FJA Modified Rectifier - Review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff191

Reaction score
Well I got my Recto back from FJA and have had a bit of time to play around on it and thought I would give a little rundown for those who are curious. Keep in mind the comparisons I make are only of my opinion and are used to give reference to the sounds and tones I am describing!!

First off lets start with the amp:

- 2008 3 Channel Recto
- Bias Mod
- Channel 3 Presence mod
- 4 x Sovtek WXT+ 6L6's, JJ & EH 12AX7 preamp tubes, 2x 5U4GB Rectifier tubes

What FJA Mods did:

- "Standard" Mod (Clarity, tightens low end, eliminates high end fizz)
- Push/Pull Gain Boost (effective on Channel 2 & 3)

Channel 1:
As soon as I turned the amp on I noticed the clean channel has a bit more "spank" to it. Just a bit more punch if you will. Before the mod you really had to turn the bass and treble up to get a decent attack and note definition. Very nice.

Channel 2:
Because the bottom end of the amp was tightened (i.e. focused), Channel 2 has ALOT of low end. I usually kept my bass right around 1:30, but now its closer to noon with similar effect. Treble is at noon, mids are at 11:00, with presence about 11:30. Nice and thick with some bite. I use this as kind of a crunch channel, so gain is right around 10:00 with the Gain Boost engaged (more on this in a minute).

Channel 3:
So this is where you will hear the modifications have the most effect. There is almost no high end fizzle in this channel at all anymore. To my ears it sounds like its at the expense of some gain, as I found I had to turn the gain to about 3:00 to get near the 1:00 I had it at prior to the mod. No big deal. Without the fizzle I was so used to hearing, the notes really sounded like a cross between a Recto and a Mark IV. Really tight, but saturation at kind of a minimum.

So at this point I have to say I was pretty happy with the mod. It DID sound better than when it left, but it really sounded kind of lacking in the gain on both channels. Kind of. Its really hard to explain. You find yourself strumming the guitar harder in hopes that the attack with translate into more break up, but it doesnt. You alisten for alot of breakup and fizz, and you just hear smooth, butter-like gain. Like if a Mark IV and a 5150 had a child or something. Not bad by any means, just different.

Then I realized I hadn't even tried the Gain Boost. I pulled it and was instantly transported into Holy Sh!t Land (population: me). It was like the most transparent, god-like Maxon OD808 ever. But built right into the amp.

Edit: My previous statements about the modified amp sounding like my Rev. E Recto were a little off. I actually think something might be wrong with my Peavey 4x12, as its starting to sound progressively more broken up. The amp sounds great through my Mesa 4x12 however. But more in the 5150 style.

So now the gain on Channel 3 is right at noon. And it is really saturated, with lots of attack and very little noise to boot. The kind of tone that really makes it hard to put your guitar down.

So to wrap it up, I have always felt the making of a good tube amp is if you can put all the dials at noon and it sounds really good. You absolutely could not do that with this (or any other 3 Channel Recto) amp before. It sounded like a mid-range heavy duck in Channel 3. After about an hour or so of playing, most of the settings on the amp are right around noon. Go figure.

My Rev. E to which I compared the 3 Channel too is really like a monster truck: it's alot of fun, but you aren't going to be getting groceries in it anytime soon. With the lacking cleans and 2 Channels, I found I really like the practicality of 3 Channels and newer features (solo boost, less noise and hiss, etc).

I had put TAD 6L6's in this amp before sending it off to NYC, and take it from me: DONT put a really nice set of tubes in anything if it is about to travel 6000 miles round trip. The dont survive. They lasted about 15 minutes upon initial power-on. Which works out, because I really didn't like how they sounded anyways....

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask anything you want!

Cool review!

After selling one of my Rev. F Rectifiers and trading the other for a 3 channel Triple from '08, I got to spend a lot of quality time with the newer Rectifier after being in 2ch land for a few years. In the past weeks I've been turning the cab away from me to fill up the room a bit more - I think this works better in a live situation anyway - and to kill the beam that's been annoying me since I started playing years ago. I have to say, with new ears, the 3ch held up! I quickly found a lot of new settings that made the amp much better for me, including - and this only works if you're not right next to the amp - turning the bass control down on ch 3 to about 9:00 or less. With 3 channels, the amp is a powerful tool in live applications and possibly even more so in the studio. In the end, I had to sell either it or my Uberschall. I don't want to sound like an ******* here - and I know I'm going to - but the Uberschall has just a little extra in it that the Mesa doesn't.

Basically, the reason I like the Twin Jet so much is that 1) the gain on the Uber is blistering fast where the Mesa gets sluggish, even with bass down and treble and presence up. 2) the Uber has an unbelievable first channel that really brings out your guitar's tone. A Strat on ch 1 of the Twin Jet, in its neck position, sounds phenomenal! 3) the Uber can get clean the way the Mesa can't, and even though it's not a Fender clean, it really works for the amp.

Now the reason I mention that is because it seems like you've countered all my gripes with the FJA mods to make your Rectifier more into what you want it to be! What's more is that you probably did it for less money than the Uberschall, and you've got an amp that is flat out more flexible live. I think a stock Rectifier still sounds great, but let's face facts: a stock Rectifier has more sag than what's usually preferable for metal, not to mention too little relative gain. It sounds like the FJA mod made that push-pull gain boost earlier in the gain stages at a higher frequency, essentially tightening the amp up and adding more relative gain. Very cool!

Anyway, congrats on what sounds like an awesome "new" amp! Here's to wondering whether I should have sold mine! :lol:

TheMagicEight said:
Now the reason I mention that is because it seems like you've countered all my gripes with the FJA mods to make your Rectifier more into what you want it to be! What's more is that you probably did it for less money than the Uberschall, and you've got an amp that is flat out more flexible live. I think a stock Rectifier still sounds great, but let's face facts: a stock Rectifier has more sag than what's usually preferable for metal, not to mention too little relative gain. It sounds like the FJA mod made that push-pull gain boost earlier in the gain stages at a higher frequency, essentially tightening the amp up and adding more relative gain. Very cool!

Anyway, congrats on what sounds like an awesome "new" amp! Here's to wondering whether I should have sold mine! :lol:

You are very right about the stock 3 Channel Recto. I have never actually heard an Uberschall in person so did not want to compare the two amps, but imagine its in that range of tone. The Uberschall is one hell of an amp, and wish I could afford one. But as you mention, 3 Channels can't be beat! This is about as close as I can get to a Bogner without buying one! :lol:

I have never gotten to play the new twin jet, but I have had two revisions of the uber, I had a blue and the I believe what was the second revision of the uber. Now with the two older revisions, side by side with the rectifiers, my roadking as well as my Dual Rec R0005 both sounded better then the ubers, not much but there was just alot more flexability with the rectifiers in terms of tone shaping. The uber seemed darker and where I would have all the controls set on 12 noon on the recto's, in order to get the uber to the same bright level I would have to have the treble on around 3.

I am not down playing the ubers and like I said not sure about the new twin jet and honestly if I didnt have the roadking and just the two channel rec, I would have probaly kept one of the ubers. The one thing the uber had over the rec's was that you didnt need a boost in front, although I did prefer to keep the gain lower and still use a boost.

TheMagicEight said:
Cool review!

After selling one of my Rev. F Rectifiers and trading the other for a 3 channel Triple from '08, I got to spend a lot of quality time with the newer Rectifier after being in 2ch land for a few years. In the past weeks I've been turning the cab away from me to fill up the room a bit more - I think this works better in a live situation anyway - and to kill the beam that's been annoying me since I started playing years ago. I have to say, with new ears, the 3ch held up! I quickly found a lot of new settings that made the amp much better for me, including - and this only works if you're not right next to the amp - turning the bass control down on ch 3 to about 9:00 or less. With 3 channels, the amp is a powerful tool in live applications and possibly even more so in the studio. In the end, I had to sell either it or my Uberschall. I don't want to sound like an ******* here - and I know I'm going to - but the Uberschall has just a little extra in it that the Mesa doesn't.

Basically, the reason I like the Twin Jet so much is that 1) the gain on the Uber is blistering fast where the Mesa gets sluggish, even with bass down and treble and presence up. 2) the Uber has an unbelievable first channel that really brings out your guitar's tone. A Strat on ch 1 of the Twin Jet, in its neck position, sounds phenomenal! 3) the Uber can get clean the way the Mesa can't, and even though it's not a Fender clean, it really works for the amp.

siggy14 said:
I have never gotten to play the new twin jet, but I have had two revisions of the uber, I had a blue and the I believe what was the second revision of the uber. Now with the two older revisions, side by side with the rectifiers, my roadking as well as my Dual Rec R0005 both sounded better then the ubers, not much but there was just alot more flexability with the rectifiers in terms of tone shaping. The uber seemed darker and where I would have all the controls set on 12 noon on the recto's, in order to get the uber to the same bright level I would have to have the treble on around 3.

I am not down playing the ubers and like I said not sure about the new twin jet and honestly if I didnt have the roadking and just the two channel rec, I would have probaly kept one of the ubers. The one thing the uber had over the rec's was that you didnt need a boost in front, although I did prefer to keep the gain lower and still use a boost.
I don't think the previous Ubers were bad amps, and set up properly I'd probably take one over a 2 channel Rectifier - most likely for no other reason than I've played Rectifiers for years where the Uberschall is still pretty new to me - but the Twin Jet is definitely a step in the right direction. With mine, I prefer to run the depth control off - I don't really like that much bass - and have the master presence up just enough at 9:00. The master presence seems to be what the previous Ubers really lacked, as the channel presence is actually a low midrange cut. That said, the TMB controls are a little counter-intuitive and have a pretty big effect on each other, working in a way unlike Rectifiers or just about any other amp.

All things considered, I love the Rectifier gain channel and certainly miss it. The thing that really sells me on the Twin Jet is that first channel. It does ANYTHING with a superior command, something the 2 channel couldn't. Where the Twin Jet can be set up like a unique JCM800 for a Strat, the Rectifier - the two channel, not the Road king - would have been mud. What's more is that with the Uber, if you roll the volume off the guitar it cleans up perfectly!

What I also like about the Uberschall is that you have your basic tone of the amp, but if you get to know it enough and really learn the controls, you can make the amp sound like a lot of different things. I know the Rectifiers are awesome amps, but I'd rather have the two channels - and don't forget that a clean channel is only a volume knob away - with an amp that doesn't need a boost to get the amount of saturation it does.

The great thing about it though, is that the Uber and Rectifier are different amps competing for different things. Sure there's some overlap, but for a lot of stuff that I was doing before and now not so much, the Rectifier might have been better.

Anyway, it's worth checking out the Twin Jet!

I have spent time with the Twin Jet and many other Ubers ..... I like my Tremoverb better than any of them. This is only a matter of taste.

You can always find people who like one amp better than a other ..... with all amps.

I think the Uber is a great amp and the Twin is the best one so far. But if I liked it better than my Tremoverb ..... I would have one.
YMMV :D

the_wallcrawler said:
I'd love to hear some audio clips comparing your modded amp vs. your 92 recto if possible.

I knew that was going to come up at some point. I have no recording gear at all. :oops:

I really enjoy reading your posts, great review, the only problem is I live in Australia and cant get mine done! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back