First Gig with LoneStar Special - WOW!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox5150

Reaction score
Hi All,

I played my first gig with the LoneStar Special last night. I bought the LSS a couple of weeks ago to replace my digital rig - GT-8, Radtones Harmonic Converger and a pair of Mackie SRM450s.

I used my Gibson Les Paul predominantly last night and the tones were amazing. Other than my volume pedal I was going straight into the amp - I only used the volume pedal so that my tuner wasn't in the signal path. At band practice I've used my Strat and Tele with the amp and loved the sound with both of them, but the Les Paul just shines. Beautiful warm tones, but they cut through fantastically as well. Even the sound guy commented on how good it sounded. The only slight nuisance was that I had to drive the amp harder than I wanted to (just over halfway) but hey, isn't that how you get those great tube tones!

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know how fantastic this amp is and, to all those concerned about it not sounding so good with humbuckers, it sounds fantastic!

Fox

I will soon be in the market for a EL84 based amplifier. I am looking for a amp to complement my Stiletto Deuce Stage II. There is something about the EL84's that gets me. I stop @ my local everyday it is about a 5 minute ride and they always have at least one of every mesa model to plug into. I have been playing through the LSS quite frequently and have been loving it.

Congrats

Tried one of the LS's at the local store. Nice sound even at low volumes! I got some audience as well. Played it with a PRS custom 24. Really nice combination

I just got an LSS this week. I had one a few years ago, but didn't keep it very long. Well now it''s back and is #1. It will be going out next weekend with me. I'm sitting in with a friend's band for two shows. I have rehearsed this week twice with it in another band and it is just about the sweetest amp I've played.

It has bumped my Bogner Metropolis (very similiar) and a Koch Twintone out of the top spots. The honeymoon may still be hot, but the LSS is one amp that I'll stick with for a long time

picnic said:
I just got an LSS this week. I had one a few years ago, but didn't keep it very long. Well now it''s back and is #1. It will be going out next weekend with me. I'm sitting in with a friend's band for two shows. I have rehearsed this week twice with it in another band and it is just about the sweetest amp I've played.

It has bumped my Bogner Metropolis (very similiar) and a Koch Twintone out of the top spots. The honeymoon may still be hot, but the LSS is one amp that I'll stick with for a long time

Besides control options, what would you say are the main differences tone wise between the LSS and the Bogner Metropolis?

fox5150 said:
Hi All,

I played my first gig with the LoneStar Special last night. I bought the LSS a couple of weeks ago to replace my digital rig - GT-8, Radtones Harmonic Converger and a pair of Mackie SRM450s.

I used my Gibson Les Paul predominantly last night and the tones were amazing. Other than my volume pedal I was going straight into the amp - I only used the volume pedal so that my tuner wasn't in the signal path. At band practice I've used my Strat and Tele with the amp and loved the sound with both of them, but the Les Paul just shines. Beautiful warm tones, but they cut through fantastically as well. Even the sound guy commented on how good it sounded. The only slight nuisance was that I had to drive the amp harder than I wanted to (just over halfway) but hey, isn't that how you get those great tube tones!

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know how fantastic this amp is and, to all those concerned about it not sounding so good with humbuckers, it sounds fantastic!

Fox

Congrats!!! I had to run mine at around 1:00 at my first gig with my LSS too. But it was also on the floor! If you put it up on a chair, road case or amp stand you would find yourself turning it down a bit! Point that thing at your ears and you will see what I mean!

I just received a 1X12 matching Mesa cab so now I have a little mini Mesa Boogie LSS Stack!!! Perdy Kewl!!!

jjboogie said:
Congrats!!! I had to run mine at around 1:00 at my first gig with my LSS too. But it was also on the floor! If you put it up on a chair, road case or amp stand you would find yourself turning it down a bit! Point that thing at your ears and you will see what I mean!

I just received a 1X12 matching Mesa cab so now I have a little mini Mesa Boogie LSS Stack!!! Perdy Kewl!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I'd been lurking for a little while on here before using the amp last night and invested in one of the Gator cases that double as an amp stand - really worthwhile investment. Protects the amp, makes it easier to transport, doesn't add too much bulk and you're always sure of a solid base to put your amp on.

Usually, what I like to do is to get a nice tone out of the amp, before everybody else starts making a racket, and then get my monitor level right. Unfortunately, last night I had to share a monitor mix and the guy I was sharing it with was complaining that I was too loud in it - philistine! So I just turned the amp up and boy did it sing all night.

I've had some concerns over the sound coming through when playing on my own - a lot of high-end glassy, not quite icepick sounds - but when cranked in a band environment they get lost and the sound just cuts through the mix wonderfully, even over our enthusiastic drummer! The other guitarist uses a Series II Rectoverb and that also sounds fantastic. Between the pair of us there were some smokin' tones on stage last night.

After doing my research on here before purchasing, I can really see why people love this amp. It's truly wonderful with tones to die for. It's so responsive to the guitar. I went through the whole gig with the two channels and used my volume pot to clean the sound up as required. I play in a covers band so it needs to be versatile. I need to add some effects in to get certain sounds, but I was really pleased with the outcome last night.

Fox

"Besides control options, what would you say are the main differences tone wise between the LSS and the Bogner Metropolis"

The LSS has more clean headroom. Both amps sound in the same tone pocket. They have that thick, syrupy, 3D thing going on. The LSS is more tweakable for breakup. More knobs, more tubes, more power result in more options. I defintely like the LSS drive channel for grit more than the Bogner and a Red Snapper. Maybe the clean is more articulate on the LSS. .

The Bogner sounded better with my Anderson Tele on piezo. Channel switching is a plus. I have a Red Snapper I use with the Met and it's a nice pairing.

I've been gigging mine pretty relentlessly for the better part of two years... incredible!~ I love the tones. It really lets the sound of the guitar through, which was an important criteria for me. My Firebird sounds like a good 'Bird should, my Esquire stings AND sings and my Telecaster throws down a good cross between Rich Robinson and Keith Richards. Different sounding guitars... and they sound different through the amp, just like they should. I did have to do a little experimenting with pickup manufacturers and ohmages to get them all to balance... but with the help of Don Mare and Seymour's custom windings, everything is in it's place with minimal intervention of the knobs during a gig... now the guitar tech is just for changing strings! Lol! Good amp to pick up, guys, and I know you'll be as happy as I am!

Latest posts

Back