Fender Super Sonic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been tooling around with one at a local store lately. Very versatile little puppy!! Maybe not so much on the Vintage channel, since there are only Volume, Treble and Bass knobs, but at least there are 2 modes. I really dig the dual gain stages of the Burn channel. I had been playing a Les Paul Studio - Premium Plus through it, but I took my Strat in last night.

Alright, two totally different beasts right?!? However, my Strat has a SD JB humbucker in the bridge. That along with the two Texas Special single coils pulled some pretty cool tones. I'd like to think that my guitar is pretty darn versatile, but when you start tweaking the two gain knobs you start venturing from old vintage pushed Fender tones into Marshall and even Mesa territory. Plus that effects loop used as a clean boost is pretty slick too.

The one that I've been playing is the head version through the 2x12 cabinet, but I really want to try the combo version that has reverb!! If you've been reading about these at all, and are half way interested...I highly suggest checking one out!!! As soon as I get my tax return, sell off some of my other junk and pay down my credit card...I'll be going back to get one for myself.

Dude I recently tried one of these amps out at Daddys, and these things rock. Not only does it have classic fender cleans sounds, but it is to me the first fender amp to have great hard rock distortion. With dual cascading gain controls you can dial in any sound from led zep to foo fighters. Bottom line is this thing does it all, except you might need to throw a boost in front of it for metal sounds, but other than it is an awsome amp and worth way more than they're selling it for.

I played one about a year or so ago. my reaction then was spontaneous and continuous vomiting to be honest. maybe I need to check it out again. but I remember it kinda sucking

I spent some time with this one (about 4 hours) and I don't like it. I much prefer my MKIV or even a 65' Twin Reissue. It still has a thin sounding overly mid-rangish distortion sound in the lead channel. This one is not for me...

I don't care for it. I do remember liking the Prosonic though when I gave it a quick demo years ago. The amp that has me buzzing right now as far as Fender goes is the Relic 59 Bassman 410 RI. Now that was amazing with the EJ strat.

I treid out a Super-Sonic when they first came out and was under whelmed by it. Last night I was Judging the King of the Blues thing at GC and after it was all done there was a Super-Sonic on stage and an LP, so I gave it about a half hour tryout. It sounded like a different amp than the one I played before. I was very impressed. Maybe enough so to replace my TRRI with it.

I'm also looking at the new Mesa Express 5:50 1X12, so these two are direct competitors. I've played them both, but not next to each other. It will be a much tougher decision than I thought it would be.

I love this amp. It's the best sounding amp for a rock guitarist that Fender has ever built, and it's actually the first one that sounds like a Boogie (the high-gain channel shares a lot with the Rectifier series of amps) :).

Here's a link to my in-depth review of the amp:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/1106_FenderSuperSonic.php

I liked the amp so much that I actually purchased it at retail in order to have one without waiting through our normal review process.

Scott

Latest posts

Back