• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Mark III Combo, Quad Preamp, Strategy 400 to buy axe-fx

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcguitarz

Reaction score
Well after being a mesa snob and owning everything from a mark iii to v, lonestar, tremoverb, and dual rectifier, it's time for me to sell out and get an Axe Fx :twisted:

So I have to part with the last of the mesas in my collection:

1986 Simulclass Mesa Mark III NO Stripe with reverb and graphic EQ in XLNT condition in custom Creme tolex. Gil Ayan's name is spray painted on the bottom

Mesa Quad with footswitch

Mesa Strategy 400 (no presence control version). Front panel just has on/off and standby's

Reasonable cash offers only please! I am in Chicago and you can email me at [email protected] for info and pics. I don't have much time to surf forums and get my post counts up as I'm rarely at a computer, but I have many references and just shipped my Soldano SLO to a happy guy through craigslist last month. Thanks!

DON'T DO IT. The Axe FX is just a fad and, trust me, everyone will be selling those things in about a year. You'll wish you had your nice, awesome TUBE amps. Just my opinion, but you didn't ask for that, so sorry. lol :)

Playing in 2 top 40 cover bands and only having to deal with bringing a small rack and a midi pedal would be a lifesaver. I still have an analog setup (tone king/ceriatone hrm) for studio/original band. Alot of my friends use it and hearing them live I can't even tell the difference!

Yeah, I hear you. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it just seems like whenever some new rack/ multi effects unit comes out, everyone pisses their pants over it for a while, then a few years later, people start talking about it like, "Oh, THAT thing - I used that!', then they go on to talk about how they're back to their Marshall JCM800. LOL!

If I had some money, I'd buy your Mark III in a heartbeat, though. :)

BMcNibbnles said:
DON'T DO IT. The Axe FX is just a fad and, trust me, everyone will be selling those things in about a year. You'll wish you had your nice, awesome TUBE amps. Just my opinion, but you didn't ask for that, so sorry. lol :)

Keep telling yourself that, everyone said the same thing 2 years ago and the Axe-Fx is still here. The standard cost $1500 new and you can't find it anywhere used for under $1350, what does that tell you. I don't even own one, but i will soon. But after playing it i know it's the real deal and considering all it does, it's actually a bargain.

Amen brother! I messed with a friends using the editor software, and if you want, this thing can be downright crazy with parameters to fine tune your tone, such as plate voltage, bias, bright cap values, EQ slopes, etc... Being an EE it's stuff that I'm familiar with and know how it can affect tone, but yeah it's pretty impressive to have those parameters at your fingertips live as well (just not as convenient scrolling through menus) Anyways I've owned it all,...SLO, VHT Ultralead, Bogner, Mesa, Vintage Marshalls, Mesas, Matchless, Fenders...yadda yadda. Every time I try out or hear an Axe FX it's unreal staring at this 2 space rack and getting these sounds. Check out the Pete Thorn video on youtube. No over processed 80's tones like the rest of them. Just straight up dry vintage rock tone! :twisted:

BMcNibbnles said:

What bullshit. I have a Mark IV and an Axe Ultra. The Axe rocks and does so much it's not even funny. They sound great. I don't understand why people have to be so childish and close-minded when it comes to new gear. Selling them off in a year? They've been selling for years now. Get your head out of the ground.

You know what I will say to you? WE'LL SEE who is right. Did you miss the part where I said, "Maybe I'll be proven wrong"? Maybe you'll be wrong, too. We'll see.

I still can't bring myself to sell my Mark IV for an AxeFx. I can't afford to have both (yet) so I'll keep digging through the couch cushions until I can.

BMcNibbnles said:
You know what I will say to you? WE'LL SEE who is right. Did you miss the part where I said, "Maybe I'll be proven wrong"? Maybe you'll be wrong, too. We'll see.

You're wrong. The Axe has been out for several years already and is only gaining popularity. You obviously don't know **** about it or you wouldn't have made the comments you did. You're obviously an Axe hater to have come into this guy's FS thread just to knock his intention to get one.

Get a life man.

I'm not wrong that people ARE selling these things. I see it all the time on the Petrucci forum. And, I just saw you getting pissed at someone else on that forum for saying the same thing as me. Well, you know what? You intimidated that person and you're not going to do it to me.

Just because it's, "gaining popularity" doesn't mean it's GOOD. Have you considered that some people are simply using it for convenience? It's easier to transport, it has a lot of sounds, etc. All those famous people who are using them most likely find it easier to transport from city to city, venue to venue, etc. Doesn't mean they think it SOUNDS better. Plus, Petrucci uses it in his B rig and doesn't even use any of the actual amp simulations.

So, MY OPINION is that I think it's a fad and people are selling them and we will see a decrease in the amount of people using them as well as an increase in people going back to real tube amps.

To each his own guys! My buddy swears that his $200 Flextone III sounds better than my Mark IV. Although anyone else in the world with 2 ears would disagree with him he is happy as a clam and has been so for three years with this amp. Who gives a crap about what is a fad or is th in thing right now. If it sounds good then play the **** thing and fu@k resale value.

I agree with that. I just don't think it's right for people like "Cud" to try to not let people have their opinions. He tries to intimidate people and I have no tolerance for that. Anyway....

Just got the Ultra...just sold my Shiva, SLO, and some other toys...it rocks guys! Give it a try. I was hesitant too! Alot of the presets are over processed, but after hearing tone monster Pete Thorn tear it up with some mostly dry sounds here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oER9vtXj-1Q I was convinced I had to have one.

ryjan said:
I still can't bring myself to sell my Mark IV for an AxeFx. I can't afford to have both (yet) so I'll keep digging through the couch cushions until I can.

OK, now, not to eat crow at my last response but..................

DONT DO IT. I got an Axe-Fx last week and while it sounds decent, it's NO substitute for a real amp, because it's not a real amp. My Fortin modded Marshall sounds better than anything i can dial up. The Axe does effects nice and it's versatile. It' a good 2nd rig to have but don't unload your amp.

danyeo1 said:
ryjan said:

OK, now, not to eat crow at my last response but..................

DONT DO IT. I got an Axe-Fx last week and while it sounds decent, it's NO substitute for a real amp, because it's not a real amp. My Fortin modded Marshall sounds better than anything i can dial up. The Axe does effects nice and it's versatile. It' a good 2nd rig to have but don't unload your amp.

I was waiting for your thoughts on this ..... thanks. Pretty much my thoughts after watching people I know using them at gigs. Good addition but not a replacement.

bmcnibbles got it right. those things come and go like the next day. nothing but convienence. sure the 1000 presets and all the tweaking is good but who really f&cks with that ****. adjusting this paremeter and this voltage and all the other crap. guitarists just want to play the guitar and not the other way around. the best is always the easiest as far as tone. plug in your guitar and play let the sound man play with the tweaking. waste of time as far as i am concerned. anyways those who buy into that axe fx thing end up tweaking it to their favorite amp sound any ways. so bring on all the neg feedback about my post it doesnt matter because some of us listen to our tone and dont let other tells us what we should sound like.

Latest posts

Back