First timer.. Question about my mesa!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm

Reaction score
Hello everyone:
I jsut stumbled across this board, and am stoked to see such a great group of friendly, informed mesa users. Hopefully I can become a useful contributor!

Anyways.. I have a rectoverb combo, series 2. I still have the stock tubes in it and am thinking of swithing them over to get a different tone. I really enjoy the British amp tones, but am predominately a mesa fan. Is there a way to secure the best of both worlds? Perhaps switiching the tubes? Any ideas?

Also, I am looking for a good overdive pedal to put in front of the mesa to push it a bit. Currently I am using a PODxt to help give me some options, but I'd rather ditch it for some quality effects since I only use a few basic effects. I really like the classic tones of the TS9 and such, but am open to any suggestions? I just hate how a lot of pedals make you lose the bottom end of your tone. Any suggestions?

Sorry for te logn post and many questions, but thought I would start with the most knowledgable people I could find! Thanks!

-jrm

Hi JRM,
There are quite a few very knowledgeable people on this site. Another source of info is Bob Pletka at Eurotubes.com He's very knowledgeable about tubes and tone. You may also want to pick his brain, if you're looking for a tube change. He offers matched JJ tube kits for Mesa's. It just might breath new life into your amp.

You've got really only 2 choices of tubes, 6L6's or EL34's, but there are several choices to choose from and one set can sound a bit different from the next. I'd email Bob at eurotubes and ask him, if you tell him what you want he can probably get you fixed up.

Right now, the Rectoverb has stock 6L6's in it which have the characteristic sound of:

* more low end, but a bit looser....
* a few less mids and a lower frequency mid tone
* More of a sizzle

EL34's have:

* Less low end, but it's tighter
* a more high mid sound to them
* less sizzle

Switching tubes to EL34's will change your tone a bit, but it will still sound like a Rectoverb. My Sound man LOVED it when I switched to EL34's in my Tremoverb, he said they sounded better with the band (he's also a big Marshall fan).

As far as stompboxes..... The TS or the ZW (Zakk Wylde) OD seems to be the two favorites around here. I personally have a hard time choosing between my TS or my Mesa Boogie V-Twin. I love both of them, and the V-twin doesn't take away the low end, as a mater of fact, you have to watch the bass knob on the dang thing or it will make your amp "flab" out with too much low end being sent to the preamp.

Thats my $.02 worth.

Welcome to the board!!

Thanks for the tonal advice on how they will change my tone! Sounds like a change will do me good... I've heard mixed reviews about eurotubes... Anyone have any personal experiences? I've also heard mixed things about JJ tubes as well.. any advice?

I'd love a v-twin actually, but they are rather difficult for me to find and to try out... I guess I'll have to keep looking. Maybe the Keely modded TS9 would be a good one to consider too..

Thanks for the welcome!

Anyone have any personal experiences?

I have JJ's in both my F-50 and my Blues Jr. They have been great. It produces a nice grind on the overdrives and are tonally smoother and less harsh. Keep in mind that I did not get the high gain options on them. I was looking for more clean head room when I had ordered mine.

As far as service, Bob backs his tubes extremely well, and he provides great overall service and advice.

Thats the good thing about JJ tubes, you can tell him you want a cleaner tone and he'll ship you tubes that'll give you that. You tell him you want to get that most distortion out of your amp that you can and he'll set you up with those tubes. Or if you want more mids, or more bottom end he'll give you suggestions and he stands behind his tubes. I think theres not one person on this board that had tried them that wouldn't recommend them.

It sounds like you might be a good candidate for using EL34s, preferring a british sound but with the unique tone of a Mesa. I switched out my 6L6s quite some time ago and I much prefer the ELs.

Your amp WILL give you the best of both worlds with this simple change. Every so often I stick the 6L6s in again to make sure, and then say... YAH!!!! EL34s all the way.

As for the tubes themselves? Holy cow, I am a bit sceptical about the testimonials for changing your brand of tubes especially if it is a more pricey proposition. Is there something physically different about these tubes that consistently provides better sound? :?

jrm said:
Thanks for the tonal advice on how they will change my tone! Sounds like a change will do me good... I've heard mixed reviews about eurotubes... Anyone have any personal experiences? I've also heard mixed things about JJ tubes as well.. any advice?

I'd love a v-twin actually, but they are rather difficult for me to find and to try out... I guess I'll have to keep looking. Maybe the Keely modded TS9 would be a good one to consider too..

Thanks for the welcome!

jrm said:

Well I just got my first order of JJ tubes in the mail today from Bob at Eurotubes. I havn't thrown them in my DR yet but as soon as I do I'll post my results....

I can speak for customer service however. I just started looking into tubes for my DR one week ago and have e-mailed Bob at Eurotubes several times (thanks to everyone's suggestions here!) and he has been extremely helpful. Not to mention, I ordered a retube kit online 3 nights ago and they were in my mailbox when I got home from work today. Talk about a quick turn around! If you're thinking about JJ's, Eurotubes is the way to go.

Welcome to the board jrm! I'll be hitting the slopes of Vail on Saturday so I might see ya up there!!

Not a Rectoverb owner here, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think the Rectoverb's have a bias select, do they?

jbird said:
Not a Rectoverb owner here, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think the Rectoverb's have a bias select, do they?

Yup, they do. At least on the series II they do.

I actually tried EL34's in my ROV and wasn't crazy about them. Maybe I'm just too much of a sucker for the classic "Recto" sound. I did like them a bit with channel 2, but not for a sparkeling clean sound on channel 1. I've never had a great clean sound out of my ROV but I'm going to try the preamp tubes next. I probably don't play my ROV loud enough to really tell the difference between the EL34's and the 6L6's anyway. I leave the loud stuff for my DR.

Yes and I agree with whoever said keep the 6L6's if you like classic Mesa tone. I'm a ZW-44 er as far as the overdrive, assuming what you want is something that does not color your sound but gives you more flexibility in the gain area. Also the ZW can be had for about $85 or even less on Ebay.
FYI - the reason the ZW-44 exists, is that allegedly Zack couldn't get shred level tone out of his Marshall and wanted a pedal that would simply give him more gain, while keeping the same sound. Might be a crock but it sounded good to me :) and the pedal is as advertised.

tele_jas said:
Yeah, they do have the bias switch. I had one a few months ago and clearly remember seeing the switch.

wow, thanks for the advice guys! sounds like it might be wise to switch them out and see what happens. I can always switch them back to the stock tube sif I don't like it! Thanks you guys.. I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back