Fuse help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavarius

Reaction score
Ok. My IIC+ has an old fuse containing some weird white powder inside. It's printed on the fuse that it is 3,15A at 500V.

If I understood correctly, I'll have to use a Slow Blow 1,5A fuse since the voltage here is 220V. (on the back of the voltage selector it says: "Use 1 1/2A fuse for voltages 200 - 240)

But how many volts fuse should I buy? How does it matter? The old one had 500V... How do you know how many V Fuse you have to buy?

It would be nice if someone explained this to me in technical detail... I like to kinda... understand things fully. :roll:

Hey Octavarius,
The white powder inside your fuse is ABC fire retardant. I think this is only used in large amperage fuses. Without seeing it I'm a bit worried you may have a 15 amp fuse at 500 volts which is BAD!! You should be looking for a 1.5 amp 250 volt slow blow fuse. The Littlefuse brand calls this a 3AG type fuse. Breifly: a 1.5amp fuse at 500volts would allow 750 watts of power to pass to your PT before doing it's job and burning out. A 1.5amp fuse at 250volts would allow 375 watts of power to pass. The amount of current your amp draws from AC would normally be around 300watts. Multiply amps times volts to get wattage. That's why at 240 volts you should use a 1.5 amp fuse and back here at 120 volts we would use a 3 amp fuse to allow the same amount of power to pass the fuse before blowing.

Thanks for answering.

I haven't really turned the amp on yet (waiting for the god **** tubes to arrive) so I'm just checking if everything is ok etc...
Good thing I checked the fuse thing.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Back