Footswitch Issue..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NR2112

Reaction score
I just brought Mark V combo home last night. When I was at the GC they had said everything was in the back off the amp. Since everything seemed jammed packed in the back, I took his word thinking EVRYTHING was in the back. well I got home and everything was NOT in the back. I am missing the Footswitch cable!! and the manual (no biggie i guess)

I was really looking forward to playing it to its full ability with the footswitch, but couldnt last night!

SO. I looked at the manual online, and foudn that it takes a 7 pin DIN MIDI cable. Ok, no big deal I thought. I used the 7 Pin MIDI cable from my JSX footswitch, and when I plugged the footswitch in , all the lights came on like it was working fine, but there was no sound coming out! When I UNPLUGGED it, the sound came on, and it sounded great!

So I used my brothers footswitch cable from his Road King COntroller, and ervything worked fine, BUT the EQ footswitch button! I am so confused. Can I not just take a 7 Pin MIDI Cable and use that? Or is there a "Specific" Mark V connector??

Man, we have band practice tonight and I realyl wanna use this amp, but without foot controlls its useless...

This might be a daft answer...but did you switch the mute off? :)

Mork said:
This might be a daft answer...but did you switch the mute off? :)

ha yes, I made sure the mute light was off.

See, the lights are all functioning (except the EQ switch, that seems to be defunct no matter what) and I can tell that its off mute, but I cant get any noise outta the amp when my standard 7 pin midi cable is attached. I have a spare that I will try, but that cable has never given me guff before...

I believe it is actually an 8 pin... there is a middle pin as well that is active. What I find unusual is that it was your eq that wasn't working when you had the 7 pin connector. I had the same issue no cable, so I went back to the store and got the cable... well they gave me "a" cable from a triple rec and it was only a 7 pin but for me it was the effects loop that wouldn't work. I went back a 3rd time and made them find the actual cable for the amp (8 pin) and everything works.

I wanted to get another pedal snake to use with the new rig but the problem is that pedal snake can only go as high as 7 pin midi. If the mesa was wired so that using the 7 pin everything would work except the mute I would be fine with that but I want to be able to switch the eq in and out and of course the effects loop as well.

You paid alot of money for that amp, I would demand the cable and manual . If they give you a problem call mesa .

Barry said:
You paid alot of money for that amp, I would demand the cable and manual . If they give you a problem call mesa .

I did indeed. GC just called and said they would try to get one out ASAP. We'll see :lol:

I just wish the damned 7 pin connector would work (like it says int he manual)

NR2112 said:
Barry said:

I did indeed. GC just called and said they would try to get one out ASAP. We'll see :lol:

Just so you know, some foot switches had issues like your describing. I know I personnaly tried one at GC and it work only for the first switch. After that, it didn't respond until I cycled the power. Don't know whta the root problem was though.

I seem to recall reading something in the manual about the switch not working properly sometimes in variac power. Does the problem persist in full power mode?

NR2112 said:
Barry said:

Look at the "7 pin" cable that you are using. Does it have the middle pin? You'll see 7 pins around the outside either way but if you look at the footswitch input on the back of your amp you will see there is a hole in the middle as well. The cable that was meant to work with the amp has the same 7 pins around the outside and a pin in the middle as well . So I know that Mesa refers to it as a 7 pin DIN connection but as I said above when I used a cable without the middle pin I wasn't getting full functionality. As soon as I got the cable with the middle pin... everything worked perfect.

In my world the general rule is 7 + 1 = 8, maybe not at mesa... I'm just saying check the cable you are using ... if it doesn't have the middle pin then it's an easy fix... get the right cable.

UPDATE

I guess my brother had an old midi cable from MESA that came with his road king. He bought a new one, and kept the old one. This was a year ago. Im so glad he is so organized becasue he knew right where it was, adn when I plugged it in, BAM all the finctions worked and the amp sounded KILLER!

And yes, there actually were 8 pins!! so although it may say 7, look for this specific cable with the center pin.

The manual had a typo; The current manual, on Mesa's website, says 8 pins. It was last updated in February of 2010.

Back