Friend thinks Digitech Death Metal is better than Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I do own a Roland Cube 20 that I play when the kids are sleeping or Im just messing around. Its nice to have a shitty little solid state modeler to kick around. But I aint going to tell you that it belongs even in the same room as my mark iv.

ryjan said:
Now I do own a Roland Cube 20 that I play when the kids are sleeping or Im just messing around. Its nice to have a sh!t little solid state modeler to kick around. But I aint going to tell you that it belongs even in the same room as my mark iv.

Exactly. All I have are huge Recto half stacks around the house. I really regret getting rid of my Line 6 combo. Man that amp was wonderful for low volume tinkering at night.

bduersch said:
This is a tough one, because it's a personal thing... if he says that the Digitech/Marshall setup sounds better to his ears, then I don't think there's anything you can do to convince him that the DR sounds better. It's like trying to convince someone that their favorite flavor of ice cream should be strawberry instead of chocolate.
It's like trying to convince them it should be strawberry instead of ****....

Turumbar82 said:
Now, does he like only death metal type music? If so you can get away with just using a high gain pedal into whatever amp. Cannibal Corpse uses Metalzone's in Recto's, and a lot of other classic death metal sounds were created with solid state amps.
cannibal uses the MT-2 for a clean boost/overdrive. but yeah the MT-2 is a staple of the classic Florida death metal sound.

Tube amps are a little less forgiving if your not the best player. Just go to GC and listen to the 15 year old shredders on the Line 6 stuff.

Also if he's going into music stores and playing tube amps at low volume, it's going to sound way different from from one that is really pushing the power section as it should.

I like the comments from other posters

....what is it about your sound that you like.
...why don't popular bands use this type of set up.

If he's a good friend work with him. If not, there's plenty of other guitar players out there.

ryjan said:
Dude! Im going through the same thing with my buddy. We both ran out and bought Boss GT-3's back when they first came out and ran them as preamps through the loop returns of our crappy crate amps and now 10 years later he still runs his that way through a Peavey 5150! I still use mine but only as a tuner and volume pedal and maybe a little delay. He thinks the "metal" distortion fuzz box in the boss sounds "tighter" than the lead channel of the 5150. I told him he needs to learn how to play better because the boss just covers up his crappy picking. These are the people who use the factory presets. :lol:

Thing is, this might not be what he's after, but I reckon he's probably prefers the response and tone of a solid state amp over a valve amp...

I have tried the Rectoverb, and tremoverb, I had an F50, and I know have a 5.50 I hate the Hi gain its just fuzzy sounding, The pedals are much better, the digitech are amazing, I was using Boss but the Digitech are much better.

UKBoogieboy said:
I have tried the Rectoverb, and tremoverb, I had an F50, and I know have a 5.50 I hate the Hi gain its just fuzzy sounding, The pedals are much better, the digitech are amazing, I was using Boss but the Digitech are much better.

:shock: :lol: ......turn the gain down and the volume up........pedals are just as fizzy as amps. preamp distortion is preamp distortion.....fizzy, buzzy, compressed, without any real dynamics or touch sensitivity....unless it's digital modeling which does a fairly good job capturing the essence of a cranked amp.

I hope he plays a Strat to go with his new Krank. You know, since they were made for metal and all. :wink:

TheMagicEight said:
I hope he plays a Strat to go with his new Krank. You know, since they were made for metal and all. :wink:

GEEZ, this reminds me, we had one of those at a concert I played. I was lending my amp for the backline at a local concert. Some kid was trying to play crazy train with a strat and was complaining that the Dual was just too chunky! He ran one of those horrible distortion pedals and pronounced it "AWESOME DUDE" much to my chagrin!
I told him "man, why don't you play a proper guitar for the style then? Strats don't typically do good metal, at least not with stock single coil pickups."
Guy just responds, "Man, my strat is AWESOME!"

idiot!

TheMagicEight said:

Micheal Wilton
Chris DeGarmo
Yngwie Malmsteen
George Lynch
Kirk Hammet
Eddie Van Halen
Dave Murray
Warren DeMartini
Chris Immpelliteri
Joe Stump
Jerry Cantrell
Joe Holmes
Jake E Lee
and pretty much any other metal guy from the 80's.

They may not have "Fender" written on the headstock but they were all strats.

Well, there are some times when I play my 15 watt Line 6 spider and think "Man, this thing sounds awesome". Once I crank it past the "12 AM volume", I realize why I own a tube-amp. :lol:

in a way, your friend is in a good place. He has found a tone which he loves, is cheap to maintain/replace. Let him be. Your friend wouldnt have to spend 100's of 1000's of dollars chasing tone like most of us and giving in to GAS. I had a guitarist friend who was set on his "tone". He wouldn't even talk about changing it. It was bassy and trebly. Zero mids!

emperor_black said:
Well, there are some times when I play my 15 watt Line 6 spider and think "Man, this thing sounds awesome". Once I crank it past the "12 AM volume", I realize why I own a tube-amp. :lol:

in a way, your friend is in a good place. He has found a tone which he loves, is cheap to maintain/replace. Let him be. Your friend wouldnt have to spend 100's of 1000's of dollars chasing tone like most of us and giving in to GAS. I had a guitarist friend who was set on his "tone". He wouldn't even talk about changing it. It was bassy and trebly. Zero mids!
I think him having good tone would be doing the audience a favor, not him.

kekam35 said:
TheMagicEight said:

Micheal Wilton
Chris DeGarmo
Yngwie Malmsteen
George Lynch
Kirk Hammet
Eddie Van Halen
Dave Murray
Warren DeMartini
Chris Immpelliteri
Joe Stump
Jerry Cantrell
Joe Holmes
Jake E Lee
and pretty much any other metal guy from the 80's.

They may not have "Fender" written on the headstock but they were all strats.

Stop being pedantic. Marshall JCM800s were used for metal too but they were modded to all hell. You know full well a stock American strat, (Not deluxe, fat strat, etc) has to be modified to be suitable to play metal, unless you use a crazy high gain head with a boost pedal.

YellowJacket said:
Stop being pedantic. Marshall JCM800s were used for metal too but they were modded to all hell. You know full well a stock American strat, (Not deluxe, fat strat, etc) has to be modified to be suitable to play metal, unless you use a crazy high gain head with a boost pedal.
Or a Digitech Death Metal :lol:

Back