Friedman or Hermansson or Marshall...etc.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TremoJem

Reaction score
So I recently watched some Friedman videos...most specifically the BE-100 and Dirty Shirley.

I also watched countless Henric Hermansson videos where he rebuilds the Laney and Simms-Watts PAs.

Here is my take away.

This is the tone I have been after. It is, to me, a vintage, vibe, groove, with *** behind it...but not hi-gain.

So am I too believe that these guys base there designs and mods on the Marshall circuit?

Which leads me to my next question.

Since there is no way modding my two Tremoverbs will ever release that tone to my fingers...should I consider moving in that direction?

If so, what are your suggestions?

You have a couple of choices:

1. Make the Tverb tone your own and use it for whatever you do. It won't sound like a modded Marshall, but so what? The Tverb sounds great.
2. Get something based on a modded Marshall tone. There are plenty to choose from, including the Royal Atlantic and Electradyne.

Thanks Elvis.

I have been a member here for awhile and have had several conversations with you.

I don't think I would necessarily sell both TVerbs, but definitely would consider selling one, or just adding this new amp.

By the way, the Landry LS100-G3 is killing me as well.

I can't explain it, but that tone is really where I am at...so it is very frustrating.

I think I just need to take one of my combos and A/B demo the Friedman, as I will never be able to demo the other two, without some serious traveling plans.

This way, if the Friedman slays me and I am lost on the TVerb, which I have had two since 2004, then I know what my options are.

Add the Friedman or Landry and keep one TVerb.

Of course I would also demo the the two you mentioned as well.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

No problem, TJ.

I have been playing through a Shiva lately. At first, I really liked the Shiva for where it was different from the Mesas I have tried. But at the moment I am really struggling with it to get just the right tone out of it. So no amp is perfect. I am running it through a lot of different cabs, and that is definitely a huge part of the sound. So that may be something you want to try with your Tverb.

Look at my sig. I have a bunch of amps. Why not? Life is short.

Thanks Elvis.

I agree.

I have not updated my sig.

I now use a Marshall 4x12 that I restored, rewired for vertical stereo. I place one Tverb on either side and plug both into it. Each Tverb gets two vertically stacked G12T-75s.

I also added Xotic RC, AC and BB preamp to the front of the amp.

I now run Strymon Timeline, BigSky and Mobius thru the loop.

I originally modded the Tverbs for series and then restored to parallel.

For some reason the FX Loop is just not cutting it, I don't know what is aloof, but when using the amps in hi-gain the delays are not pronounced like they used to be.

I am thinking of going to FJA to have them looked at.

I just remember and have recordings of them when I used the TC G Major and the delays and everything else was killer.

Then over time I noticed something wrong and retired the TC. But with my new pedals it is not what it used to be.

So something leads me to believe the amps are aloof or something.

At one time I thought I needed buffers so I bought two "ThisOnesMine' buffers and placed them in the circut between the Mesa's and the TC...that did not help.

I almost wonder if the buffers messed something up.

But, to your point...yes more gear is always better.

Wow, that rig sounds killer.

Sorry to hear about the FX loops. Yes, they are a constant point of contention with me as well.

Try checking the signal level. Mesa loops are notoriously hot, you may be overdriving the pedals in the loop.

My Shiva is odd, in that it has a high-level send and a low-level send. They are both series, but the amount of effect, as well as the final output volume, vary greatly depending on which send I use.

Thanks Elvis.

Not sure what you mean.

With the TC I could control input/output.

With the Strymon this is not possible, unless you mean the SEND level.

If so, then bring the SEND level down a bit maybe.

Let me know, thanks.

Well I got it a little closer to what I want.

Before I retired my TC, I used the EQ in the TC, in the FX Loop, to cut the mud and increase some higher mid frequencies, and this helped a GREAT deal in getting that brown sound, but I don't have it anymore so here is what I did to get closer than I was a couple weeks ago.

I cloned the Red channel to the Orange channel.

I switched to silicon diode.

I switched the power to bold.

I then just worked with the tone controls, including both presence controls, to get as close to the brown sound as I could.

I also use the Radial Tonebone JX-2 in front of the amp to boost the mids a little.

I actually sounds pretty good.

So maybe I will pick up a real good EQ that I can use in my FX Loop to further shape the tone.

Or, spend a lot of money on mods...any suggestions on a real good EQ for this purpose, that I can place in the FX Loop?

And where should this fall in the FX Chain...before or after the Strymons.

Before would control the tone going to the FX and after would control the tone coming out of the FX.

My guess is before.

Thanks Elvis

Hey what about this...a dbx 251s.

This way each amp has a dedicated 15 band EQ.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/215S

Latest posts

Back