For those who uses Mark IV recording out - help needed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badguitarist

Reaction score
How do you compared the recording out tone to the miced tone? How close is it to the miced tone? And how do you connect the whole thing to record? I'm just a noob when it comes to recording so any helps would be greatly appreciate! Thanks guys

No problem man, I've been using the recording out for quite sometime now.

Basically, the songs and clips I recorded using the recording out feature turned out great for what it is. I've heard people say to just use the feature as a sort of back-up when it's late at night and you can't mic your cab but overall the quality I'm getting is just crazy that I wouldn't mind using it as my main recording setup.

I've had a couple hours of experience with a Shure SM57 (which is not enough time at all to get the sound you want) and by playing a similar short 20sec riff that I had perviously recorded with the Mark IV's recording out, the miced recording sounds alot clearer and more alive whereas the other one sounds like it's missing the clarity or punchyness. Keep in mind that the cab and presence controls aren't in use when recording out so it makes a huge difference when comparing to a mic.

For my recording setup I have the recording out going into a M-Audio Pre USB and my M-Audio going into my laptop. I'm using Cubase as my DAW, bunch of plugins, and EZDrummer.

Overall I'm fine with using the recording out feature since I got some awesome results but if you can get your hands on a mic then get it, but it is alot more frustrating and time consuming to get the sound you want out of a mic (duh). If you have any problems or questions with recording out just send me a PM and I'll give you some settings to start out with.

Have fun :wink:

I've used the recording out and found similar things as fpoon has.

Basically you want to still make sure you have a load on the amp (cabinet connected if it's a head) and then run a standard guitar lead from the recording out tap to a recording interface. I think it lacks some of the nuiances and clarity that a mic would have but it is what it is.

I've liked to combine the two personally in the past. The recording out gives you a fuller tone than a single mic would and the mic picks up all the great speaker tone. Nothing beats a mic'ed setup done right and double tracked, etc, but for cranking out quick clips or messing around the recording out is a neat feature. I haven't used it in some time but it's great for silent recording with the volume pot pulled.

Thanks very much mates. Hell of information in your post! But actually I don't have any recording interface rightnow. All I have is a on-board soundcard on my laptop! So can I run the cable from the recording out to the mic in of my sound card?

badguitarist said:
Thanks very much mates. Hell of information in your post! But actually I don't have any recording interface rightnow. All I have is a on-board soundcard on my laptop! So can I run the cable from the recording out to the mic in of my sound card?

The plug sizes are different.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure that would even work because I do not know the specifics of the signal that is coming out of your amp.. I would imagine it'd be too much for your onboard to handle safely though as I said I am not sure. It doesn't sound like a terribly great idea in my opinion and it would probably sound pretty bad even if you could do it.

They have cables like this: ...though as I said I'd advise against it.
gbcable.jpg

I would recommend getting a dedicated interface. There are plenty of options if you're looking for something on the cheap. I would say confidently you could probably find one for ~50 USD

It would probably work, but you I wouldn't bother trying to record with consumer level sound cards. The DSPs in them suck and often have huge delays inherent to their design that makes recording a frustrating ordeal.

If you're serious about recording you should invest some money in a proper sound card. Preferably one with ASIO drivers and low delay times, something like <5ms. You can get some cheapish M-Audio cards that have lots of input types and they should also feature ASIO support.

It's boring and really sucks if you compare it to a miced up cab (you can't compare those two, it's not fair).

I guess it's okay if you really have to be quiet.

I was recording a bit with the direct out a few days ago and I forgot to connect a speaker, I played like 10 minutes without a load and the tubes were really BLUE! Not fun but luckily nothing happen, it workes fine. But REMEMBER to always have a load.

Latest posts

Back