FX Loop Mod for Recto+ROV+TOV+SOLO 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's late at night here in sunny England and I assumed that your tone changes drastically with the loop engaged? There will be a difference in tone as another 2 tube stages are in the signal chain with the loop engaged. The typical tube buffered fx loop is designed to be as transparent as possible, but that's never the case, and some change in tone is going to happen. I've owned a Recto and engaging the loop does not change the tone too badly.

How is your tone affected with the loop, does it become more overdriven or looses some highs/lows etc? And what are you running in your loop? It's also possible that you're pedals are overdiven

Oh, sorry... I wouldn't call it a drastic change. The amp just sounds much tighter when the loop is bypassed. When the loop is on, some high end is added and the overall tone is just a little muddier... almost like a very subtle chorus effect is engaged.

Also, this is with no pedals in the loop... just a patch cable from send to receive.

my tone goes south. Not down to Georgia either, straight to hell when ever I even think about turning that effects mix past 10%

I'm not bashing mesa, the tone of my rig can kick all ya'lls tones *** :lol: but the effects loop is BOGUS and it ***cks with my tone man. Can't have it.

So what does this mod actually fix?
I have a Rectoverb Series II head and the tone is much sharper and clearer when nothing is in the loop.
Will this mod address that or is it to address something else?
I have an MXr 10 band EQ and a Boss ME-50 and I would love to run both of them in the loop (as I do with my JSX) .
right now I run nothing in there because it sounds so much better that way.

Bumping for current info since people have been asking about the no fx switch mod. The picture in post 1 shows that you need 2 pieces of wire, but it never shows you were to put them. Does anyone have this?

that would be a good idea, i just figured out how to mod my nomad from the schematic, but pics would have been nice. The phase issue with the parallel loop is my main concern.

Sorry i was to lazy to take pics while moding.

Here is a tip!

put a guitar cable in the send jack, take a MM in conductivity mod and find which wire on the back of the pot is beeps. Unsolder that wire and then insulate it. It's going to be a wire on the outside post not the middle post.

If you leave the pot hooked up at least on the nomad series it will act a a return level. It might darken the tone as pot is turned down.

Thanks for the help fellas! This thread is just what I was looking for. Like nomad100 said the phase issue is my main reason for modding the loop. I think it sounds fine even with the knob at 90% so the 'tone suck' is not a problem in my ears...

Thanks for the drawing! Now I can get back to playing instead of tweaking my effect send and effect mix to keep the phase monster from coming to get me! Haha.

OH and the good news is as long as you don't botch your amp up doing the mod you won't void your warranty!! I emailed Marcus at Mesa just to be sure.

I'm doing the mod this weekend.

richey said:
Would this work for a Dual Rec Solo too?

No, it will not work. You need the correct diagram.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=22866&start=45

Look at my pics in this post.

Im about ready to convert my head to a serial loop. I just have a couple questions. The Mix knob goes to 90%. Does this mod allow a full 100% mix? Or is it just a 90% all the time? And for people that have done the mod, does it work better than the stock loop?

Any help is appreciated.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. I did the loop mod on my Recotoverb this weekend. It was VERY easy to perform. There is a slight tone difference in the amp. It seems to have taken some of the harshness out of the tone as well as tightened the bottom end up some but it did loose a little gain. Not enough to cry about though IMO. Overall I think the tone changes were an improvment although I am thinking about installing a push/pull pot so I can have a series or parallel loop just to have more tone options. As for how the loop worked it helped 110% ! I've tried all sorts of processors and effects through my loop in the past including a TC G-Major and G Sharp, Boss DD6, Digidelay, Rocktron stuff and I still couldn't get the smoothness of my effects I was wanting and always had tone suckage and this infernal oscillating type noise when the mix control was too high. After doing the mod it cured all my issues. I'm currently running a TC Nova delay in the loop and couldn't be happier!

I modded my series II rectifier last night. It was indeed very easy to do. I didnt really notice any change in tone. To answer my earlier question about a full 100% mix, it is 100% serial. I ran my line 6 echo park through the loop & set its mix to 100% & heard none of my clean signal, only the delays. Major props to the OP for this information that allowed me to fix the only thing I didnt like like about this great amp. Now I can actually use effects in my loop.

ltd2recto said:
I modded my series II rectifier last night. It was indeed very easy to do. I didnt really notice any change in tone. To answer my earlier question about a full 100% mix, it is 100% serial. I ran my line 6 echo park through the loop & set its mix to 100% & heard none of my clean signal, only the delays. Major props to the OP for this information that allowed me to fix the only thing I didnt like like about this great amp. Now I can actually use effects in my loop.

Hi, did you performed the mod on the Single recto series II? Didnt you I lost the "Solo" option by doing the mod? I have been wanting to do the mod but I was told that i wouldnt be able to use the "Solo" because it would be disabled...

I apologise for any orthographic mistakes. :wink:

DEz said:
ltd2recto said:

Hi, did you performed the mod on the Single recto series II? Didnt you I lost the "Solo" option by doing the mod? I have been wanting to do the mod but I was told that i wouldnt be able to use the "Solo" because it would be disabled...

Yes it was on the series II single recto. Honestly i dont know about the solo function. I never use it. Ill check it later this week when we have practice.

ltd2recto said:
DEz said:
ltd2recto said:

Yes it was on the series II single recto. Honestly i dont know about the solo function. I never use it. Ill check it later this week when we have practice.

If the mod does work and the amp sounds good, maybe it's worth loosing the solo function anyway... But I'll be waiting for your test for now.. thanks again :)

Back