FRACTAL FX8 PEDAL BOARD WITH MARK V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATR1

Reaction score
Anyone looking at this new product to match up with there Mark V?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-cfAckn254

http://shop.fractalaudio.com/FX8_Multi_Effects_Pedalboard_p/fas-007.htm

I've just updated my rig to a Gig rig G2 which I'm using with my mark v 25. But I saw the FX8 just after I got my new board and I'm thinking about getting one when they eventually come out. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

I thought about doing that and still not out of the question but I don't do any recording at this time mostly playing live. I can change out my nova system with FX8 add (2) expression pedals.

Yes - I am curious about the FX8

I like my Mobius and Timeline - They work well with the Mark V, but I miss an Intelligent Harmonizer option

I tried an H9 - but I did not bond with it. I also had a G Major 2 a few times and did not like the way the AD converters messed with the tone

Yea. I'm still on the wait list hoping to get invite soon for my FX8. I thinks it will be awesome..

I too am interested in hearing how Mark V owners like the Fractal FX8. Looking forward to reports.

I'm currently using a Line6 X3Live with a Mark V combo and a Mini Amp Gizmo for live gigs. The FX8 would be a major upgrade over the X3live I'm pretty sure (understatement?) but since you can't try one of these out at a store any user reports would be very helpful.

Here is the link to forum:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fx8/fx8-discussion/

There are a couple of guys who own Mark Vs. read some of the posts. I like the fact you can separate your effects to feed front and loop of amp. They just updated the drives should be a +.

For all the times I've bought and sold pedals...
There's no way in hell I'd buy that expensive of a pedal because I'm sure I'd end
up ditching it when the next new thing floats my boat or comes around...hehe.

To add, the reason why I ditched my Line6 unit like that is that I sucked at creating
patches and something never lined up right between home, rehearsal, and gig.
Individual pedals are, for me, much easier to tweak on the fly.

I'm using TC G-System with my Mark V:25.
Nearly the same things as FX8 but you can extend it with up to 4 additional pedals, and it cost nearly nothing in comparison with FX8 :lol:
Maybe when we got some FX8 units used on the market it will be interesting to try, but for the moment I do not see any need to change one digital unit by another one :)
And yes I've tried Fractal Axe FX MkII 4 cable method with my MarkV and there is no huge difference between this one and G-Sysytem to justify this huge gap in price :shock: :mrgreen:

Quoted

"Nearly the same things as FX8 but you can extend it with up to 4 additional pedals, and it cost nearly nothing in comparison with FX8" :oops:

TC Electronic G-System

List Price: $2,449.00
Price: $999.99

FX8 Multi-Effects Pedalboard

List Price: $1,999.95
Direct Price $1,349.95

JUST AN FYI.
I think they last updated G system in September 1, 2011
Still a great product.

ATR1 said:
TC Electronic G-System
List Price: $2,449.00
Price: $999.99

FX8 Multi-Effects Pedalboard

List Price: $1,999.95
Direct Price $1,349.95

Don't forget that you can get TC Electronic G-System about $500 in nearly mint condition :D
P.S. No need to update means no bugs :lol:

I've been using a G System for several years. It has quite a few drawbacks, but they have been interfaced with every possible amp and pretty-well rung out.

I am not sure how much testing Fractal has done, but I expect the first release of the FX8 to have significant problems in the field and take a couple of years to straighten out with software patches and possible hardware revisions.

It is my understanding that Fractal has mostly been designed to work with their internal preamp models, and I don't know how much time they have spent supporting interface to products like Mesa.

I think the FX8 will probably be a really cool box, and I am on the waiting list as well. But you can definitely get a G System barely-used for $500. And the G System community is incredibly supportive. And it's a great box. For sure if I do wind up switching to the FX8 I will miss the nice big buttons on the G System.

I hope that the designers really did a great job on the FX8 and don't go "halfway" just to get a low-cost alternative to the ULTRA II or whatever their flagship is.

The way I understand the FX8 is a effects board only. This is not the Axe FX on the floor. Pure effects only. This going after us guys who like our amps and do not want a bunch of pedals..

If I am right these and all effects boards are generally computers and you know that computers are out dated by the time you buy it. TC is a good company and at one time I was going to buy the G System but they have abandoned this product a few years ago for some reason. I think that was a mistake.

ATR1 said:
If I am right these and all effects boards are generally computers and you know that computers are out dated by the time you buy it. TC is a good company and at one time I was going to buy the G System but they have abandoned this product a few years ago for some reason. I think that was a mistake.

I think it's a bit different. Computers do get outdated, yes. Processing power, blah blah blah. But effects?? I don't think that's something that gets outdated. The only "effects" that get outdated are the ones that are emulated (Line 6 stuff, Fractal stuff, etc). That's because new methods of capturing and replicating a certain pedal are created. As Line 6 and Fractal emulate most of their effects from other pedals or effect units, they will become obsolete because next year there will be a newer method that captures the essence of that effect more accurately.
However, the units that don't emulate other manufacturer's effects don't get outdated, except for processing power and DSPs and the ability to run multiple effects at a time (the G System for example can run up to 9 effects at a time... Need more than that?!) At this stage, the units that don't emulate effects can't become obsolete because you already have all the tweakability and transparency you would want at your disposal, and mainly because it's their effect, their own interpretation. I think we, many studios around the world and most pro's would agree that the 2290 is not outdated, and that's a 20-something year-old digital delay...
Though I think the updates to the G System were great, and I want to believe that "no more updates means no more flaws", I have to agree with you, I think TC made a bad move when they abandoned the G System and the other multi effects units.
Just my two cents.

The FX8 is out, but there are limited units in the wild and a wait list to buy still. I'm on the list.

I disagree that FX units get "outdated". They generally continue to do exactly what they did until they stop working. Some have software updates to improve features or performance along the way. But since we are all using devices designed to produce variants of effects mostly invented by 1970, obsolescence is not a big issue. Even if features improve (more effects at one time, better editor, more banks, etc), the box you bought 10 years ago probably still delivers if it powers up at all.

This is distinctly different from computers, where bloating operating systems and applications software and ever-more data-intensive uses like video editing continue to outpace speed and features, and where price-leader units fail inside of two years.

I've been using a G System for years, and it is still the only unit of its kind on the market and quite competitive. Other units are catching up, but the GS was ahead of its time. If it had a competent editor and they fixed just a couple key bugs, it would still be way ahead. The only feature that I see as obsoleting the GS is the ability of faster processors to allow for any effects in any order. You won't find a better-sounding processor than the GS.

Lets back up. My question was never who is better but rather was anyone with a Mark V looking at the new Fractal FX8 for purchase.
I don't care which unit anyone thinks is better. That's all up for debate. I'm getting the Fractal FX8 for my Mark V because I think TC Abandoned there GS. Fractal will have free updates all the time and I think that is a plus for all.
Who knows I may get this and not like it!

I am hoping for feed back from those who have the Fractal FX8 matched up with there Mark Vs..
Also hoping I am next on the list...

Latest posts

Back