Fryette Power Station with the Mark V25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
So a week ago today I received my Fryette Power Station. My reason for buying it were 3 fold.
1. Attenuator/Effects loop for my JCM 800
2. The fact that it can be a power amp for my Axe FX
3. To give me a power boost on those occasions where I just need a touch more power out of my V25

I know some of you were interested in how this would work with the V25 so I thought I would give my initial impressions here.

This week I spent some serious time with it and I have to say I am VERY impressed.

I have used it in the following configurations with my Mark V25.
1. Amp speaker output plugged directly into the amp in.
2. Effects Send into the line in.

First, as a volume boost.
This thing will make the V25 significantly louder if you need it. Though I would suggest that if you really need the extra volume on the Mark V25, and it was the only thing you were using it for it would make more sense to probably just get the full size Mark V.

That aside.

It can be as transparent as you want. With the switches set to flat there is barely any detectable tone different when put in the circuit. I would equate any tone difference to the type of tone difference you would get if you added a true bypass pedal to your signal chain. No change in feel.

But if you want it to alter your tone, it can do that as well. It has two switches, one switch (Flat, Bright, Edge) and another (Flat, Warm, Deep).

Putting it in deep mode will add Gobs of low end to the tone.

As far as which configuration I prefer , it is hard to say. But if I had to pick probably with the V25 speaker out directly into the Power Station. It retains all the V25 tone and feel.

Did I mention how transparent this thing is?

Going from the effects send of the V25 to the line in also sounds great. But you are then skipping the V25 power section. And for me I LOVE those EL84's which is why I think I am partial to the other configuration. Though the difference is VERY subtle which I think speaks volumes about what a great job Boogie did with the power section of the V25.

I would only use it with my V25 when we jam with 2 guitarists as I find when doing a 3 piece the V25 is plenty loud on it's own. But I have to say it works very nicely with the V25.

Plus it looks like the form factor was made for the V25. The V25 head sits perfectly on top of it. They are almost identical width and depth.

On a side note is works unbelievably well as a loop for my JCM 800. The transparency really surprised me. I know everyone claims transparent, but how many products actually deliver? This one I think does.

Thanks for the review. I've been messing around with some fx recently for my V:25 and this little guy might be a lot of fun for making a stereo rig.

It's very cool. It does so many things and does them all surprisingly well.

The thing I love is it has not opened up all lunchbox amps to me. I could even take An Epiphone Valve Junior and add delay and keep up with drums

Latest posts

Back