Floyd Rose wins, now a few ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Tremolo unit do you prefer?

• Floyd Rose Original-style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Licensed" Floyd Rose-Low Profile/FR II-style

• Kahler Hybrid Trem

• Kahler Pro Trem

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
Which locking tremolo unit do you prefer to use and why?
I am looking at replacing the trem on my Ibanez and was just contemplating if I should stay with a Floyd style, or if the Kahler's are worth their hefty price tags.....
If I go floyd style, it'll more than likely be the Ibanez Edge bridge, and any insight on those would be appreciated as well
thanks

**I Bought a OFR**

-AJH

ive got an edge lo-pro on my 93 s470 and its awesome. it the best trem bridge ive ever dealt with. not too familiar with all these bridges but i really couldnt ask for more than an edge.

If you're replacing a pre-existing bridge I'd go with a Floyd type. You're going to want to check for stud spacing because I because I believe they're spaced differently on the Ibanez versions and Floyds. Kahlers are definitely worth the money and they're by far my favorite trem ever but you've already lost two of the major benefits of them: no enormous rout required and direct coupling of the bridge with the top. You'd have to get what's called a fat plate to cover up your Floyd rout and then mount the Kahler on top of that. It's just not worth it.

I have used a Kahler for the last 15 years and prefer it to any other on the market. It has a much smother and is more sensitive to touch than a Floyd Rose in my opinion.

cool, I appreciate the replies.

Fatoni,

How often do you have to replace the bushings on the trem arm? I was just wondering about how long they last. Thanks

-AJH

the floyd, you can be farily aggressive with...
the kahler, requires a lighter touch.

i think they both work well, but i use the Kahler.

i think for finesse work, it rules.

that said, i've used an ibanez ZR (which to me, is just a floyd rose hybrid) and it worked very well....

One more thing that's good about Kahlers that nobody's mentioned is the fact that there are no edges to wear out. If your base plate goes bad on a Floyd you're hosed. It's time to get a new bridge. Kahler has replacements for every single part on the Pro bridges and they are fairly reasonable (the small parts anyway).

MesaENGR412 said:
cool, I appreciate the replies.

Fatoni,

How often do you have to replace the bushings on the trem arm? I was just wondering about how long they last. Thanks

-AJH
its a 93 and ive gone from 9s to 10s. still all original so...15 years at least. i really dont know because i bought it used from some guy with like 50 guitars. i dont even think this one was played. they are quality but i really did get lucky with this steal. which ibanez do you own

I own the RG470 from 2000. black with "P.O.S.mo" black hardware. I've replaced the humbuckers on it with EMG-Hz's i got from a friend, i have 2 sets (H1's I got for $50 and H4's I got for $60...each price was for the pair). I change them out occasionally, I think my Bridge H4 might be microphonic....i'm not sure. It looks like I'm going to go with a Floyd Rose Original, because it's basically a plug and play fit, with the Edge I'd have to route the trem cavity near the rear edge of the trem plate to make it fit. Plus, the only True Black Ibanez Edge bridge I can find is on Ebay right now for $299.99. I've even had my friend that works at a guitar store look for it to purchase from Ibanez, and it doesn't show up on their website.....don't know where the one came from that's on the bay, but, at that price...its' gonna stay there. I can get a OFR in black with the nut that I need to replace because mine's stripped for $210. If I bought the Ibanez parts from ebay new, It'd be $308.85 for the Edge bridge and $59.95 for the nut, totaling almost as much as I paid for my guitar new in 2000 lol.....I mean, the stuff needs replaced, but, I could just buy a newer ibanez model for a couple hundred more bucks with the Edge Pro or Edge III bridge already on it!!......

Sorry for the rant, thanks for all of the replies guys.....might look at putting a Kahler on my Stratocaster....i dunno :twisted:

-AJH

i had a kahler 2300 on my esp, nice feeling trem, but the strings would unwind (daddario) when i used it much at all, so i had to solder the windings. i bought it for 344... and when i got it installed the guy said he could have gotten it for like 250 or 175 i dont know it was a long time ago but i felt really ripped off. so go to a repair shop or something and order it through them, it might be a whole lot cheaper. i liked the floyd better for its string clamps (pain in the *** but work really well) and its lower price. i dont know much about the kahler fulcrum trems though.

Kahler just started offering their Floyd style string clamps again. They're the best ever made and have a built in string tree so you don't need to add one after the unit like on a Floyd. If you're going OFR for the bridge you might look at throwing a Kahler nut on it. One thing to watch out for with the Floyd is your fretboard radius. Anything over 15" is going to cause a problem and require shimming of the saddles on the Floyd since they're not individually adjustable.

devilrob1979 said:
One thing to watch out for with the Floyd is your fretboard radius. Anything over 15" is going to cause a problem and require shimming of the saddles on the Floyd since they're not individually adjustable.

It says the Wizard II neck has a 400 mm radius...is this within the parameters? Thanks

-AJH

Anyone remember Washburn Wonderbar? Some 20 years ago I thought it was one of the better ones. Anyway, if a trem was to be involved I'd usually use Kahler 2600 and/or 2700 series and Ibanez Edge Pro. Have yet to try Ibanez Edge 2003 but it does look awesome.

Other trems rub against the palm of my picking hand too much. Just can't stand that.

I hate Kahlers. They eat your tone.

I've been using original Floyds (old ones, from the early 80's), but I've also modified them quite a bit. Here's some fun stuff you can do:

- The Big Block mod. You know the block that bolts under the Floyd that the strings attach to? You take it out and replace it with solid brass that's twice as thick, double the mass. Makes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference in tone and sustain. I just did this a few months ago, and I can't even begin to tell you the difference it made. It just rocks. Go to ebay and search on "Big block floyd rose." It's worth every penny. Heavy is good!

- Fine tuners suck. Having the bridge being all floppy like that hurts the sustain and the tone. I think Ibanez fixed this with their tremolos--those things are built like tanks. But, I already have Floyds. Do this--tune your guitar with the tuners all the way out, play it, and then tune them with the tuners tightened down as far as they'll go. You'll get better sustain with them down. I just got rid of the tuning knobs and put in slightly longer allen wrenches so I could tighten it down until they were fixed and now the whole thing is one piece.

- I don't have fine tuners--how do I tune? I flattened the little "monopoly house" nut locks with a Dremel tool, and got some longer allen bolts at Home Depot. Take four or five washers and smooth them out with really fine sandpaper so there are no burrs. Put these on the bolt before the fine tuner, and lubricate with teflon or something. Now rotating the bolt won't rotate the lock. I can lock my strings down, now, and the tuning doesn't change.

- Make sure the bolts in the nut are good and tight. Otherwise it can move a little when you tighten the locks and your tuning will change.

- Shims are your friend! A lot of players don't know there are precut steel shims out there, both for the nut and for the tremolo. You can get them in different thicknesses and adjust bot the nut and individual string height. These are especially handy if you have a custom radius. I'm using Warmoth's compound radius, so I need a much flatter tremolo. I used all six saddles of the same height, and shimmed them to get the radius I needed.

- Most production guitars ship with the nut cut way too high, because it's a lot of trouble to get it just right. But, this will make a HUGE difference in playability. You have to remove the wood under the tremolo to lower it--ideally it would be exactly at the same height as the frets. I usually cut too much (doh!), and go back to the previous post--Shims are your friend!

Original Floyd Rose all the way. I have an early 80's Kramer with the Original style Floyd and a Tom Anderson Drop top with the original Floyd.

I have tried Kahlers and other makers trems...and most of the Floyd knock offs and consider the original the height of locking trem evolution. Having said that I dont use Floyd guitars much anymore

Looks like i'm going to be putting a down payment on an Original Floyd Rose tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone on this forum has retrofitted one to an Ibanez guitar and how smoothly the transition is? It says the OFR's come with a 254mm radius and my guitar has a 400mm radius (Wizard II). Will I be able to accomodate this bridge on my guitar? Will I have to use shims to adjust for the radius difference? Thanks

-AJH

You're probably going to have to shim your saddles most likely. According to that your Floyd has a radius of 10 inches and your board has a radius of 15.7 something inches. My guess is you're going to have to shim your saddles

Well, I got the floyd. It's an amazing bridge, but I have a few questions. It looks like I am def. going to have to shim the saddles. But, I have noticed that the bridge posts that came with the floyd do not fit into the ibanez bridge posts (They are slightly thicker in diameter and have a lot smaller threads, which makes it a lot more finely tunable height-wise). My question is, how hard would it be to have the original bridge posts and studs that are in the guitar replaced? ( I would most likely have it done professionally) I was just wondering how you get the piece that is down in the wood out, and install the other one, and approximately how much would this cost? (The Floyd's studs are larger than the Ibanez's as well) I have the bridge sitting on the old bridge's posts, and it's fine, but I'd like to be able to use the ones that came with it because they are a lot better quality.

Thanks for all the replies so far, the guitar looks great, and the sustain is KILLER with this bridge. I love how it feels, just gotta get it set up, and the posts changed, then it'll be like a brand new guitar again!

-AJH

Back