G-System or G-Force

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G force because the G system is VERY COLOURED it compleatly changes the sound of your amp.
the G Force also has issues input levels mainly ,it switches between line and instrument levels automaticly . Sounds nice though and nothing else out there is any better YET.

from all the reviews i've read, I've never heard of the gsystem coloring the sound. are you sure you're plugging everything in right and twisting the knobs correctly?

my personal preference would be gsystem because of all the extra features it gives you, such as 4cable method and footswitches. no need to buy more units.

Don't put too much credence into the reviews and trust your own ears or the experience of those who have actually used the unit.....

.....and I am one of them. I purchased the G-System for use with my RK II, and let me tell you it is not a marriage made in heaven, earth or any other galaxy. This thing absolutely sucks all of the life out of the RK II. I don't know how it affects other amps...but from what other real users have reported in various forums, it is a tone sucking machine.

Ironically, I sold my G-Force to buy the G-System and how I regretted it. I wanted to go back to the G-Force...but instead stumbled in to an Eventide Eclipse...and let me just say I am not going the TC route again. The Eventide blew both the G-Force and G-System out of the water. However, if you're not a tweaker or not accustomed to working with algorithms to build your presets, then you should stick to the G-Force -- it is a great unit and easy to program.

Here are some threads discussing the G-System in other forums:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=32315&highlight=
http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=30520&highlight=
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=88835&highlight=g-system

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking a closer look at the Eclipse since it's really not that much more...

my g sytem thru mark Iv is awesome-no noise issues....does not alter/color tone,period-there is an extensive amount of "digging" you must do into the unit itself-there is a tweak for everything...it is not for the "not so patient..."it is the mark iv of meu's...I am sure an eventide has same advanced computer programming interface-that is what I wanted after years of set it and forget it-I wanted a little more-I tried quite a few(line 6 stuff...lexicon...)eventide was my next destination..but the bus stopped with the g_I think you can get lost in a lot of the options..if you do not route it correctly/if you do not set the levels correctly(seems like every thing has a level-I got frustrated,for example, when I had a problem with a drop off...finally figured out the level for the loop in the g was set to decrease output -i set at odb and we were in bizz...)I played my Taylor 414 thru it sat night at a roadhouse gig...killer!!!!no difference when bypassed, to my ears-an acoustic would certainly suffer if the unit sucked-4 hour gig with taylor...yessir, the g delivered for me 8)

lesterpaul said:
my g sytem thru mark Iv is awesome-no noise issues....does not alter/color tone,period-there is an extensive amount of "digging" you must do into the unit itself-there is a tweak for everything...it is not for the "not so patient..."it is the mark iv of meu's...I am sure an eventide has same advanced computer programming interface-that is what I wanted after years of set it and forget it-I wanted a little more-I tried quite a few(line 6 stuff...lexicon...)eventide was my next destination..but the bus stopped with the g_I think you can get lost in a lot of the options..if you do not route it correctly/if you do not set the levels correctly(seems like every thing has a level-I got frustrated,for example, when I had a problem with a drop off...finally figured out the level for the loop in the g was set to decrease output -i set at odb and we were in bizz...)I played my Taylor 414 thru it sat night at a roadhouse gig...killer!!!!no difference when bypassed, to my ears-an acoustic would certainly suffer if the unit sucked-4 hour gig with taylor...yessir, the g delivered for me 8)

I own a Mark IV & a RK II and an Eclipse...all require extensive tweaking...so certainly am not afraid of tweaking and multirouting things. But the G-System just did not sound good to my ears.....

I will admit its a great piece of technology, I just think they got some of the routing wrong, where the signal goes through several A/D D/A conversions.

The G Force worked great with all of my amps, the G System did not. If they had made the G System where the signal goin to the front of the amp remained analog, then I think there'd be better results.

I know its not just my ears being deficient or not setting up the system correctly. I am a computer systems programmer, so I certainly am capable of reading and following instructions.

I noted that in a post in another forum, John Suhr, of Suhr guitars said that some of his high profile clients did not like the g system because it colored their tone negatively.....

So take it for what its worth, if it sounds good to your ears, then go with it if not then look elsewhere. Me, I looked elsewhere and am gald I did.

Jazz...I didnt mean to insinuate that you could not tweak and program-just making a general point about these more advanced units for original poster-it certainly made me go back to the manual,for sure-I do go in front and in eff loop, and I was expecting more problems than what i got-I dig the filter a lot--I had an emma discombobulator originally, but I could not see the need in it after I figured out how to route-I must note that I am referring to the lead channel as well...I do not like a lot of jape on my cleans...they sound awesome as is..but it did well with my acoustic gig-would not know about recording as well

ive got a gystem running through a boogie and i have had loads of problems! Firstly the sound colouring is ridiculous. If you play dry straight from your amp and then play by connecting the g-system but without using its effects then you will see just how much the gsystem destroys your tone. Ive also got noise issues. My boogie is pretty quiet if i plug direct but if i connect the gsystem its much worse. Also, the manuel suggests buying balanced cables which i did. Now if i plug them in completely i get a ridiculous buzz. it sound similar to if u turn ur amp on without pluging in ur guitar and then touching the cable. Anyway the only way i can remove it is to only plug the cables connected to the effects loop halfway in. Crazy. One point tho, my dual rectifier is parallel effects loop and the gsystem doesnt work well with it, its better with serial loops apparently. Also, turning the mix up to 100% doesnt make it a serial loop at all.

In short be warned if u have a parallel effects loop or a rectifier. On a positive note the sounds are great, if only the colouring wasnt as bad, perhaps it isnt on a serial loop amp...........

I have been a long-time TC Electronic user, and have owned a lot of their gear over the years.

Currently, I'm re-evaluating the G-System for MusicPlayers.com since it has undergone software updates, and I'm also going to work on a tutorial for optimizing levels, using the insert loop stuff, etc.

I have the G-System being used with my Road King II and it sounds wickedly great using the four-cable wiring with the insert loop... but at the start, the sound was a serious disappointment compared to my G-Major that I previously used.

Optimizing the signal levels is the big trick, the big balancing act, and it will make or break your experience. There are Input and Output levels on the G-System to adjust, and there is the Send Level on the rear of the Road King. Once you optimize these levels, all is clean and quiet, and the effects sound great. Your Filter effects and the four pedal loops get routed to the front of your amp, while your other effects go to the effects loop of your Road King.

If you like to use multiple effects, you'll never find a solution that is 100% transparent, but that doesn't mean it kills your tone or is noisy.

The other big thing to do is follow TC Electronic's advice -- use BALANCED cables for the insert loop! They mention this numerous times in the documentation, but I'm willing to bet 75% of the guitarists complaining about noise ignore this, or don't know what it means. Go to your music store of choice and to the pro audio/recording dept. and get a set of balanced cables -- this makes a big difference because when the G-System detects balanced wiring, it changes the way audio is passed across the wire to/from your amp.

Also, if you're trying to keep your tone intact, seperate the GFX01 brain from the foot controller and put it in a small rack near your amp. If you use four 20' cable runs to/from your amp to the G-System self-contained on the floor, you will get signal loss, and this is not the fault of the G-System. You'll want to use premium quality cables for sure, and don't have them criss-cross over power cables... and if the insert loop cables aren't balanced, again... major noise issue.

When hooked up correctly, the G-System sounds amazing, but just like your Road King II and other great Boogie amps, it's not plug-and-play. You have to take time to dial these products in before they shine for you.

A lot of pro players are using the G-System now because it is so well integrated, simple to program, and offers a reasonable level of flexible configuration. Note that I said "reasonable" -- there are gearheads who need the flexibility of programming as found in the G-Force, the older Lexicon gear, etc., but most players, even ones who use lots of effects, are happy with "flexible enough" as opposed to devices that require serious study time.

As a side note, you can read a comparative review of the G-Major vs. G-Force at the link below, and we also have an in-depth review of the first-generation G-System (with a more detailed look forthcoming after they finally ship the software editor this summer):
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0307_TCElectronic_G.php

Scott

And with the Eclipse or G-Force, add anywhere from $300 to $1200 for a good MIDI Foot Controller that still won't be as seamlessly integrated as the pedal in the G-System.

So really, the G-System is quite a value, actually.

I have to tell you the G-force is not made in Thailand!!! it's european also if it were (which is not) whats the problem.........? also I have had the use of many items of rack gear over the years (eventide, yamaha, rocktron to name a few) and have to say the 'Force' is one of the best I've found... subjective I know but after 25 years I feel I can have my say.

Also not wishing to cause a 'rumpus' I've used gear from all over too and being 'made in the USA' does not make it any better, sure some things always seem to come through...but likewise I've owned Japanese guitars that spank US axes (having said that all my guitars at present are from the US!! although I regret the Jem 10th I sold :cry: )

Also I've tried the Eclipse with my rig and it was not up to my G-Force in my opinion........

Go with your ears, if it's made in your country of choice by all means be patriotic.......but I'd rather buy what sounds best..............

Like I said don't get angry with me...............just having my say...........

oh God what a of worms I've opened!!! a few points: (I'm off to work :cry: )

AES-EBU OUT-IN , XLR BALANCED IN/OUT ...well great but if it's in my rig for live these are of no use to me!

If you want to discuss 1980's gear god we could go on....yes having played fair few guitars from that era yes Japan was still getting it's act together re music gear, but I have to say the quality/price point they have now is beyond reproach.......

As for custom US guitars yes I've owned them and I had to pay for that!! perhaps almost double what I might spend on a guitar from europe or the far east....... So comparing the two (for me) is a moot point!

And on and on we go................ :D

Cheers

Latest posts

Back