FINALLY did the Series Mod on my Recto. A-MAZING.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
Welp, I FINALLY took the time to open up one of my Single Rectifiers to do the series mod. I'm sooo stoked to find that now running an EQ (w/ 'Verb and Delay ) in the loop is nothing short of AMAZING. Massive difference.

Getting a handle on the majority of the amps frequencies by the loop changes this amp in to a whole other beast. So clean, fat and rich with ZERO bloat. IMO, THIS is how to get a Recto to crossover in to Marshall territory. I say that as a proud owner of JCMs. In tandem with a clean boosted Boss SD-1 out front, this is where it's at! My favorite Tele through V30s.

If y'all don't know, find out. My other Rectos will be on the bench shortly.This is a treat!

Can you elaborate on this mod a little more? I have a rev G Dual Recto that I'm interested in doing some mods on. I've seen a little info on this mod but not much. I run a Rocktron Replifex through the loop for channel switching, lead boost and touch of delay but I've never really been satisfied with the results.

Can you elaborate on this mod a little more? I have a rev G Dual Recto that I'm interested in doing some mods on. I've seen a little info on this mod but not much. I run a Rocktron Replifex through the loop for channel switching, lead boost and touch of delay but I've never really been satisfied with the results.

Sure thing. An older thread right from this forum. 🤟

Recto Series Mod

( Edit: Correct link now )

Last edited:
Right on! Thank you for allowing me to be lazy. Very much appreciated. It doesn't happen much around my place with the misses nearby. lol
Now it's time to get to work!

No problem and you're welcome!
Good luck with your mod. Running an MXR EQ in the loop really takes out the bloat and makes the amp extremely focused. I still have the huge Recto trademark tone but with the bite and cut of a Marshall. Funny enough, now it's more SLO-ish vibe in Vintage mode.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the low end of the 6L6. I swapped them for EL34's. Apparently, it's my secret weapon. I get asked quite a bit about what mod I did to get "that" tone. A lot of people complain of that bloat but it's really an easy fix if you want to spend a little quality time and make a small investment with the amp. I know it's a little sacrilege, but I don't use any Mesa tubes. At the moment the pre's and power are all JJ's. I also run a Rocktron Replifex in the FX loop a little on the hot side. Nice little unit that does channel switching so no need for Mesa pedal. My only issue is this beast is loud as hell. Total overkill for small clubs. But boy can it deliver the message in a large venue or outdoor stage.

I am really curious of the outcome of this series mod. It sounds pretty amazing as is but I'm always open to improvements!

Back