forgive me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
for asking, but....

we have the Dual Calibers (DC), right? we have the Mark series....I, II, IIC? IIC+?
correct? I read a recent post about a DC5.

what is different about DC's vs. the IIC+ and such?

what is difference between DC and DC5?

and I think I've seen a .50 Caliber out there...what is that?

sorry for the new question. Im trying to experiment more with different Mesas and need some info!! Thanks!!

you forgot the mk III, the DC-3, DC-10, the 50 caliber +, and some other i'm sure ! :D

but it would be cool if a mesa guru made a list with some characteristics like this :

- channels (w/ or without separate tone setting)
- power (watt)
- kind of tubes
- graf EQ

maybe more.. i don't know... any idea ?

Oh my ...this could take some time. But here's some quick and dirty :)

MKI: started the "Boogie" as we know it. 100 loud watts (IIRC), cascading gain, two voices but essentially a 1-ch amp.

MKII, IIb, IIC: ...all "evolving" models stemming from the Mark theme, with a variety of iterations which separate them. Don't get fooled into thinking III is better than II, or C is better than B; all have slightly diff voices and what you like for your taste is what matters. Oh, went two 2 channels, albeit shared tone stacks.

IIC+ : the "holy grail" of Boogie-dom. Tell ya the truth, I've never seen, heard, or played one in person but man do these command top dollar and attention. I'll let the experts give ya the goods on this one, but in essence is still a MkIIC ...just with added magic :)

MKIII: Mark goes 3 channel, but still with shared tone stacks. BTW, the GEQ is essential to tone shaping the Marks, IMHO ...ie if you want to use it as a channel switcher playing live. The various Marks come with or w/o the EQ as an option. There's 60, 100, and SimulClass which is the most signif aspect that separates these as there are many varieties of IIIs out there.

Mk IV: yet another step that goes beyond the III in features, and EQ is standard. More ability to shape indiv chanels, and also shape the R2 channel, and tube options, a variac-like "tweed" setting ...lots to tailor your tone with here. Remember, though, one Mark is only better than another by virtue of personal tastes.

Caliber 22 and 50: name designates the wattage diffs. The 50 came with 6L6s, but I recall seeing one with EL84s IIRC. Both are 2-ch amps but with shared tones stacks.

DC 3,5,10: these are "dual calibers" which means that they are the successors of the calibers, but now with separate and discrete channel knobs for each channel, from gain all the way to reverb, so no "compromise settings" need be made as each ch is indep of one another. The 3 is 35 watts with EL84s, the 5 and 10 are 6L6 amps. All these had GEQ standard. Oh, and also the DC2 (I've never even seen one anywhere ...wonder how many were made/sold). The DC2 is 20 watts (or was it 22 "dyna watts") and no GEQ .

This is just scratching the surface as there are myriad little diffs from one to the other. But I hope I gave you a bit to differentiate the models you mentioned in your post. Post again with specific Qs and I am certain you will get very specific answers. Also, use the search as there is a wealth of info there. :)

Edward

Just posting to say that the DC-3 is a 35 watt amp, not a 22 watt. The DC-5 and DC-10 are 50 watts and 100/60 watts (switchable), respectively. Otherwise, a solid rundown :)

Calamity said:
Just posting to say that the DC-3 is a 35 watt amp, not a 22 watt. The DC-5 and DC-10 are 50 watts and 100/60 watts (switchable), respectively. Otherwise, a solid rundown :)

Yup, 35 ...thanks for the correction and additions! Edited my post. :)

Edward

... The DC-2 says "Studio Caliber" on the face plate, otherwise it looks just like the DC-3. Mine screams through a Thiele.
Early versions of the DC-5 and 10 did not have the Contour feature, but had the Graphic EQ like the Marks. IIRC, the GEQ was an option on the early DC-3, and standard on early DC-5s and 10s.
The early 50 calibers were 4 x El-84, 50 watts. Later, the 50 Caliber Plus (+) had 2 x 6L6 @ 50 watts. The "Plus" refers to the added Lead Master knob (same for the "22+").
I have a catalog from this era (1990) that even mentions a "38 Caliber", but I have never seen one.
Too many dang models to keep track of!

Oh my ...this could take some time. But here's some quick and dirty

bravo... you did it well...

i'm sure that a mkIV user will complete the decription

thanks guys!! that was great! Im a proud Mark IV owner, but she's in desperate need of repair. I really want to experiment with some other Boogies but MONEY is always an issue as these things arent cheap!!

Why not just go to Mesa's website and download the manuals? That way you can get detailed descriptions of all Mesa's amps.

Latest posts

Back