G12K100 with the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
Anyone tried a G12K100 with the Mark V?

They seem to have similar frequencies to the Vintage 30 but I dont want that icepick sound that bothers my ears with the Vintage 30.

i had done an experiment a few months ago w/ a single g12t100 @ 4ohms using my mark iv. results were not good due to the fact that the speaker just flubbed out @ that power level.

are you running more than 1? at more than 4ohms? anyway, i would think if you were trying to move again from the ice-pick sound there are other options as well with comparable (or higher) power rating, like an evm 12l. that one is awesome across the board.

I just grabbed dirt cheap a pair of 1x12" CRATE GT112SL with genuine G12K100 Celestion speakers. I wanted to replace my custom Lead 80 with a speaker with a bit more bottom when I saw the ad. They work great! Exactly as advertised. Smooth high end. Overall a bit darker but nothing you can't tweak. Definetly more oomph in the lows. Nice clean as well as distorted.

I read that the Celestion G12H-100 sound similar to the G12K-100 but with a litttle less bass.
Maybe, that is what you are looking for.

Emeneice. Only speakers i will use for the rest of my life, probally the best clear crisp and heavy speakers i have used.

LPJunky said:
Hum... How would you say the G12H100 compare to the CL-80 other than the power rating?
I never heard a CL-80 but I have a Mesa Celestion 90 and let me assume that both speakers sound the same.

I would say that the G12H-100 sounds similar to the Black Shadow MC-90 but with a little more low-end and more mids. It also seems to break up later than the MC-90.

I am using it in a Maverick 1x12 combo.

Just to clarify...

More mids but not as much as a V30 and with a little rolled off top end compared to a V30.

I have Classic 80s in my Egnater Tourmaster cab, 2 x 12's. They do well with the Mark series to my ears. I also have a Marshall 2 x 12 that has GT75s. They are a bit to crisp/thin for me on the MKV. I run a stereo rig and funny thing is that the 75's sound better with the Rectifier than the MKV. So it works out well. The Classic 80's do the Mark Series amp leads better IMO. The Celestion GT 75s do the rectifier chug better but since they are more peaky, the amp sizzle comes thru more. I think part of the Rectifier sound is the high end sizzle, especially when playing with a thumping bass player. Good chunky riffs where you and the bass are on the same lick, the low end of the bass is filled out in the mids and highs by the sizzling Rectifier sound. Playing alone/bedroom jammer they sound too bright, in a band context, just right....

Good description Heritage Softail.

As you see my sig I used a 2x12" THD cab with CL-80 for the last year with my MkV. I like it a lot especially since I changed to El34. The only problem area was when I did clean chords/notes, they start to breakup and sound like cardboard on low register frequencies. Is that normal? They have 6 or 7 years now.

Latest posts

Back