First Axe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love threads like this, my first guitar was a Stella/Silvertone singing cowboy type of thing hand me down form my fathers brothers, had a picture outline of a cowboy on a horse twirling a lariat painted on it in a white/cream color, probably 3/4 scale. My mom got angry over me annoying my brother by playing in our shared bed room and broke the back out of it hitting me with it ( what can I say she was a rage-aholic). Was hastily then replaced to alleviate the guilt by what my classical guitar teacher later (1965) thought might have been a Gibson Classical Guitar though when I first got it it was set up with steal strings and a metal piece the fit over the nut to raise the action for I guess slack key playing. I put nylon strings back on it, had a horrible bowed neck, no truss rod, My teacher felt so bad for me he would send me home with his very old ( 100yr + ? ) Martin to practice on.

My next axe was a early Sears Silvertone Dano Masonite single PU , narrow headstock again 3/4 neck. It was actually a decent guitar, Though hard to keep in tune for the Ernie ball supperslinkys I kept on it. Carried me through my HS bands, Was striped of it's original finish and painted with dayglow colors and was once borrowed by Steven Tyler when my band and his played a two band dance at my HS. Wish I still Had it but gave it to my friend Dave Kramer when I was in a band with him, he still has it or his exwife has it back in Jersey. My first real guitars were both Gibsons, a SG Custom and a Heritage 12 string accoustic, both 69/70ish. Still have them both.

I just did a quick image search and found this pic. I never thought I would see a picture of one of these, but this was my first guitar It's a 60s Hagstrom. I got it from my uncle for xmas in 1986, I was 12. He was doing some contractor work at some lady's house and saw it in the corner. I guess no one had played it for years, so he asked her to throw it in as part of his fee. He had given me a small Magnatone amp for my birthday a few months before (It was covered in mother of pearl, or something).

Anyway, I was really into VH at the time so it didn't take long for me to pull out the electric tape and stripe it up :D

1963_Hagstrom_Kent_PB-24-G_543716_front.jpg

my first was a handmade classical guitar that my uncle brought to me from South America in the 60's. My first electric was a Peavey T30. Excellent quack sounds on that one!

Yamaha "Eterna" Pacifica ET112. I think Pacificas are great entry-level guitars, hard to get a better instrument for under 200€. I still have the neck - me and my pops used it to create my favourite on-stage monstrosity - a homemade Explorer. So in a way I'm still playing my first axe :mrgreen:

My first "real" guitar was an eye-catching blu pearl Ibanez SA60 giò series, which I purchased when I was 15-16 years old.
I've heavily modified this guitar with Magnetics active pickups, and a tackeuchi floyd rose instead of the ugly 6 screws fender style bridge. I still use the guitar as a backup.
But my very first six strings was a classical guitar which instead of the nylon strings was equipped with electric guitar strings.
The guitar was produced by an italian brand called Eko, and was give to me from my dad, who received it from a friend when he was young. My dad never learnt to play guitar, so the guitar was left behind a wardrobe for years until I found it.

a beautiful black Squier Affinity Tele...that was twelve years ago(my 15th birthday present from my parents) I am primarily a set neck 24 3/4 scale kinda person these days but I still play that old Indonesian guitar at least once a week! lol

Silvertone, I was 5, cost my parents $7. First "real" guitar was a "Lark" Les Paul to go with my rickenbacker amp, but it sucked so I sold it and bought a Univox LP for $50 which I traded for 10 Zappa albums. I then had a knock off strat that was O.K. I bought an old 1955 Fender stratocaster when I turned 18 in 1980 to go with my 1972 Marshall 100 watt super lead, still have and occasionally use both.

My first electric was a fender mustang copy that my mom got me. The high E string was noticeably lower in volume than the
others and the action was high. LoL. $65. and she got me a $20. amp. I was one happy dude.

A black strat copy Cruise by VMI. Awful guitar. Got it along with a Gorilla combo. Hard times....

Mine was a black Gibson L6S deluxe called a "midnight special". I sold it a short time after to buy the L6S custom (also black) with the 6 position switch. Both of those are long gone but I ran across this L6S custom recently and couldn't pass it up. Those Bill Lawrence pickups sound every bit as good as I remembered them back in the day.
wapw.jpg

My first guitar was a Univox, sort of a strat shape, but with humbuckers. Decent guitar. After a year of saving money, I purchased a brand new Westbury Custom. It is a like double cutaway Les Paul. Still have the guitar and play it occasionally.

Latest posts

Back