First Post!!!Got myself a Mk.III any tone tips?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaneleven

Reaction score
Mk.III, Simul-class ,EQ./,purple stripe head circa '88 head in great shape initialed "mb" on rear panel. There's no selector for simul-class -good /bad? any way it sounds great in all 3 modes thru my boogie 1x12 (v-30) I'd like some tone tips mod suggestions and how the "hell the knobs work" guide from you expers. Thanx in advance - dman.

Congrats and welcome. My experience with my MarkIII is kind of a love hate relationship. Some days I can turn it on and it sounds like a Mesa should (bad *** tone). Some days it seems like things never get warmed up and the tone is very "thin". Could just be my ears though. Some people have told me that there is no reason to use a dist\overdrive pedal with the boogie because of the three channels and the amount of gain present but I use them so, as usual, do what you think sounds good. If you don't have the foot switches I strongly suggest getting them or something comparable. I guess my biggest complaint with my Mark is the non cavernous reverb. I loves me some reverb :wink:

Welcome, fellow Mark III owner/operator.
What exceedingly good taste you have, sir.
The switch for Simul-Class will be on the far right of the rear chassis next to the cooling fins, or it's on the front panel. No switch means no Simul-Class.
If you have only two power tubes, you don't have a Simul-Class amp. No biggie.
The "MB" initials belong to Mike Bendinelli, who did the final test.
The manual is available at the Mesa website, and has many setting suggestions.
To start, you might try:
Volume - 7
Treble - 7
Bass - 3
Middle - 5
Everything else to taste.
Mark IIIs have a 3-spring reverb, which is more diffuse than the "regular" 2-spring we're all familiar with from classic Fender amps.
The number on the reverb tank is "9AB2A1B". If you replace it with a tank with the designation "4AB2A1B", you'll get more a more obvious, crashy kind of reverb.
Seacrest out! :D

MrMarkIII said:
No switch means no Simul-Class.

this amp came retubed with all 6l6's but the two outer tubes glow harder. you can tell their working harder...?

MrMarkIII said:
Welcome, fellow Mark III owner/operator.
What exceedingly good taste you have, sir.
The switch for Simul-Class will be on the far right of the rear chassis next to the cooling fins, or it's on the front panel. No switch means no Simul-Class.
If you have only two power tubes, you don't have a Simul-Class amp. No biggie.
The "MB" initials belong to Mike Bendinelli, who did the final test.
The manual is available at the Mesa website, and has many setting suggestions.
To start, you might try:
Volume - 7
Treble - 7
Bass - 3
Middle - 5
Everything else to taste.
Mark IIIs have a 3-spring reverb, which is more diffuse than the "regular" 2-spring we're all familiar with from classic Fender amps.
The number on the reverb tank is "9AB2A1B". If you replace it with a tank with the designation "4AB2A1B", you'll get more a more obvious, crashy kind of reverb.
Or a 9AB3A1B for more reverb decay. Look for the letter "R" on the rear panel written in sharpie marker to see if it has the (MESA) factory reverb modification.

Congrats!

I may go thru phases where I dont use my Mark III as much, but it will never leave my side. Bad *** amp. I have a purple as well.

The only tone tips I have is pull all the knobs (cept the ch switching ones of corse) and run the volume and treble high (7-8).

Latest posts

Back