Funky low end response from DC-5 head...retube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim

Reaction score
Picked up my first Mesa...a pristine DC-5 head. I've started spending some quality time with it, and it just doesnt sound right. I had a Marshall 100W super lead years ago, so I think I have an idea what a good tube sound should be.

Anyways, I have a multi-effects board inline with the input, and most of the effects sound like crap. But even with no pedals, its sounds a bit "off". I assumed preamp didnt like the effects, so I put it in the effects loop and it sounds better, but still not great. I went back to putting it in line, enabled an octive divider, which adds some super low freqs, and the amp seemed to totally freak out on the lows....total garbage sounding output. The same setting sound beautiful with my JC-120. Help.

Retube? And if so, with what?

Thanks.

How about taking your effects unit out of the signal chain and dialing tones with the amp first? There are too many variables when you throw in an effects processor like the one you are using.

What are you settings? What cab are you using? What guitar? Which pickups? What cables(speaker and guitar)?

You might have a bum pre tube but that's just a shot in the dark. Having bought the amp used you cannot have anyway of knowing for sure how much use/abuse are on the tubes so it is probably a good idea to do a full tune up and start from there (for piece of mind's sake).

Greg

When was the last time the power tubes were changed? Funky/loose/crappy low end is a sign your power tubes are worn.

Hi Slim,

I've got a DC5 Combo and have great bottom end. My first question is what kind of cab you running? Some sound great with one amp, yet like crap with another. My combo sounds great on its own, but sounds only "ok" with the Mesa Thiele cab alone. But the combo + the Thiele cab together is simply amazing in its depth and girth of tone ...simply an example where mix/match is important.

Also, definitely remove all fx from the chain and get a foundational sound you're satisfied with first, guitar straight to amp. Not to mention that settings for one amp absolutely cannot be transferred onto another amp and expected to sound the same. My fx, for example, are set markedly different from my DC to my Fender, a 6V6 20watter. Different tone machines require different settings. And FWIW, I hate the fx loop in the DC5, but that's me.

This may sound lame, but read the manual (print it from the Mesa site), as it actually gives you insight as to what the controls do, and how they've been designed to work. It sounds funny, but the treble isn't just a treble. Really. If you've never owned a Boogie before, the controls do NOT work like you think they work as in other amps ...the controls have their own "method to the madness" as it were. This BTW confounds many, leading many to dismiss Mesas as "tweaking nightmares" or "can't find a decent tone" which, more often than not, was a result of approaching the amp like you would any other amp. Well, for good or for bad, a Mesa's gain structure and tone stack require a different approach. Of course the other possibility exists: that the Mesa tone just isn't your tone.

Understanding the gain structure and tone stack really is paramount in getting "your" sound. And yes, Boogies do require more time to "dial in" than other amps ...if only at first as most learning curves are steep at their onset. But if it still lacks bottom after trying the above, then yeah, try the tubes.

If I may leave you with my opinion that the DC5 is a very versatile amp, and capable of covering lots of tonal ground. Had mine for near a decade now and just can't get rid of it (whereas I've bought and sold other amps in the interim). It offers amazing tone and versatility for the buck IMHO.

Edward

Back