Fret Job Question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
I live in Hooterville. Don't trust any locals, and I don't want to tackle it myself, even though all of the info is on the internet. I want it RIGHT.

I've got a 91 American Sunburst Ash Tele (with a black pickguard) that is my # 1 , and I dearly love, and it is almost ready for frets.

I want to go Stainless so I never have to do it again, I can adjust for any tonal changes, but have some questions.

Can I just ship the neck, or would they need the whole guitar?

Who are the best?

Any horror stories?

Would you just buy another neck? Then the serial # and MOJO is gone, eh?

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

I know a guy who does great work. He charges only $175 for a fret job on Fender necks. You're going to want to ship the whole guitar because otherwise it can't be set up which is included in the price. It's also impossible to check for buzz, etc. without your guitar body. Since all bodies are different (if even slightly) this is pretty important. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you his number. By the way he lives in Hooterville too and knows your pain.

My luthier's teenaged daughter gave me my first fret job back when I was in high school. I'll never forget it.

Hey Murph, I got some stuff for you.

First, a question:

Maple or rosewood fingerboard? Fender sprays the neck after fretting and a maple board is WAY more work to get the frets out (and to refinish the board) than a rosewood board.

I don't know if it is still true but Fender used to press the frets in from the side instead of the top, removing them from the top can be problematic.

If it were mine, I would remove and save the original neck as-is and get a Warmoth or other premium brand neck with compound radius and all the specs you prefer. It won't cost much more and can really improve your tone. I have refretted many necks and could easily do it my self and I would still do what I just suggested unless it is your favorite neck.

Just my 2 cents. Doubt you will notice much change in tone BTW. Put some Sperzels on there while you are at it. Good luck.

I would do what SixVeeSix said and buy a neck from Warmoth. You can have a custom neck made for a little more than a re-fret. PEACE.

Sorry so slow. Lots of ice damage here in Illinois, now water problems.

Yea 6v6 I might do that. I'm good for a few while, might just semi retire her and get a new one.

For what it's worth, mine doesn't have much finish left on the fretboard. :lol:

Murph.

Check out mike lull in Seattle,wa. www.mikelull.com
The Clintele list should say it all. They can use a special machine called a plek that can do fret work accuratley to 1/1000th of an inch, at least thats what I was told. I did play a les paul custom that my buddyhad them use the plek on, Holy crap it played amazing and the action was the lowest I have ever seen on a les paul :shock: . Prices are surprisingly good.
You should be able to send it there. I am getting both off my lespauls done soon. Well, after I pay off my new Stiletto!!

Latest posts

Back