Full circle..............

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Hey guys I started off my Mesa addiction with a 20/20 power amp and quickly moved from a PV Tubefex Preamp to a Triaxis, 212 half back.......yadda yadda yadda. Now I have a RK I, Mark IVB shorty head, Thiele cabs, 212 halfback, and scored a Triaxis on the cheap. Playing the Mark IV I really love the tone but it seems like I can't have it all (mean raw distortion and then a SUPER smooth lead) and was briefly really enjoying the RK for being able to have a nice raw crunch and a smooth lead tone. The problem isn't finding settings because I actually have found some great ones that really work for me but I also have 2 very different guitars and unfortunately what works for one doesn't work for the other. Now with the Triaxis back in the game I realize I need both the Mark IV and the triaxis but not the RK so much.

Some truths that I've come to accept:

Yes, the Triaxis is compressed compared to the actual amps and other mesa preamps.
Yes, the DV blows more than Dizzy Gillespie
Yes, the interface sucks
Yes, the increments are limited

So now what am I trying to do? Keep the Mark IV of course because knobs are irreplacable; especially if you need just a hint of an adjustment while playing. Keep the thiele cabs (i don't think this one needs an explanation). Keep the Triaxis (I got this thing for a great price so it's a no brainer and the versatility is there is spades). Maybe buy another 20/20 and effects processor (looking at the G major unless I can find a used G system for a steal) and basically have my original boogie rig that introduced me to the Mark series tone.

When I sold my TA i was not in a band but now I am so I need to go from clean, to mean, to scream, to fusion, to rock, to metal, to god knows what else. I also have to use a strat and a parker fly so I need the different settings for the different guitars(which is mainly for the clean)

The TA is a familiar friend so it's nice having it to fall back on if the Mark IV doesn't do it for me in some instances.

What I have learned:

Thiele cabs rock!!! I didn't really expect them to sound as good as they do and since I can't try before I buy I was a little leary of just jumping in and buying one blindly.

The Mark IV is a great amp but it is limited to it's controls and layout

The Roadking is a great amp but it is way too big and heavy to be practical. If needed I can replace this with a recto pre.

The Triaxis is not the best amp/preamp but it is a staple for my tone and my ability to accomplish my tonal mission.

Owning a million and one amps is not necessary but it sure makes finding your tone and what works for you more productive and certainly is fun.

That's all just wanted to share my story.

Greg

Big, heavy, and impractical......but 8)

Maybe you should rack your Mark IV in with the TriAxis, FX, power amp, and some sort of switcher like a GCX to split your guitar signal and channel-switch the MkIV. MkIV dry into the 2x12, T/A with all the effects to your Thieles.

If you're not using the RK, you could off it to fund the FX processor, power amp, switcher, midi controller, rack kit for the IV, all the cables, and still might have some cash left over.

At one point I was running a head, preamp, and effects proc with a switching unit but it just wasn't me. I like options but that was too much and the nightmare of a wiring job............don't even get me started.

I can always slave the Triaxis into the Mark IV which gives me a real GEQ and all of the power amp options (plus the ability to switch between class A and simul). That's another reason I am not getting rid of the Mark IV because even if I prefer the TA at the moment, for certain things, I can still incorporate the Mark head and use it as a simul satellite or I can go to a gig with a backline amp and just the plug the TA in and call it a day.

I actually have another amp on the way and I hope it is a winner (subway rocket non-verb). That would be great for doing small low volume gigs but I haven't heard it yet so I can't say for sure it will work for me. I bought it initially because I need something for practicing at home but don't want to go the modeler route (been there done that). We'll see how it goes maybe I will have to make another post how I sold all of my gear and now play through a subway rocket and attenuator :)

The most important thing for me is that with the TA I play my guitar instead of trying to tweak to get the sound I want. Yeah, I mean, I still love to experiment but I can experiment on patch 25 and I know when I go to patch 1 that it will be an inspiring tone. Once you get to that point with an amp I think it brings out the best in your playing and allows you to get where you want to go. For me, the amp/tone determines how I play and the guitar determines how physically easy it is going to be. This is surely not the case for everyone but while building my skills back up it certainly is making the process easier.

Greg

Latest posts

Back