First time R-O-V left the house to jam....left me worried

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargapix

Reaction score
I bought a Rect-O-Verb 50 Combo last week after debating over a Marshall DSL Combo. I've read up and been on a few different forums to semi-understand the whole SS/tube amp semi-well. I read MESA's catalogue description and history and liked what they had to say about themselves and the history of the amp. OK...Metallica using it swayed me as well, but many of my favorites have or use Marshalls ...eg Zakk Wylde...etc.

Anyway, I've been able to dial in some good sounds...cleans, bluesy and lite crunch. I can also get a good heavy, tight distortion on low volume. Today however, I took it to my friend's basement and was ready to rock out. Again the cleans were crisp and clear, pushed gave me some good tone and Vintage setting was sounding nice and dirty with long sustain and nice harmonics. My only gripe is that I couln't dial in a good LOUD tight Metallicaish crunch!! I tried various settings and just couldn't get locked in. Settings:

Modern / gain 2-3 oclock / treble 2-3 oclock / mid 8-9 oclock / bass 2-3 oclock / presence 1-2 oclock / reverb off / Master 12 / Output 10.

I tried many configurations but wound up getting a super high pitched squealing sound which I guess is microphony(saw that word in MESA manual!) when I tried to get a higher volume. Again...low-mid sounded ok, but I want loud and heavy distortion!! ...and justice for all, far beyond driven Black Label Society type sounds.

I know I may be asking for a lot, but for $1400 bucks I want my amp to be able to do a lot.

Can I get some serious gain and crunch at high volumes or should I take it back and get a Marshall DSL?!

Any setting would help as well!

Thanks!

My gear is...MESA ROV 50, PODxtlive, Epiphopne ZW-LP (EMG 81-85), ESP KH602 (EMG 60-81)

JA

I am pretty new to this amplifier business but I am pretty sure that Black Label Society is as heavy as a Marshall amp can get (go Zakk). I don't consider Marshall as a metal amplifier although I am pretty sure Metallica did use them early on (still do for rehersals).
Kirk uses a Dual Recto and James uses the Triple Recto, but essentially they are the same thing. Thou the Dual Recto and the Triple Recto are heavier than the one that you have (well thats what the guy at my local music store said today anyway.) So I think you probably want a Dual.

By the way; Go Metallica!!! :lol:

Start w/ your bass-mid-treb-pres all at 12:00 and make fine adjustments from there. Think you will get better results with a bit less bass and more mid that what you're running now. Also if your combo is open-back, you might want to try adding a sealed cab for a little more "slam".

As for the feedback, put a noise gate like a boss ns2 or ISP decimator between your guitar and amp. Even the best guitars/pickups can squeal out of control if you play loud with high gain.

Ok its late and this is a shot in the dark but here goes.

First.

At least temporarilly Ditch the podxtlive from your signal chain.

If your using the podxtlive as a preamp, DONT By running another high output preamp into the pushed dirty channel of your Recto your gonna get heinous noise possibly. If you are using it as a preamp and then attempting to dialing in distortion on the Rectoverb you may be completely obliterating any semblence of tightness or full tone on the rectoverb.

My suggestion :

1: If you havent already tried to get Wicked crunch out of the rectoverb without any effects. Run the amp by itself and dial a tone in.

2: use your podxtlive for effects, (does the rectoverb have an effects loop, if so might want to patch thru there), and not for Crunch.

Reason I bring this up is that you mentioned some "super high pitched squealing"

This can be the result of WAY too much gain. Also, How close was your guitar to the amp it could simply be a feedback loop.

And yeah you should be able to get some Serious Crunch Tones out of that bad boy. Good luck, Let us know.
:D

Thanks guys,

I've been fiddling some more with it today at home. I didn't mention some things in my dispair yesterday.

1) The unit I have is the floor model that was on display in GC for a few months. A brand new sealed one is on the way!

2) I changed the power tubes from 6l6 Greys to EL34 Yellows. Didn't touch the pre-amp tubes.

3) I run the XTL straight into the input as MESA told me that XTL won't work with the effects loop. I use the XTL only for the noise gate, chorus, delay and wah. I plug in late at night and record into my computer with the amp mods. It also has a four band equalizer which helps in shaping the tone, but it was bypassed yesterday.

I guess I'm really asking...How loud can I turn this bad boy up without getting that ear piercing squeal. It's not feedback. If I try to set Master and Output to 12. SQEAAAALL!! ..and not Deliverance style!

I know I won't be able to max out both volumes, but would think I could get a least one of the volumes to 2 or 3 respectively.

Today I tried again without XTL and same deal, only worse without the gate.

I took out the EL34's and put the 6L6's back...now the squealing starts with both controls at 12...slight improvement. I've read online that it could be a pre-amp tube. It kind of explains how to go about checking them, but isn't super clear. Any advice would be appreciated.

As for now, I'm waiting for my new amp to arrive and I'm gonna bring my gear into the store and go at it in the loud room. If that fails, I may just save some more and get the stilletto!

JA

Jargaguy,

I would just buy a few preamp tubes to have as spares...they're not that expensive and you never know when one will go and puke on you. It sounds like it is the V1 (first preamp tube)...I'd start there as it is a very simple fix and will take about 2 minutes to check. If that isn't the problem, you still have the spare preamp tubes for your new amp.

I'm not familiar with the R-O-V combo tube layout, but it probably has the V1 preamp tube all the way to the right in the preamp section. (If you're looking at the amp from the back.) If the tubes are upside down, then that should be the layout. I could be wrong, so double check...

...oh, and just make sure the power is disconnected before you go sticking your hands anywhere back there. (I'm sure you already knew that.)

Back