Fulltone OCD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to do a search of that topic on this forum. There have been quite a few threads with that topic and lots of opinions and reasons. Generally, it's considered one of the better OD's. It's not really one of the Tubescreamer clones though, and depending on which version, it tends to produce a lot of full-range response. If you're playing it through a Recto, for instance, you'll likely have to either dial way back on the amp's bass or use an EQ to tame the mud. That's often what I do using my v.4 through my Triple Rectifier.

The OCD can also sound pretty darn good all by itself for light to medium gain sounds, so one of my favorite places to use it is with the clean channel set to Pushed. Doing that can give me a great high-gain Marshall type of tone.

DudewithFr0 said:
How does it compare to other overdrive pedals?

I owned one, it was very nice. However, I prefer the Xotic BB Preamp. It's controls are VERY responsive and it's a very warm sounding OD. Works well as a boost as well as in front of your clean channel. I thought the OCD was very bright sounding to my ear.

i have both the bb preamp and the OCD and use them for different purposes.

The OCD sounds better to me for boosting your high gain channels for rhythm work. It has a somewhat thinner sound especially in the low pass setting which to me fits really well with the roadster for heavy tight rhythms. Your fatter ODs will usually add more girth and when you already have a fatter tone being shaped in the amp itself things can get a little too fat.

The BB is great because it has a fatter/smoother sound which to me works well with the clean and mid gain type tones. It adds that extra girth thtas great for bluesy stuff and getting somehwta class A type cleans in that it makes the cleans a little more anxious.

Both ODs are very transparent, not adding anything you dont want tot he tone and lets your amp sound liek itself.

Back