FX Loop in Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi again 8)

I just spent three or four hours with the Mark IV on the lead channel at a reasonable volume...
...and I'm pretty f@cking happy with it :D

Thanks a lot for your feedback on my previous posts; EVERYONE has been really really really helpful!!!

I just have one question concerning the effects loop...

I'm currently using a Boss GT-6. I'm only trying to do ONE thing right now... add a bit of DELAY.
I've actually always put effects before the amp (guitar > fx > amp) ... but when I did that on the lead channel, the gain and voicing on it went completely clean :shock:
Then, I tried plugging it into the return socket and engaging the effects loop. Tried both stereo and mono. Simply nothing. Has no effect at all... as if the GT-6 wasn't even there!

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Make doubly sure you're going GT-6 out to FX in, and FX Out to Gt-6 In. Also, I know nothing about the GT-6's back panel, but does it have more than one outpu? A wet one and a dry one perhaps?

I dunno really. Glad you're enjoying the amp though, it's a complete work of art.

:)

Does it work now?

Imagine an FX Loop like this;
Preamp --> FX Loop --> Power amp.

You're gonna need two cables to create the "loop".

Ehhh, now all it did was cut the power section, it seems. The sound is all fizzy and ew. Still no effects.

I'm still not sure what to do.

My guitar is going straight into the Mark IV's input.
Then I have a cable going from the left (mono) output of the GT-6 to the mono return in the Mark. Finally, I have another cable going from the Mark's send to the GT-6's return. Is this the loop? I'm using normal guitar cables, by the way... does that have something to do with it?

You'll want your guitar going into the Mark IV (like it is) a cable going from the mark's send into the GT's input and another cable going from the GT's output into the mark's return (the mono one).

Make sure not to use the GT's send and return, that's for adding pedals to the GT not hooking it up to an amp

Hnnn delay works well... but when I engage the boost (tubescreamer based model in this case) the sound gets all weird... oh well. Boosts probably go after the guitar right?

I have to read up on favourable effects chain settings... :oops:

yeah, running a gain boost in the loop isn't its normal use, you want to boost the front end, not after the preamp. The problem with using a multi fx unit like that is you really need 2 of them, one for your effects in front (distortion, compression, wah, etc) and one in the loop (delays, reverb) and some effects can go either way (phase, chorus, flange). Glad you got it working though :D

I have a GT-6 and it goes like this:

cable 1:
your guitar into mark input

cable 2:
Mark send >GT-6 input

cable 3:
GT-6 Left (mono) output>Mark return

ToneAddictJon said:
yeah, running a gain boost in the loop isn't its normal use, you want to boost the front end, not after the preamp. The problem with using a multi fx unit like that is you really need 2 of them, one for your effects in front (distortion, compression, wah, etc) and one in the loop (delays, reverb) and some effects can go either way (phase, chorus, flange). Glad you got it working though :D

Really? So if I have a TC Electronic G-Force, for example, and a Ground Control Pro + GNX rack unit, i can't hook it up to distribute effects properly?

If you want to use any of the overdrives, boosts, etc in the GT-6 you're going to have to use the 4-cable method. This was taken from bossgtcentral.com.

"4-Cable" Method
Getting that Great Sound using my own rig!

I wanted to use the Boss GT-6 to "colour" my sound, not redefine
it, so I tried several things which just did not work out. I have a 30th Anniversary
Marshall Half Stack and I did not want to loose this classic sound.I turned off
the preamp ection of the GT-6 and tried just running effects (Chorus, Delay, Wah-Wah)
via the GT-6. I ran from the guitar to the GT-6, then from the GT-6 to the Marshall
IN. This worked OK for CRUNCH and LEAD channels, but the CLEAN channel sounded
bad.

The next option was to run the GT-6 into the effects loop of the Marshall.
This sounded even better Now, at least all 3 channels of my amp sounded good.
The problem was that the Wah-Wah and some OD/DS sounded bad. How What?!

Then, finally, a guy named Philip gave me this tip which opened up the GT-6
in a way which really surpirsed me! He wrote the following...

It sounds as though the ideal set-up for you is the "4-cable"
method. You will then also be able to use your Wah Wah effectively.
The idea being that instead of the GT-6 being in the effects loop of
the Marshall, you divide the Marshall in two - you seperate the
preamp from the power-amp, and use the Marshall preamp in the effects
loop of the GT-6. In the GT-6 there is an option in the OD/DS part
called "custom", and when you choose this, you activate the effects
loop in the GT-6.

Step 1: Adjust the GT-6 so that the OD/DS is on "custom".
Step 2: Cable from guitar to normal input on the GT-6.
Step 3: Cable from GT-6 effects out to Marshall in.
Step 4: Cable from Marshall "Send" (on the back) to GT-6 effects in.
Step 5: Cable from GT-6 normal output to Marshall "Return".

You can now use your Wah-wah, control your distrotion with the
Marshall preamp, and overall volume with the Marshall Master volume.

There have been a few comments about using the Line/headphone
output. When I tried all the various settings, I found that they
made whatever I was using, sound "even more so" - so if I used a
little amp the "small amp" setting made it sound even smaller. If I
used a stack, the stack setting made the sound more "boomy". The
line/headphone choice seems to have a greater frequency response, and
the sound I set-up in the headphones, is pretty much the same as what
comes out of the amplifier on stage - this is a great bonus !

Best of luck !

- Philip.

I am on my way and putting out an awesome live sound on stage. People ask me, "How did you get your tone?" :)

Be really careful if you want to put your preamp in the loop of the GT because that can cause a lot of noise and problems. Here's a more simple explanation to devilrob's thoughts (let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction)

Guitar to input of GT
Send from GT to Mark IV input
Send from Mark IV to Return of GT
Output from GT into Mark IV return

This puts the Mark IV preamp in the loop of the GT so you can put effects pre and post, but the chances of getting lots of unwanted noise and just overall ruining your tone are very high. Once again if you try watch all the volumes, I've done this before on amps and never like the outcome, but it might work for you.

visualrocker69 said:
ToneAddictJon said:

Really? So if I have a TC Electronic G-Force, for example, and a Ground Control Pro + GNX rack unit, i can't hook it up to distribute effects properly?

You can use this setup to achieve the proper FX distribution, you'd just have to choose one unit for pre fx (probably the GNX) and one for the post effects (G-Force). Or if you had a GCX switching system you can route everything through that and change the order depending on the sound.

It has to be set to custom because that setting is for custom/external. You set it to that setting then cycle through the types until you get to external. That's where you'll hear the preamp of the Mesa. Also make sure that the loop on the Mesa is activated or you won't hear anything.

i would just turn all the pre amps and other tone colouring sounds off on your Gt6... then run your gt-6's delays and chorus's so on thought the switchable fx loop.. this way you will have the mk IV pre doing the tone work and your gt-6 just making things FX's work..

That's what I did. I tried the 4 method deal but then decided I didn't really need anything in front of the amp other than a clean boost and I already have a great wah pedal.

Latest posts

Back