Fed up with Guitar Center

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of crooks, if anyone knows of Willis Music in Cincinnati, DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, they are terrible crooks with horrible attitudes. GC in my area is pretty bad, they pretend to know everything and have the same stoner "know it all" sales people. I cant even go there anymore because of all the crappy knock off gear they have at this one and the dumb people that work there, the GM is named Matt Summe if anyone wants to know what a real tools name is also, un pro and dumb on all levels of business and professionalism.

Our local GC (Spokane WA) is pretty good, but they are limited to what they can carry by Corporate (being a pretty small market).

there are 2 good staff members there that I will deal with, both play and are quite knowledgable.

But the GC's in San Francisco and Seattle/Kirkland have a much larger selection.

I personally prefer a very small shop called Mark's Guitars...OUTSTANDING.

i like the small shops too. The one back home is great - i've gone there for 15 years!

I've been to GC a few times since starting this thread and they've actually been OK a time or two. I got to play an Express 5:50 and a PRS CE24 so I guess I can't say they are totally worthless, but they still aren't that great.

Last week I hauled my amp down there thinking they'd give me decent money for it on trade (why - i have no idea). After they cranked my amp as loud as possible (louder than i've EVER played it) to 'test it' they went on to say i'd be better off selling it to someone instead of trading it because they only give 50% of cost. :shock: Then, they only had one manager working so no one could even give me a price - that was after I called ahead and made sure someone would be able to help me. I was not too happy, but they did give me a box to ship the amp in so whatever...

The GC in San Diego has gone downhill over the years, too. Years back I would walk in and they had a few guys that knew me by name. They also knew that I did not waste their time and came in the store with the intent of buying something.

Now only the manager knows me and it's hard to get him to help me.
Seems like the guys that really knew what they were doing went on to better gigs and now they got a bunch of min. wage part timers that have more attitude than knowledge.

I just placed an order with MF for a couple items because I could not get anyone at GC to wait on me...that's 180 out of how it used to be!

I REFUSE to beg them to let me spend my money there!!! :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock:

Now I don't go there unless I know exactly what I want and that they have it in stock.
I miss the good old days...... :cry:

Dude avoid guitar centers period. IF you have to go then I suppose their fine for getting small things like picks and strings but overall they suck mediocre customer service, poor selections and overpriced. Try looking for specialty shops in your area, my buddy and I recently foudn one that sells primarily Mesa, Orange, PRS, Westwood, Fender USA, and Fernandes

I'm always on the lookout for a hidden mom and pop store, but with GC in town most have closed their doors apparently...

Yea that's probably it.

Just like you can't find a good hardware store ever since Home Depot came on the scene....
and just try to find parts for a faucet at HD.....they probably discontinued it the day after you bought it 'cuz the profit margin was not good enough for them...(sorry don't mean to rant) :oops:

the GC close to me opened a few years ago and killed my fav little shop that i have been going to for 14 years. This GC DOESNT even carry Mesa, all they really have is solid state practice amps, its really annoying, I am sure that corporate decided this is a small market......even though I live right next to Cincinnati and the nearest GC besides this one is 45 minutes north of the city. The GC here though is lame and the selection is lame, service is lame, manager is a noob. I dont go there because I feel like I should be selling stuff to them.

Back