G System or Axe FX II with the V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a G-System with my Mark V. I frequently go back and forth between using the G-System and using pedals and I've never noticed a huge shift in tone when adding/removing the G-System (built in 2008) from the signal path, but I've always used it with the brain unmounted and sitting on my amp so all my cable runs are less than 12 inches long, which may skew my opinion compared to those who want to use the brain mounted in the foot controller with 20-30 foot runs.

(Sorry for the run on sentence)

I read that white paper that everyone references a few years ago and while I found it somewhat useful I think the author makes something that's relatively simple as complicated as possible, which in turn frustrates a lot of people and causes them to give up on the system unnecessarily.

Is the G-System perfect? No. But for an all in one box that controls your amp, pedals and gives you a G-Major for the loop it's pretty good.

Just a quick update. I've been playing the AXE FX II for the past few days and it truly sounds as good as the reviews out there.

I've been playing it through the power section of the Mark V into my 4x12 cab and with the right settings (particularly EQ) it's very difficult to tell them apart.

Also sounds killer through my studio monitors. Not sure yet if I'll keep the V or maybe try one of those matrix power amps to reduce weight.

Back