for a lonestar special head....LSS owners are welcome...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlink

Reaction score
Hello guys!
Well, this summer, I did not know what to buy.....I was hesitating between a few amps....but something happened: I fell in love with a Gibson Flying V so I will buy my amp later :)
but still, I think I know which one I will buy....as I want a head which is not too big and heavy, as I love mesa and as we play mainly old school stuff....it will be great for cleans and crunch....
the only thing is we continue to play some metal(but not too modern) and I know that sometimes, an amp doesn't like a certain type of pedals....
and for the LSS, in fact I was thinking of these pedals:
Zvex fuzz factory(quite modern sounding but could be interesting)?
Mesa Bottle rocket?V twin?
Tonebone Hot british or Classic?
Badcat? Soldano GTO?

Actually, I would like really a good pedal that would have a thick and warm sound but for high gain, as I want it to complete the LSS.....so what do you guys use and own? and what would you advise me to take?

My guitars are a EC400 by LTD and a Gibson Flying V ....and well we play Lynyrd, ACDC,Creedence, Police etc......for the rock old school stuff(but for this, I suppose the amp alone is enough)...and concerning the metal sound we like well....think of old metallica, Rebel meets rebel etc.....

Hi Benlink,with my Lss combo I can get good warm overdrive by using only the amp(even without the drive switch) but a sustainer pedal can add more punch.A good humbuker will add character to your tone too.
The Tonebone sound good but not as good as the overdrive channel.You should use an overdrive pedal stacked to the gain channel for the ultimate tone,I bought a YJM DOD 308 overdrive on music123 for a piece of bread and its a nice warm boost for less money than a expensive tonebone.If you already own those pedal its cool but you'll not need them for a good tone(sometimes an eq pedal can do more than a distortion pedal).Another thing,I think the LSS is less powerfull tha the Classic in term of wattage.

thanks for your answer....so basically, you advise me to take a boost which would not change the amp's sound and only add gain...that's it?
and concerning the LSC, I know the LSS is "only" 30watts but 30watts class A is enough.... and the other thing really interesting is the possibility to use it as a 15 or 5 watt amp...
so a Xotic RC booster could be the thing? or a tubescreamer?

after thinking about it it seems that a pedal could be quite good for what I want.....
The Zvex Super Hard On..seems to keep the sound of the amp , is really simple and helps to have a more saturated sound.....
this could be great , couldn't it?
so I would have a good clean sound, a warm crunch, and thanks to this pedal, I would go a lot further in gain...and I would use the amp's boost for my solos...

Fulltone OCD.

It will never leave my LSS's effects loop. :)

The Fulltone OCD is probabaly the best overdrive pedal i've ever heard.

Also note worthy is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

However, I never seem to have money for either of these pedals, so I bought a digitech Bad Monkey for $40. One of the finest OD's I've ever heard, and for the price, probabaly the best equipment i've ever purchased. I keep the gain maxed out and the only time I use it is when I want to really scream with a Warren Haynes type sound on the LSS (which is really pretty often). For most things however, the amp's gain channel is incredible sounding.

For metal with the LSS the Damage Control Solid Metal takes you into Recto sounding territory, and for overdrive you could do a lot worse than using a compressor in the drive channel.

Hey All,
I really like my LSS, I am using a TS9 or TS9DX infront, (with the resistor and chip mods) i have them set just on the edge of breakup and i use it on either the clean channel to push it into breakup or on the dirty channel it will act as a boost.
S.

Back