s feel like 11s and bend like 10s, I'm goolden. :)

I really like the 010 GHS Boomers. I have tried cleartones, ernie balls, elixir, etc. but always favored the boomers for price and quality. May be just me but I have always seemed to have tuning issues with ernie balls.

phyrexia said:
I tune down to D standard sometimes to play along with mastodon :twisted:

my cello has daddario helicores.

i would never dream of stringing one of my instruments with ernie balls :p they sound like a two week old pack of daddarios. I have just switched to DRs on the one paul, and I am thinking about trying the 11s. The DR 10s, to me, feel like 10s under your fingertips, but bend as easily as 9s. So if the 11s feel like 11s and bend like 10s, I'm goolden. :)

I use Ernie Ball 11-48 tuned to D standard on my Les Paul classic. I started tuning down to D standard to play along with Mastodon, who happen to be my favorite band, and stuck with it because it feels and sounds perfect to me. I used DR's for a long time, but I got a great deal on a dozen sets of EB that I couldn't pass up. I really don't mind them though once I use them up I'll probably go back to DR. The DR set i used was 11-50, but I actually prefer the slightly looser feel of the lighter wound strings in the EB set.

phyrexia said:
i would never dream of stringing one of my instruments with ernie balls :p they sound like a two week old pack of daddarios.

That's kind of the point. It saves me from having to wait two weeks for the strings to start sounding good. ;)

daddarios strings are by far the worst sounding, and lasting strings i have ever played. Either ghs boomer, jim dunlop custom wound strings, nah thats all i use lol ernie balls are okay i guess, i have a pack of daddarios on my 7 string right now and they have lasted 2 weeks if that and they are shot.

I dont think EB suck, they last enough and keep a good sound until you change them..right now Im with EB 09

screamingdaisy said:
phyrexia said:
i would never dream of stringing one of my instruments with ernie balls :p they sound like a two week old pack of daddarios.

That's kind of the point. It saves me from having to wait two weeks for the strings to start sounding good. ;)

****, I change strings more often than that if i'm playing the thing with any frequency. 10 days or so.

I don't even want to think about what EB's would sound like after two weeks. Would you hear them at all or would they become so dull and thuddy as to become inaudible? :lol:

phyrexia said:
sh!t, I change strings more often than that if i'm playing the thing with any frequency. 10 days or so.

I don't even want to think about what EB's would sound like after two weeks. Would you hear them at all or would they become so dull and thuddy as to become inaudible? :lol:

I change mine every 6 months or so...

I think it helps that my body chemistry doesn't kill them. I've let others play my guitar and had to change the strings the next day because they rusted. Beyond that, I like them a little dead sounding. I just changed them yesterday and my tone pot has been rolled down to 3 ever since. :)

Perhaps it's me, but with a minimum of 12 hrs of practice a week plus gigs, strings don't last anyway...that's why they're cheap.

RectoStudioGuy said:
Perhaps it's me, but with a minimum of 12 hrs of practice a week plus gigs, strings don't last anyway...that's why they're cheap.

+1000

6 months, daisy? really?

phyrexia said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

+1000

6 months, daisy? really?

Yes. Like I said, I like them a little dead sounding and they never rust on me, so I usually leave them on until I break a string, at which point I'll change the whole set.

I tried using nickel strings for awhile but they'd get a little too dead sounding after about a week.

screamingdaisy said:
phyrexia said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

+1000

6 months, daisy? really?

Yes. Like I said, I like them a little dead sounding and they never rust on me, so I usually leave them on until I break a string, at which point I'll change the whole set.

I tried using nickel strings for awhile but they'd get a little too dead sounding after about a week.

Agreed, nickel strings do lose their sparkle after some exercise. But again, so easy to change makes it well worth it. The feel and sound I get from the various sets that I use is such a benefit.

Back